Yellow Sided Green Cheek is growing Turquoise Feathers

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Helios and Bunny

2 Greencheek Conures: Bastian and Rainbow Randolph (a.k.a. Baby, Baby Bee, Bee Bird, Baked Bee, Beasel, BeeWeasel). Bastian lives with my sister.
Hi all,

My yellow sided green cheek conure is 3 years old, but during his most recent molt, he's gotten turquoise feathers on the back of his neck. I snuggle him every day so I noticed.

My sister has a female yellow sided turquoise conure and the feathers on the back of his neck look like hers.

Have you ever noticed a change in color to your conure several years in? Is this normal?

Thank you!

OP
B

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots

2 Greencheek Conures: Bastian and Rainbow Randolph (a.k.a. Baby, Baby Bee, Bee Bird, Baked Bee, Beasel, BeeWeasel). Bastian lives with my sister.
Actually he turns 4 this month.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Could you post a picture of what your seeing?

OP
B

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots

Sure thing. This the the best I could get of the color with no flash. This area was completely green before.
20230424_143105.jpg

OP
B

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots

Sure thing. This the the best I could get of the color with no flash. This area was completely green before.View attachment 49613
It doesn't show up as much as it does in person. It's at the nape of his neck. The only reason I noticed is because my sister has a yellow sided turquoise GCC.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Could be just a natural color change

Whats his diet like? Sometimes diet can have an effect on feather color.

OP
B

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots

He eats fresh fruit and veggies with zupreem pellets and some safflower seeds as treats. But since his molt he has gotten a huge taste for blueberries. He loves them and will even cast aside banana for them which is odd for him.

OP
B

BakedBeeBird

Oct 27, 2020
Allen, TX
Parrots

He eats fresh fruit and veggies with zupreem pellets and some safflower seeds as treats. But since his molt he has gotten a huge taste for blueberries. He loves them and will even cast aside banana for them which is odd for him.
Oh, I forgot to mention, I give him egg food from time to time now because he's so small. He's the smallest fully grown GCC I've ever seen. He's so tiny.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
How much does he weigh?

How much of his diet is Zupreem pellets? Blueberries are great for inflammation, if he eats 1-2 a day he should be fine.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
He could also be a low expression turquoise. If you look at some turquoise they have lots of green scattered throughout. I don't think it would be impossible that one be fully green but still have the turquoise gene.

My girl for example: you can lots of green on her shoulder area.
Screenshot_20230424_153950_Gallery.jpg

I'll try to get a picture of her in natural light once I get home.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Screenshot_20230424_154225_Firefox.jpg

here's a picture I found online. you can see lots of green on him.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Screenshot_20230424_154449_Firefox.jpg
Here's a yellow sided turquoise with lots of green.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Possible. I know Salty (not a conure tho) had beautiful turquoise feathers on his forehead that disappeared after a few years and turned green.

Most Reactions

Latest posts