Wood perches

Cottonoid

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
New cage day! That's exciting!

I am very very lucky to have a parrot-only store in my city but their online shopping isn't nearly as updated as their store ;)

Most of the toys I have bought elsewhere are Planet Pleasures brand. Their perches are more toys than branch-like, though.
Planet Pleasures

I've also seen perches at Petco when I've been there. There isn't a huge selection but they did have some bark-covered options, not just dowels, as well as the rope/wood bridges.

I also like using this website to look at different styles of perches/nets/toys etc. I don't think they ship directly, but it's a good way for me to know the right description to search for online.
Perch Factory

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It’s easy to cut natural wood perches and either angle them in the cage or notch the ends to fit the wires. All you need is a little saw. I wash the perches and bake small ones in the oven under 250f until dry to clean and kill any bugs. If I can’t bake the perches I at least wash with bleach water and rinse well, then dry.

You can find lists of bird-safe plants and wood. Natural perches are good because they have fun bark to chew and little nubs to rip off.

I walk around my city after a storm and pick up branches that have come down or pick up branches that are trimmed off trees. Then clean, dry, and present a new chewable perch.

GaleriaGila

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Just some thoughts on perches, if I may? I love wooden perches, but I also really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming, which was always so stressful for me and the Rb. I established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails since the 90s. lol Yes, the Rb and I are OLLLD. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first.
These are smooth on top and abrasive underneath. Very easy to install/clean, too.
May take a while to get the right combinations/locations, but was worth it for me and the Rb.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
Just some thoughts on perches, if I may? I love wooden perches, but I also really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming, which was always so stressful for me and the Rb. I established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails since the 90s. lol Yes, the Rb and I are OLLLD. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first.
These are smooth on top and abrasive underneath. Very easy to install/clean, too.
May take a while to get the right combinations/locations, but was worth it for me and the Rb.
I actually do have a perch that is meant to trim her nails! Sushi is only in her cage at night when it’s bedtime so I took it out plus she was starting to chew on it in the mornings. (Cause it was the highest one, not so smart of me) but I plan on putting it back in the new cage once I figure out what setup I’ll do.

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
New cage day! That's exciting!

I am very very lucky to have a parrot-only store in my city but their online shopping isn't nearly as updated as their store ;)

Most of the toys I have bought elsewhere are Planet Pleasures brand. Their perches are more toys than branch-like, though.
Planet Pleasures

I've also seen perches at Petco when I've been there. There isn't a huge selection but they did have some bark-covered options, not just dowels, as well as the rope/wood bridges.

I also like using this website to look at different styles of perches/nets/toys etc. I don't think they ship directly, but it's a good way for me to know the right description to search for online.
Perch Factory
I just placed an order from plant pleasure! Thank you for recommending that store !

OP
Rosalindagg

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
It’s easy to cut natural wood perches and either angle them in the cage or notch the ends to fit the wires. All you need is a little saw. I wash the perches and bake small ones in the oven under 250f until dry to clean and kill any bugs. If I can’t bake the perches I at least wash with bleach water and rinse well, then dry.

You can find lists of bird-safe plants and wood. Natural perches are good because they have fun bark to chew and little nubs to rip off.

I walk around my city after a storm and pick up branches that have come down or pick up branches that are trimmed off trees. Then clean, dry, and present a new chewable perch.
I’ll definitely have to look into getting a saw ! Thank you!

LeeC

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I’ll definitely have to look into getting a saw ! Thank you!
If you are going to carry it away from home, I recommend a "folding pruning saw".

Something like this:
1666127592639.png

Most Reactions