Oi, Help >.<

thesary

Apr 3, 2007
I have a Senegal parrot -- about 8 months old -- who will *not* stop with the screeching. I am pretty sure he only does it for my attention, but that means he starts screeching as soon as I leave the room! If he is trying to get me to play with him (as he is doing right now) and I'm not listening, he starts...

This has been continuing for about 3 months, and is worse now than it has been at all. The screech is louder, he continues for longer, and he sometimes does it even when I am holding him.

I've tried just ignoring it for quite some time. The true problem here is that he's recently started living with two new roommates, and they are not taking kindly to his calls. He is risking being kicked out, and I wouldn't be able to take that...

Can anyone help me?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
HUH?!? :06: I have never heard of a senegal with a screaming problem ... and I always thought that "senies" were really quiet ... ummm, I guess I would treat it like I would treat all screaming parrot issues ... ignore screaming, reward quite ...

I also have never heard of a senie with a line of sight call ... which I would also treat like I treat Ham's line of sight call ... you call to him softly while you are out of the room, you can give a special treat or toy when you leave the room. Distraction is your best weapon in this battle ...

But I don't have a senegal, I have a conure (probably twice as bad), but I know that there are a few members who have senegals and I bet they can help you out! Keep an eye out for help, it will come soon.

Last edited:

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Im getting a senegal sometime in the summer, i have not heard that they scream either. hmm well Tracy842 has a senegal maybe she can help you out.. srry im like no help here.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Calling Tracy!----

Anyways a general rule is birds will only be as loud as tehir enviroment I am wondering if your room mates watch loud tv listen to loud music or yell alot? When the house is quiet so is Sidney if we turn on something loud he pics up to compete with it. I'm with Tex Sinnies are know for being quiet so I'm sure with some help you will ba able to control it. Remember parrots will be parrots they all will have their moments of screeming. Maybe you ought to find some bird friendlt room mates.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Fraid I would end up kicking the housemates out before I let them even think of kicking my bird out.

I've also not heard of a Sennie that will scream like you are describing they are generally a quiet bird. Anyway, when he screams do you go to him and get him out of the cage? Is the environment he's living in loud? Have you tried giving him a time out when he screams when out of the cage? Do you cover him?

When he is screaming while with you do you put him in his cage for a time out, or put him away from you. Sounds to me like he's trained you pretty well, he realises that the screaming gets him attention, thats something you need to change as quickly as possible
Screaming bird gets ignored/covered/given time out
Quiet bird gets cuddles/play time etc

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Ok here is my best advice. Go and get a Mealy Amazon and when you hear that one scream the Senegal screaming will sound like music to your ears. :p
All joking aside now there are many questions to get answers to until we can get a better idea why he is screaming.

Senegals are not known to be loud but they can be if they want. They are very much attention hogs and its there way or the highway and they will try their hardest to be the boss!!! (I think I was a parrot in a past life)

Here is #1 Rule: Do NOT give this bird any attention when he screams!!! This is at times extremely difficult. But you must ignore it and leave the room. You may have givin him a treat before while he was screaming and now he thinks if I scream I will get a good treat.

Cover the cage while he screams then once he stops and has stayed stopped for awhile uncover him and give him some attention. If he starts again just keep repeating. This can ometimes be a slow process but this seems to work the best. I know my senegal as soon as she is covered will not make any sound at all. Banishment from the "flock" is the only punishment parrots will understand. Screaming at them will not act as a punishment.

Location of the cage will make a huge difference. My senegal is in a bedroom with a computer and another couple of pets so its quiet and a low traffic area. Makes a huge difference!!!

While you are holding your senegal and he screams try talking quietly to him. This will make him want to hear you so he should quiet down once he realizes your talking. My senegal loves talking to me the exact same time I talk to her, not that much she says is clear enough to understand yet but talking is very quiet when they do it.

I've been teaching my parrots to use a small whistle when they want my attention instead of screaming (positive reinforcement). Senegals are excellent at whistling so teach her to whistle, then when she does it you do it back. Make it lots of fun for your bird. Then if she whistles while your not near her whistle back then go to her. Eventually they will learn to whistle when they want you. Much easier on the ears then screaming.

What choice of toys do you have for your bird and do you rotate them with new ones. Maybe your bird is bored while in the cage and wants time with you instead. Senegals love wood toys, anything with a bell, and anything they can destroy (kabobs, pinatas, etc.)

What kind of diet is your bird on? Where did you get them? Have they been to a vet? There may be an underlying health issue that makes the bird scream and they may be trying to tell you something is wrong. Do you use any teflon in the house? I've heard of many birds screaming when the fumes get into the air (this is very toxic to birds) Your roomates may use teflon frying pans or anything so be very careful.

Finally I will jump on the foraging band wagon. Foraging is a natural instinct for parrots that stimulates their minds. Set up some foraging toys and such for your senegal to get treats. This can also help with problems such as feather plucking. There is a great DVD about foraging called "Captive Foraging" Great to watch!!!

So thats my advice and this goes for all birds not just Senegals. All parrots will scream a little its their instinct. You can not stop it completly, so don't waste any money on videos and books that say "end screaming completly now" This can be a slow process but things will get better. Your senegal is still very young, so start now!!! Let us know how you make out, and if your gonna kick anyone out get rid of the roomates.

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
I respond with compassion. My OW is as loud as they come ...glass shattering.
My husband has just thrown a total wobbley:( I find that she is better removed and left in a dull quite room I usually leave her 10-min then I go in and spend time. for what ever reason she is 100 times worse with OH maybe cause he is her chosen one and maybe cause he is loud. I take her to strange rooms and whisper it seems to break the cycle. But it is so hard. P.S we are in the quiet room just now.
Bit of a marriage breaker though.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Banishment from the "flock" is the only punishment parrots will understand. Screaming at them will not act as a punishment.

That is probably the truest words ever, Kito goes quiet as a mouse when I give him time out and cover him. (He has just found his screaming voice :eek: ) Screaming at them will only make them worse.

OP
T

thesary

Apr 3, 2007
Okay okay, a few places to start with this....

1) He isn't very loud. I know sennies are known for being quiet (it's part of the reason I chose this breed, I am living in a dorm room most of the time...)

When I said kick him out, it just meant move the cage to a different location where I'd keep half-living there. Loki stays with me, period.

When I originally addressed this problem with a bird breeder I know (This was before it was bad at all...) I was told to ignore it, but don't put the blanket on his cage. I was actually told to not put it on his cage under any circumstances except for bedtime.

He talks to me a lot. Nothing understandable, really, but he's *very* vocal. All soft, sweet noises. He's only just learned how to whistle a bit... within the last week or so.

I've had conures in the past, and admittedly Loki's screeching doesn't even compare. It has recently gotten louder, and I think that may have something to do with the change of atmosphere.. always with boys playing video games, and many more people than where he was a month ago. (I assume that atmosphere has something to do with the fact that he's gotten louder)

The only thing I question about the loud atmosphere vs. loud calls thing is... usually he gets loud as soon as it gets quiet. If I'm playing loud music he will get loud, but otherwise I haven't noticed a correlation... quite the opposite. Like the silence scares him, so he's got to fix it. Also, there's definitely something to do with me leaving the room... when I asked about the screaming previously, I was told by another senegal owner that it was a location call, and was suggested to whistle or say his name every time he does it, so he would do that instead. (It failed.) And also to say something when I left the room ("goodbye Loki!") which... I don't think had much of an effect, but I was awkward in the habit and did it only when I was leaving for more than 5 minutes...
(IE, I wouldn't say it when I went to the bathroom, and he would immediately start screeching as soon as I did...)

I change his toys out a lot (I have a habit of spending what very little income I have on bird toys...) Mostly chewables with bells on the end, ya. A really nifty toy that had lots of soft strings coming out for him to rip off...which he destroyed quite quickly.

I will try the covering cage bit, and ignore him when he screams, and hope that works...

If you have any other advice based on new info, I would love to hear it!
Thanks for the response!

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
sounds like you have everything under control i'm gald you're not considering getting rid of him :) maybe if you think he doesn't like the quiet you could keep music playing at a low to medium level in the room he is in so he always has some noise something kinda mellow not really head banging would be perfect I played country for months one night i forgot to turn it off and at about 2 in the morning Misty started randomly whistling really loud her happy whistle so i went in and the song was good morning beautiful LOL :) I find that Sidney likes pop better than country though anyways I pretty much always leave the radio on for them

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I put on Salsa music for Sisqo, b/c originally Amazon's are from South America. I figured he'd like it b/c it'd be like getting back to his 'roots', haha. No such luck though. I've read on a few sites that Amazons like Opera, especially Phantom of the Opera, so I'll try that next.

Thesary - I think Kelli's idea of leaving on music for Loki is a pretty good idea. Try that and tell us how it turns out.

Unfortunately I can't be much help in the loud bird department because fortunately I've been blessed with a quiet Amazon (seriously, you've got to hear him-or not-to believe it!).

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yep music seems to work a treat, I used to have to do that for my dog, :D Also try (and its hard to remember) to say something to Loki when you leave the room, it won't happen overnight and its something thats easily forgotten,

When I said kick him out, it just meant move the cage to a different location where I'd keep half-living there. Loki stays with me, period.

Phew, thanks for clearing that up for us, its good to hear. :D

OP
T

thesary

Apr 3, 2007
Alas, Music! I will definitely try this. This morning we moved his cage so that half of it gets some awesome awesome sunlight (we are having *beautiful* arkansas weather...) and told the roommates the plan to cover the cage/etc.

Thanks for the advice guys

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
... especially Phantom of the Opera ...

TEX LOVES PHANTOM TOO! Maybe I was an amazon in a past life ... One year, when Christy was at Regent's College in London she got me tickets to see Phantom at Her Majesty's Theater ... OMG what a show, what a show ... Peta, I have to say that I am very jealous of all the theater that you have there ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh yeah, we do love our Theatre's here. :D Have to say though, I'm so jealous of you here, I really want to go to the theatre, but only to see "Phantom of the Opera", I won't go to the theatre to see anything else until I've seen that. :D

OP
T

thesary

Apr 3, 2007
Okay so, it's been a little while, and things have gotten *much* worse. Loki just kind of stays screaming all the time now. When I put the cover on, he starts screaming more/louder, and doesn't stop. He will continue for... a long time. Sometimes he will stop for a minute, sometimes a bit more. Then he just starts right back up again...

Ack. Ack ack ack ack. What do I do?

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I understand your pain, I have an Amazon who gets screaming and won't stop, so I just leave the house...not the best way to fix it I guess...

but have you tried putting him on the floor when he starts screaming, and not letting him climb up onto anything? Iggy will not scream when he's on the floor and sometimes it's enough to break the pattern and get some silence for awhile once I put him back on his perch...I know how hard ignoring a screaming bird can be...I don't have the patience.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
The trick here is finding what works for Loki, for now its gonna have to be trial and error. You've tried the cage covering and that isn't working by the sounds of it, so try putting him on the floor, Just remember what works for one won't necessary work for another but its worth a try.

It is very hard to ignore the screaming, but that is what needs to be done. When he first started screaming, did you get him out or give him attention? Birds will pick up on something they know will annoy us (screaming) and keep it up until they get what they want (training us) If there is a time when your room mates are out and he starts screaming, then leave the room, or even go out for a while, when he stops screaming then come back into the room. He has to learn that you call the shots and not him. (Look how easy that is for me to say, I know its not that easy) I say when your room mates are out because that way he's not gonna annoy anyone.

Keep us informed on how its going.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

thesary

Apr 3, 2007
He is usually louder if he is ever on the floor, actually...

When he first started I strictly ignored it. Unfortunately, as you know, I do have roommates. I couch surf, for the most part... am living in an apartment with two guys from my college right now instead of my dorm room, but my dorm room roommate absolutely 100% could *not* ignore him -- almost always got him out. Here they are better, but sometimes its just so... sad! Or terrible or something, listening to him over there. "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy! Come on Mommy! LEt me out! Mommy!"

Sigh. I think the cage cover thing would work if I was here all day to do it right. Unfortunately, my life doesn't really allow for that, and my living situation doesn't really allow for that.

Minzer84

Mar 14, 2007
Massachusetts
Parrots
Iggy- YCA
I'm sorry that the floor doesn't work. I'm very frustrated with my bird as well, and live in a condo so I can't really let him scream while I ignore him, although I try...It's hard living with other people too, who won't always help with training the way you would like them to. I don't know what else to say, as I'm still in the trial and error phase as well. But good luck to you, I hope that you find something that works soon!

Most Reactions

Latest posts