Young Black Capped Conroe grooms too hard

KatieConureMom

Dec 15, 2020
Cols, Ohio
Parrots
Yoshi, Black Capped Conure , hatched 2/14/20
My 11 month old black Capped conure grooms my freckles or ears too aggressively. I don't want to upset him; as he is fairly sensitive..but need to let him know when he is hurting, not grooming. Has anyone else had this issue?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
EVERYONE has had to deal with this!

Start by putting finger up to beak push gently away and saying gentle, gentle....

Any bite, put bird on floor, for a time out. But realize the beak is a birds "hand" sometimes it can be to much; just push away gently when to much and let them continue when the allopreening is just right. If it's not aggressive biting they usually figure out what is ok and too much pretty quick.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
EVERYONE has had to deal with this!

Start by putting finger up to beak push gently away and saying gentle, gentle....

Any bite, put bird on floor, for a time out. But realize the beak is a birds "hand" sometimes it can be to much; just push away gently when to much and let them continue when the allopreening is just right. If it's not aggressive biting they usually figure out what is ok and too much pretty quick.

Had to laugh!! So true!! I have a scratch and every bird has been ripping off the scab. Ughh...

Try doing a quick twitch or shift, or stand up when flies this and use same phrase. I say be careful!

Most Reactions