Yellow faced parrot and yellow lored amazon lifespan

Shawnteo27

Jul 12, 2020
Parrots
Amazons, grey, parakeet
Hi,

I occasionally wonder the lifespan of yellow-faced Amazon...now Alipiopsitta xanthops.
I have a 5 year old female. And she is very rare in my country. The one and only I have seen in my country. Hence, also have difficulty pairing her to a male.
Can she be paired with a white fronted? I know this is not encouraged.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
what is your reason for pairing her?

OP
S

Shawnteo27

Jul 12, 2020
Parrots
Amazons, grey, parakeet
When she sees a reflection of herself in the mirror, she goes really Super excited.
Or when I replay her recorded call, she also goes Super excited and make contact calls.
I have other larger amazons as well. And she doesn’t really bothers about them.
I feel she is kind-off wanna connect with her own kind. It would be nice to have babies of her own as well.

Thank you

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Welcome and please keep asking questions! I tried to answer this honestly and other opinions may differ, but here is mine:

She wants to mate... THEY ALL DO (when triggered)....That means you have to remove the sexual triggers...AKA, huts, tents, piles, shadows, MIRRORS, lack of sleep, sugary foods, boredom etc..

They can become nightmares if they mate and you gave her a mirror, so that can be a trigger.....Get rid of the mirror, provide 12 hours of solid sleep nightly, eliminate any shadowy spaces or huts (in or around the cage), pet on the head and neck only and provide lots of enrichment and foods with low-sugar...

Mating is not the answer 99% of the time..It is very very very expensive and can go very wrong very fast...so unless you have a brooder and a ton of hand-feeding experience, this is not a good route because they can get aggressive to you and the babies..or neglect them..or get egg-bound....

Also...she may not get along with another bird...they could fight...then you are looking at double the interaction time for both if they cannot be out together....

IF they do mate, in addition to baby formula (for parrots!), a brooder etc etc, you also must have separate cages for all of the babies because they will breed with siblings when old enough (and inbreeding causes huge genetic issues in parrots) and it will be too hard to separate them if you wait too long....

Last edited:
OP
S

Shawnteo27

Jul 12, 2020
Parrots
Amazons, grey, parakeet
Thanks for the reminder..lol.
Especially on paragraph 4 - 5..
Good points to consider..

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Under no circumstances should hybrids be supported

If you want to breed them (in your case is not recommended), use another Yellow faced amazon from a reputable breeder

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I bought a second Green Cheek amazon for very much the same reasons you are considering a companion for your yellow face.

My Green cheek would get excited over my Yellow nape (who wanted nothing to do with her). I found a second Green cheek and after almost 2 years they are living together fairly well.
I don't know what there gender is but hope to find out soon.

If they do have babies you don't have to worried about keeping them separate until they get close to puberty.

Having baby parrots is a BIG step and not to be taken lightly.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I bought a second Green Cheek amazon for very much the same reasons you are considering a companion for your yellow face.

My Green cheek would get excited over my Yellow nape (who wanted nothing to do with her). I found a second Green cheek and after almost 2 years they are living together fairly well.
I don't know what there gender is but hope to find out soon.

If they do have babies you don't have to worried about keeping them separate until they get close to puberty.

Having baby parrots is a BIG step and not to be taken lightly.

My reason for saying to separate them early (post weaning obviously) is because they can get really bonded before puberty, and then separating them can be stressful if you wait to do it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts