Yeast and fungal infection in baby GCC

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi, guys! I got a GCC when she was 8 weeks old. Sheā€™s a little over 12 weeks now. Last week, she started regurgitating her food. I took her in to the vet and they ran a swab test. She came back positive for a fungal and yeast infection. The vet at the moment was not too concerned as it could have been from when she was on formula. Sheā€™s on two antibiotics for her infections.

Iā€™m just wondering if any of you have gone through this. Was the medications successful? Sheā€™s acting normal and is full of energy. I guess Iā€™m just really concerned as I had a cockatiel of mine pass away less than a year ago. I really want to make sure my GCC is going to be okay. She goes for a check up on the 24th to see if itā€™s gone. Any information you can give me (good or bad) would be appreciated. Thank you!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
If shes acting okay, drinking and eating well, and poops look okay I wouldn't be too worried but it's good that you're bringing her in for a follow up

OP
S

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you! That definitely makes me feel better. I never had to deal with this before, so I appreciate your response. Fingers crossed that itā€™s gone when she goes for her check up.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You are wise to be concerned based on past experiences. If your vet is avian certified or equivalent, chances of properly matching antibiotics to organisms is high. Hope her recheck finds conditions greatly improved!

OP
S

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you @Scott. I do know my vet is very experienced and certified. She also raised birds for nearly 2 decades, so she is quite knowledgeable. Thank you for your assurance that thereā€™s a good chance of successfully treating it given that the vet knows what theyā€™re doing.

Kaytana22

Apr 25, 2021
Media
Albums
Alabama Sir
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgie, GCC
It was good of you to take your baby to a very qualified avian vet so Kudos to you for doing that. :) I to have a GCC and she/he is very special to me :)

OP
S

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you, @Kaytana22. I have only had her for about 4 weeks but she is very special to me as well. Weā€™ve developed quite a bond already. I really didnā€™t want to risk her health.

Most Reactions

Latest posts