Yellow Naped Amazon (rescue)

Feb 20, 2023
U.S.A.
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon (rescue)
Hello Everyone!
I’m happy to join the Forum.
I have recently rescued/adopted a Yellow Naped Amazon. He is a chubby little 37ish yr old boy.
We had a 6hr trip to get him (3 there & 3 back)
It’s only day two now, he’s talked, whistled, spread his tail feathers, wanted me to sing him to sleep, stood quite, fluffed up, charged at me walking by cage, asked “Where are you going?”, bopped head, eating fine & not staying on one side of cage, I sit next to his cage & he wants to watch YouTube shorts with me. lol

I felt so bad for his neglect & didn’t want him to suffer in the cage so I opened just the door & sat at other side of the room.
I didn’t know what to expect (flying, biting, darting, screeching).
The length of time he spent inside even with the door open shows me he was let out. The previous owner even said they never really let him out. Once or twice every few months.
He moved around the cage (inquisitively) about 2 hrs, then finally, climbs on top & sits on the top of cage (profile pic). Whistling, talking, moving about just the top & 4 hours later exhausted & hungry baby went in cage (after spending 5 minutes just figuring out how to get in lol). He ravaged his food bowl then got really sleepy. Mommy did too, so I shut it down & I covered half the cage & laid down. Lights off, ready for sleep, he hobbles his way to the bottom of the cage & peeped out from behind the cover and kept asking “what are you doing?” Such a cutie. I decided to move to the bottom of the cage & sang Rock-A-Bye baby … he started getting heavy eyes & they finally closed & he slept.
Under his neck is little grey fluffy feathers … I’m assuming that maybe he was picking at one time but they are growing in. Although he “seems” healthy I will be bringing Chubbs to the vet for a little check up & anything he needs to thrive. They weren’t feeding him good food ALL seeds!!! That’s why he’s my Chubbs.
I think so far so good. I have a ton of patience & love so I know it will take time but I’m pleased he at minimum came out on his own accord.
I’ll be happiest when he is & when he is settled.
Happy Parroting Everyone!!!

Attachments

• 5B39E137-E68D-4443-AF05-1173FE98E0E3.jpeg
    5B39E137-E68D-4443-AF05-1173FE98E0E3.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 842F78F2-1B9B-48DB-ABED-E43D681D39E7.jpeg
    842F78F2-1B9B-48DB-ABED-E43D681D39E7.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed! THere esessential info on AMazons over on our Amazons sub forum. The stickies at the top of the page, Amazon Body Language, and I Love Amazons are life changing info for Amazon owners. PLease read them, with extreme understanding. Note, 'zons love to be read to out loud, so these are a great way to calm and bond with your new Amazon, and gain great info and insight into them.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Awww! Our Sammy is a rescue also; her owner was doing her best by her but had hit upon hard times.

Your new birdie looks so sweet! Not sure about plucking - I understand it’s uncommon for amazons, and we are at the time of year where molting may be the issue at hand. I know our big gal is a mess of pinfeathers right now.

Welcome to the forums!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Congratulations and big feathered thank Yous for rescuing a deserving Yellow nape.

His shirt front does look a little woe begone and thread bear.
The dark patches could be over preening and the beginning of plucking.
I did have an amazon (RLA) that started plucking.
My Certified avian vet felt it was pulling out feathers for making a nest (a brood patch).
I didn't really buy that explanation but the behavior went away on its own.

So after some hunting I found the picture of Pacho (on left side) when she had plucked some feathers. sorry for the poor quality, long time ago in a galaxy.....

Good friends.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

Yes, they do love to be read too and what better subject matter than the two great Threads at the top of the Amazon Forum, as commented on above!!

As part of your first Avian Vet visit, please have a detailed full blood spectrum tests completed, which also targets heart and liver chems. It is important to assure whether you have a male or female, so consider a DNA test as part of the testing as the cost will be less when combined with blood testing for illness that are common in your area. NOTE: The age of your Amazon suggests that he may have been been check and could have a tattoo, your Avian Vet will know where to look.

NOTE: Yellow Nape Amazons have three groups within their species and size is one of the differences. As a group they can vary between 450 to as much as 650 grams. Whether they are fat or not is determine with a hands-on physical examination of their mid to upper chest. If at all possible, have your Avian Vet let you hear the heart beat of your Amazon. FYI: It 'will be' much higher than what you may believe.

Always request a document that covers the finding of the examination and additional testing. And yes, have them email it to you.

Again, welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

Most Reactions

Latest posts