Yellow Stuff around Conure's Eye?

feralbirddad

May 9, 2021
Hello! :)

This morning I was checking on my two green cheeks and noticed that my boy, Doppio, had some weird yellow/orangey stuff around his eye. He didn't have this yesterday and his poops seem fine and he's eating and drinking.

Some context that may help is his buddy, Pepper, went to the vet recently because of an upper respiratory infection and is being treated. I never noticed weird stuff around her eye though. Should I be concerned? Thanks! :)
Edit: lol made a typo

N0kgo7w.jpg

Attachments

• 20210509_090015.jpg
    20210509_090015.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Could be rubbed dye off a toy.

Or can be a sign of liver issues, jaundice. this can be from infection, from a toxin that liver us having to filter, or sn overdose of vitamins.

Usually both birds in home have ro be treated when one is sick, if its infectious. A common infection is psittacosis and it us highly infectious. It can cause different symptoms, it can effect the liver. I went through this with 7 birds all had different symptoms.

Talk to your vet, probably best to get him checked out.

A good practice is to use a digital scale and track weights. Everyday if something us up. Most all sick burds will drop weight. 3% loss if body mass seek a vet, 5% see a vet quickly, 10% you might have to offer support feeding, snd high calorie foods.
.sick birds hide being sick, they can face eat, or not be eating enough

OP
F

feralbirddad

May 9, 2021
I'll definitely get started on weighing him daily. I had a feeling it could be an overdose of vitamins. I have a chop mix and I unintentionally added probably too many elements of vitamin A. I used to feed their chop mix every othe day but moved on to everyday. I'm cutting back on their chop and redoing it so it's more balanced :)

Pepper's getting a check up at the vet really soon and I'll get him checked on too :) I figured since only Pepper and not Doppio was showing symptoms of something wrong I thought he was fine. That's completely my mistake :( Thanks for the help!:orange:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It's hard to overdose vitamin from foods. They body takes the beta carotene a d makes what's needed. The only overdose I ever hear of is people adding vitamin to water or food that they bought.

Its mire likely a disease problem

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
A vitamin OD can also harm the liver and lead to jaundice but this normally happens from supplements or feeding fortified human food to parrots. Organs in general do not respond well to vitamin overdose. If you have an avian vet, I'd get a CBC and if levels looks off, you might want a liver panel on top of that (the avian vet will be able to see some red flags in the CBC for certain conditions and if certain markers are high with regard to liver, then the liver panel would give you more detail).

A vitamin panel is another thing you should look into, given your concerns.

Most Reactions