Worried about zinc

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
I've read that zinc is very toxic to birds and that consequently one should use stainless steel for any metal that birds will contact.

My GCC spends a lot of time climbing around the top and outside of his cage. Recently, he has been chewing on the screw and wing nut bits that hold his various perches to the cage. How can I tell if these are stainless steel or galvanized? They're mostly natural wood perches that I got from amazon.

If the perch hardware is zinc, does anyone have ideas on how to keep my bird from chewing on it? (You wouldn't think chewing metal would be fun, would you?)

Any advice appreciated. Happy New Year, all!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Best to contact the manufacturer to be sure. As for the chewing, if anything does turn out to be zinc, remove it right away. Don't try to discourage chewing behavior. Get rid of it.

Iman

Jan 3, 2022
Parrots
African grey- Casper
I've read that zinc is very toxic to birds and that consequently one should use stainless steel for any metal that birds will contact.

My GCC spends a lot of time climbing around the top and outside of his cage. Recently, he has been chewing on the screw and wing nut bits that hold his various perches to the cage. How can I tell if these are stainless steel or galvanized? They're mostly natural wood perches that I got from amazon.

If the perch hardware is zinc, does anyone have ideas on how to keep my bird from chewing on it? (You wouldn't think chewing metal would be fun, would you?)

Any advice appreciated. Happy New Year, all!
Here take a look
This might help

OP
A

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
Thanks, everyone! As recommended by @wrench13, I made a trip to the hardware store and was able to get everything I need to de-zinc the cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts