Yet another 'Clipped Too Short' thread

Cinnanymph

Sep 9, 2021
I had been doing well the last few clippings, but it's happened. I clipped my cockatiel's nails too short on one foot. Two nails for definite, one nail more I think but it's hard to see.

I stopped the bleeding with Blood Stop powder that I had on standby for this exact reason. She's in her cage and tucking her foot away. She is alert, a little shaken and I'm keeping an eye on her. This thread is more for me than her as I'm shaken at having caused my baby harm and scaring her so much. She's so trusting and loving and I hurt her without meaning to!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I had been doing well the last few clippings, but it's happened. I clipped my cockatiel's nails too short on one foot. Two nails for definite, one nail more I think but it's hard to see.

I stopped the bleeding with Blood Stop powder that I had on standby for this exact reason. She's in her cage and tucking her foot away. She is alert, a little shaken and I'm keeping an eye on her. This thread is more for me than her as I'm shaken at having caused my baby harm and scaring her so much. She's so trusting and loving and I hurt her without meaning to!
How did it happen? I can help you figure out a solution so it doesn't happen again if you tell me! Was she squirming? Did you not see the quick? Something else?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My birds always clench their toes into a fist when I clip. So the nail was lined up fine at first and then they moved….

If you stopped the bleeding quickly her toes might be a little sore but I’m sure she will get over it soon, and forgive you.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated above, a little sensitive for several days and then back to normal.
Lesson learned and with minor changes you will vastly reduce a repeat. Good-on-you, for being prepared for the worst case!!
lots of begging for forgiveness always helps!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Other things that can stop a bleeding toenail are sticking the nail into a bar of soap, and holing a pinch of cornstarch to the bleeding end of the nail.

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
Luckily my bird has been managing his own toes now for his whole life. I was doing a little clip here and there but overall its not needed, he bites the tips and mantains them himself. His issue is his beek.. which does get long and again, I don't have his beak trimmed sometimes its longer than I would prefer but then it ends up shortening up on its own.. he has never had his beak trimmmed in 24 years...

Most Reactions

Latest posts