Is this behavior normal for my Macaw?

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
Sun Beam has been a part of our family for a week and one day now. Today he finally started exploring a little bit. However, he has been doing this "bite his leg and screech"
He does it with both legs and his wings. I don't know if he learned this, or if something is wrong.
He does have a vet appointment on February the 20th to get a check up and make sure he is healthy.
And I also, don't know what the head bobbing is, it was almost like he was trying to throw up.
I actually got all this on video, but the file was to big for me to attach it.
Any ideas would be very helpful, thank you

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
GOod on you for the vet visit, make sure it is a Certified Avian Vet (CAV) and not a dog/cat vet who just 'sees' birds. Get a full medical work up while there - everything blood work, feces, etc etc. That way the vet will have a base line, in case of issues in the future. Its quite important. The leg thing could be either, a real issue or just learned behavior. The vet will know.

The head bobbing - could be regurgitation, common behavior for parrots in mating season and occasionally other times, but parrots do that too just because. My Amazon does that too - why? WHo knows! Its funny and maybe because it elicits a laugh from us, he repeats it.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bingo my Yellow nape bites his own leg every time he fights with his toys.
he has done this as far as I can remember the whole 30 something years we have owned him.

also have a cockatiel that fights and appears to have arguments with his foot.

on day I have to record that.

OP
sunbeam

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
Thank you!
He is going to a certified avian vet. I really do not know much about his history except he is 3 years old and the man had him less than a year.
This is my first big bird, and I knew he was going to be different than my conures and budgies, but Holy cow! I absolutely love him!
The fact that he may be having arguments with his leg is hilarious!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Are you sure he is a Blue and Yellow? I have heard Blue and Gold, but I have not seen everything?

Head Bobbing is a common communication tool for Mac's especially when communicating at distance. It is sometimes followed by a side swing (side to side). I have used it for years as a means of introduction from a distance.

You must understand that your Mac is serious intelligent and mental games are as popular as physical games.

Enjoy!!

OP
sunbeam

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
The man I got him from told me blue and yellow. I could be very mistaken tho as we are both getting to learn each other.
Am extremely impressed with how smart he is, needless to say, I have probably been played several times now and not even now it!!
I have seen the side swing also that is wonderful to know! Thank you

Attachments

• 20240204_172747.jpg
    20240204_172747.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 20

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
He's gorgeous! I've seen a handful of folks call them blue and yellow, but far as I know, that's just a mistake on their part. It happens.

We'd love to see the videos too. Best way to do them is upload them to YouTube and paste the link into your post. Shows right up, super easy. If you don't want the comments or having them public, you can specify private on YouTube, then the only people that see them are ones you've provided the link to. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
YES, you have a Blue & Gold!!

One of the most common types of MAC's in North America!!

I would Strongly Recommend that as Part of your upcoming Avian Vet Visit that you strongly consider having your Parrot Micro Chipped as this group of Parrots is commonly stolen!! It is very concerning that the prior owner did not see that this Parrot is a Blue & Gold. Do Not Allow the Pass Owner near your home or this Parrot!

It requires a DNA Sex test to determine the sex of you Parrot

Note: You have a big Parrot and big parrots require much larger Perches!! It would not be unusual for your MAC to be more comfortable on a 3" Mac Perch!

See: Getting to the Foot of the Problem

Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
sunbeam

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
I will definitely talk to the vet about a chip.
The old owner didn't know much about him, which I thought odd. All I got was he eats pellets and that is all he really needs. He laughs and sings.
Which now I know he has a huge vocabulary! It's amazing!
I do give him pellets and his veggies and some fruits. And have started making some of the recipes I have come across.
The past owner has no idea where I live and Sunbeam is never alone! My son and him bond during the day while I work and I get the afternoons. He is well on his way to being really spoiled!
Will definitely look to getting bigger perches.
Thank you!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have never owned a Mac and most likely never will.
we kept a burrowing owl long time ago.
The head bobbing they do is I think for 2 main reasons.

1 territorial display. This is mine.
2 but I always thought it was a way for them to Gauge distance. Getting a parallax view so to speak.

the bobbing I saw at end of your video looks to me more like the Start of regurgitation.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Aside from all the comments made so far, he talks very clearly! From what I've seen and heard, Macs don't have the same vocal abilities, but Sunbeam's voice - clear as a bell! Very cool!

OP
sunbeam

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
Hey everybody! Just wanted to give an update. Sunbeam finally went to the avian vet today. He got a clear bill of health so far. We are waiting on the blood work to come back. They did get a poo sample, he didnt say anything on that. He also got a beak trim and toe nails clipped.
I wasn't for sure how he would do at the vet. He did wonderful! When we walked in he instantly started telling everyone "hello"!! Was exciting.
Sunbeam, for the first time, held my hand!!! He wanted to touch me!!! I was one happy momma!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts