Won’t bathe (beebee)

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Hi there! My male CWP does not like to bathe. I’ve tried several methods and they all seem to tick him right off. I know I could mist him, but don’t want to break his trust. I’ve tried talking him into the shower (away from the water Stream) and he screams. I’ve also tried water bowls, and the fountains. Any suggestions? Thank you!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Try a lettuce bath. Some parrots will only bathe this way, and they love it.
If all else fails try introducing him to the mister.

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
You could always desensitize him to the mister if you so wish.
You could do this by taking baby steps. Just introduce him to the mister and every time he doesn’t react negatively or seems comfy in the misters presence, reward with a high value treat.
Continue doing so until you could spray him with it for bath time.
But you don’t have to spray directly on him right away.
It could be a little gentle spray on the feet and then work your way up until he gets used to it.
And eventually I’m sure he will.
You could also keep him in the shower with you like u mentioned but let the stream of water flick off of you and onto him if that makes sense. This is a great way to improve the bond you already have built.
And lettuce baths are great since parrots (I’ve heard especially budgies) like to naturally lay or feel up on wet grass in the wild after a good rain shower. (This was also mentioned above)

OP
Beebee0221

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
You could do this by taking baby steps. Just introduce him to the mister and every time he doesn’t react negatively or seems comfy in the misters presence, reward with a high value treat.
It could be a little gentle spray on the feet and then work your way up until he gets used to it.
You could also keep him in the shower with you like u mentioned but let the stream of water flick off of you and onto him if that makes sense. This is a great way to improve the bond you already have built.
And lettuce baths are great since parrots (I’ve heard especially budgies) like to naturally lay or feel up on wet grass in the wild after a good rain shower. (This was also mentioned above)
Thank you, these are great suggestions. I’m going to take him in the shower with me and let the water flick on him. He smells like a red pepper and his foot is stained red at the moment 😂

Attachments

• IMG_2672.MOV
    3.2 MB

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
All good suggestions. On the mist. Get a new bottle, set to very fine mist use warm water. Point the mister up above the bird and let the fine mist fall back down on them.

Or may prefer to take a bath themselves in a shallow dish. I use serving dishes or casserole dish. Just put an inch if water or 2 inches of water in it. Really splash around with hand, can have sink running in background fir water noise . This can really stimulate them to jump in on their own. Or just leave a fresh bowl out fir them to find or explore . Or drop in some bottle caps thst might interest them to explore

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
What exactly is a lettuce bath? My Cockatiel hates water and will not sit still for any kind of shower.
lettuce bath is taking whole leaves of lettuce and wetting them a lot and laying down in the bottom of the cage. Lots of parrots liek to bath like that,

Most Reactions