Young/Under socialized budgie?

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Hello All,

Its been a while since I posted I'm more of a creeper lol. So my husband and I are new to Parrot ownership and we got Asteria(AKA Teeri) about 2-3 months ago now? She had full plumage but I did choose her due to her seeming the youngest and healthiest. She has been... like a baby. She didn't seem to understand anything besides Millet was food and even so she wouldn't eat that unless held up to her. Not even when setting it at her feet. We made her chop, got her eating sprouts and carrots etc. We still add water to her food though I'm pretty sure if she wasn' t drinking she wouldn't be doing well. She really didn't understand how to bird.

When we got her she was obviously traumatized but we have made a ton of progress. She knows step up, working on a good stay (on the finger for moving her around the house) she allows us to touch her all over, her head, back, under the wings, etc. Still working on bath time and towel training.

We want to eventually get her a friend but still trying to figure things out with her. She doesn't seem to know how to play. The closest we have gotten is by putting millet in a ball on a string. She also spends a lot of her time asleep. Is this something to be concerned about? She's had a visit with the vet already and has gotten a clean bill of health. Will getting her a friend (especially an adult that already knows about playing) help encourage her to be a bit more social and active?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm.........................not worried in the slightest.

You seem like perfect parronts.

Most Reactions

Latest posts