your thoughts....?

BrittGoBucks

Sep 2, 2007
Media
We have a Goffin's that we've had for a couple of years. Just some background... He belonged to the boy in the family, who is a year younger than me so he was probably around 17 or 18 at the time. Anyway, I'm sure this bird was bonded with the boy, but the family just didn't have enough time to give him, and they thought he might like it better in a home with another bird.

I know that these birds need attention and interaction, but whenever we try to do things with him, he doesn't really seem to want a lot of attention. For instance, he doesn't like to be picked up, and will only get on your shoulder when HE wants to, which is very rarely. However, he seems to enjoy just coming out, sitting on his cage, and "conversing" and dancing with you.

So my question is...do you think this is enough? We leave his cage open whenever we're at home so he can come out as he pleases, and sometimes he does, but other times he just hangs out inside. I feel like we aren't giving him enough attention, but he seems content with just coming out every once in a while and being vocal.

Sorry this was so long..

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Thats not a long post man, trust us.
Sounds like the birds thinking he is hanging out with you.
He sounds happy, and if he gets cranky when you handle him, and there is no reason to handle him, don't handle him. just being mates seems to make him happy, and you dont sound like you want much from in the way of tricks and such, so maybe try just being buddies till he wants more.
theboys231-1.jpg

OP
BrittGoBucks

BrittGoBucks

Sep 2, 2007
Media
well, hopefully he's happy then. As for tricks, no, we're not too concerned with that. He does do a few things, like giving "high fives" and he loves to dance to his favorite songs, but other than that we just like the company. I guess he seems happy so we'll just keep doing what we're doing. It's just strange because our other bird, the umbrella, is completely opposite. He can't stand not being with you every second and wants nothing more than to cuddle.
I suppose we just have to act accordingly to what each one seems to enjoy the most.:cool:

Most Reactions

Latest posts