Wood perches

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
New cage day! That's exciting!

I am very very lucky to have a parrot-only store in my city but their online shopping isn't nearly as updated as their store ;)

Most of the toys I have bought elsewhere are Planet Pleasures brand. Their perches are more toys than branch-like, though.
Planet Pleasures

I've also seen perches at Petco when I've been there. There isn't a huge selection but they did have some bark-covered options, not just dowels, as well as the rope/wood bridges.

I also like using this website to look at different styles of perches/nets/toys etc. I don't think they ship directly, but it's a good way for me to know the right description to search for online.
Perch Factory

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Itā€™s easy to cut natural wood perches and either angle them in the cage or notch the ends to fit the wires. All you need is a little saw. I wash the perches and bake small ones in the oven under 250f until dry to clean and kill any bugs. If I canā€™t bake the perches I at least wash with bleach water and rinse well, then dry.

You can find lists of bird-safe plants and wood. Natural perches are good because they have fun bark to chew and little nubs to rip off.

I walk around my city after a storm and pick up branches that have come down or pick up branches that are trimmed off trees. Then clean, dry, and present a new chewable perch.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Just some thoughts on perches, if I may? I love wooden perches, but I also really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming, which was always so stressful for me and the Rb. I established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails since the 90s. lol Yes, the Rb and I are OLLLD. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first.
These are smooth on top and abrasive underneath. Very easy to install/clean, too.
May take a while to get the right combinations/locations, but was worth it for me and the Rb.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
Just some thoughts on perches, if I may? I love wooden perches, but I also really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming, which was always so stressful for me and the Rb. I established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails since the 90s. lol Yes, the Rb and I are OLLLD. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first.
These are smooth on top and abrasive underneath. Very easy to install/clean, too.
May take a while to get the right combinations/locations, but was worth it for me and the Rb.
I actually do have a perch that is meant to trim her nails! Sushi is only in her cage at night when itā€™s bedtime so I took it out plus she was starting to chew on it in the mornings. (Cause it was the highest one, not so smart of me) but I plan on putting it back in the new cage once I figure out what setup Iā€™ll do.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
New cage day! That's exciting!

I am very very lucky to have a parrot-only store in my city but their online shopping isn't nearly as updated as their store ;)

Most of the toys I have bought elsewhere are Planet Pleasures brand. Their perches are more toys than branch-like, though.
Planet Pleasures

I've also seen perches at Petco when I've been there. There isn't a huge selection but they did have some bark-covered options, not just dowels, as well as the rope/wood bridges.

I also like using this website to look at different styles of perches/nets/toys etc. I don't think they ship directly, but it's a good way for me to know the right description to search for online.
Perch Factory
I just placed an order from plant pleasure! Thank you for recommending that store !

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Itā€™s easy to cut natural wood perches and either angle them in the cage or notch the ends to fit the wires. All you need is a little saw. I wash the perches and bake small ones in the oven under 250f until dry to clean and kill any bugs. If I canā€™t bake the perches I at least wash with bleach water and rinse well, then dry.

You can find lists of bird-safe plants and wood. Natural perches are good because they have fun bark to chew and little nubs to rip off.

I walk around my city after a storm and pick up branches that have come down or pick up branches that are trimmed off trees. Then clean, dry, and present a new chewable perch.
Iā€™ll definitely have to look into getting a saw ! Thank you!

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Iā€™ll definitely have to look into getting a saw ! Thank you!
If you are going to carry it away from home, I recommend a "folding pruning saw".

Something like this:
1666127592639.png

Most Reactions

Latest posts