zupreem smart selects! good or no good?

rioandmango!

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
two budgies
i got my birds a exactly week ago, everyday i feed them a spoon or two of chop, and 2-3 spoons of zupreem smart selects. i thought it was okay to switch them to pellets but people tell me that both the seeds and pellets are bad quality. i’m only a teenager and i cannot really buy stuff online without parent permission. if i have to buy pellets, i would most likely buy zupreem naturals because they are in-expensive and convenient.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Zupreme Naturals is going to be better than Zupreme Smart Selects, for the following reasons:

- Smart Selects has the Fruityblend pellets, which contain dyes and added sugar
- Smart Selects has a lot of dried fruit, which is high in sugar
- Parrots are likely to pick and choose what they want to eat and therefore not get a balanced vitamin/mineral offering from a seed/pellet/fruit blend like Smart Selects

So, if the only thing you’re able to get is Zupreme Naturals, please get that instead, but ALSO please be certain your birds like it or will eat it - they WILL starve themselves if you abruptly change their food and don’t keep track of what they are eating/their weight. It happened to us, and it was really terrible; I wouldn’t wish it on another person. The EASIEST and BEST way to keep track of what they are eating is to get a kitchen gram scale (they sell them at big box stores like Target & Bed Bath and Beyond, and you can make or purchase a T-stand to put on them) and weigh your bird EVERY DAY. I would not consider switching a parrot to a different food that I was not confident I could weigh after the tragedy that happened to us last time.

If you have a petsmart near you, they sometimes carry Roudybush. That one does not have added sugar (I think) so it’s a little bit better than Zupreme Naturals. https://www.petsmart.com/bird/food-...agyoPZYGFgHfSYENvLsaAvP-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If your parents have Amazon Prime, they can look up a pellet brand called Harrison’s online. They also sell it on their website here: https://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/ADULT-LIFETIME-FINE/productinfo/ALF/ Unlike Zupreme Naturals, it does not have added sugar (sugar is the 8th ingredient in ZN) and all the ingredients are organic.

Another great pellet often recommended here (but possibly harder to find) is TOPS, which stands for Totally Organic Pellet. https://topsparrotfood.com/?gclid=C...nT1zAVmzJOaUNSbpKZvZ0qQM4F4rtgYkaAoLkEALw_wcB This pellet is sometimes felt to be superior to Harrison’s because unlike Harrison’s it is peanut free.

I like to have a variety of pellets on hand when switching a bird from seed to pellet; some birds prefer different pellets. For example, both of my boys will leave their TOPS at the bottom of the bowl until the very last, and our newest parrot won’t even touch it - he vastly prefers Harrison’s and Roudybush.

Best of luck!

OP
R

rioandmango!

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
two budgies
hi! thank you so much, my parents are allowing me to get the pellets but to convert them do i continue to give three smart selects and then incorporate naturals into it, or no? btw i also have not bought any seeds whatsoever.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I actually like Zupreme, it worked much better for my birds than Roudybush. My friend who has the rescue noticed about the same time I did that our pluckers plucked more on Roudybush. I also use Tropican pellets. The best pellet they say is the one you can get your birds to eat.
If your birds are used to seeds please make sure they have some, because ravvlet is correct that they may starve themselves. One of my Amazons stopped eating when I tried to introduce Tropican, and I had to go back to Zupreme for him.

OP
R

rioandmango!

Apr 16, 2022
Parrots
two budgies
also, the smart selects have seeds in them and my birds love it so can i just use that?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
also, the smart selects have seeds in them and my birds love it so can i just use that?
Since they are used to seeds this may be a good option. Most of my birds get a small amount of seeds with their pellets everyday.

Most Reactions

Latest posts