xrays show mineral buildup

Cyclone

Jan 6, 2014
Florida
Parrots
1 male Quaker
My old quaker came back from the vet (general checkup) with a bum wing, so they took some xrays to be sure there was no damage. They were able to confirm no broken bones but the xrays did reveal significant mineral buildup in one of his organs (I can't remember which vet said, pancreas maybe?). Vet asked if he has habits of chewing on cage, mineral sticks/blocks, anything other than food really, any time over the past 23 YEARS. For the life of me I can't think of ANYTHING he has chewed on besides his happy hut (fabric) and plastic (far into the past, a nesting box when he was a breeder). But it is hard to remember 23 years. Could it be plastic? Any other ideas?

Update: Its the ventriculus, gizzard. Vet provided no treatment plan mostly due to age, just saying it accumulates over time and to think about what it could be.

Mostly I am asking if others have encountered a similar issue with their bird, and if they ever figured out what was the cause.

Attachments

• 198486231_10100401917436225_3412321518399549638_n.jpeg
    198486231_10100401917436225_3412321518399549638_n.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fully agree with my good friend above.

Are your sure your Vet stated mineral buildup and not Heavy Metal build-up? Always ask your Vet for the Medical report that summarizes the visit and findings. There is a huge difference and what course of action are vastly different.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Fully agree with my good friend above.

Are your sure your Vet stated mineral buildup and not Heavy Metal build-up? Always ask your Vet for the Medical report that summarizes the visit and findings. There is a huge difference and what course of action are vastly different.

Great point about precise nature of buildup! Most vets use board-certified radiologist to review and chart specifics.

Most Reactions

Latest posts