Yesss Maybe getting a really good deal on a used cage.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
Yesterday i was looking through a website that has classifieds and stuff.. and i was looking in the birds section and i saw so many great deals! well anyway theres a lady who is selling a avian adventures cage for only 200$ its used. She doesn't know the model or name of it.. im just searching that now.. and trying to find out what it would cost new. anyway i think its a pretty good deal she said she paid 800 for it new... which kind of worries me since ive never seen an avian adventure cage that expensive unless its a large bird cage(ex. macaw, grey) but the dimensions she gave me didn't seem right for a large bird cage because it would be way to small. the bar spacing she said was littler bit over 3/4 so i dont know.. i think its big for a senegal. I was talking to my mom last night about the cage and i said i dont know if its too big though .. it may be more suited for like a macaw or grey... anyway my mom then said well you want a grey dont you(i told her the other day that i wanted one but i wasn't meaning like now... like this year i was meaning like when i atleast graduate and have more time) and i said well ya but do you know how much they are and stuff and she said like oh well your gettinga summer job aren;'t you so you'd only have to save up half(since she said she'd pay for half of my bird stuff) and now im just thinking... im really tempted ot get a grey but i dont think i have enough time. omg why did my mom have or suggest that!

ohb ya and does anyone know if 3/4 barspacing is too large for a sengeal ? i think it is but i jus want to doublt check jus incase.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
The cage I have for Popsicle has 3/4" bar spacing which is perfect for a Senegal. The other dimensions for her cage is 28" L x 34" H x 24" D. This seems to me like a great size for her, lots of space for toys, perchs and room for her to flap her wings.

OP
meghanxx4

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
ok let me dig out the email the lady sent me...

k heres the email she sent me

Hi Meghan the living area of the cage is28 in. wide 22in. deep 30 in. high. The
spacing of the bars is approx. three quarters of an inch just a tiny bit bigger
than that. I dont no the model number. Karen

Ive searched the net for the cage and im thinking it may be this one:

http://www.americas-pet-store.com/details/prodid/559.html

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
That looks like a great cage, and yep 3/4 inch spacing is fine for a senegal. I have kito in a 3/4 inch bar spacing cage, and its not ideal for him as he keeps catching the top of his wing inside. 1 inch is far better for greys IMO. Which is why Kito is getting a new cage.

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Meghan, do you know what happened to the previous bird that lived in the cage? Make sure you ask, and of course I'm sure you know to wipe it all down and disinfect it anyway.

Do you know if it's dome-top or play-top?

That seems like a great deal for the cage. Even if you don't plan on getting a bird right away, it seems like a good idea to buy it and store it until you'll need it

OP
meghanxx4

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Its not a dome top cage. It has a play top on top. and yes of course ill clean it out well before i put anything living inside. I dont know how the previous bird died, but i can find out. I just hate to send her more emails ive already sent her so many questions. lol I just keep on forgetting different question.. atleast she gets back to me pretty quick. I will wait for the lady before i send her another question lol. and ya i just realized 3/4 was fine for a senegal thanks to Tracy and also the internet. :D

heres the add that was posted on the site:

Beautiful avian adventure parrot cage with play top, skirt. shelf with cater wheels, powder coated, new condition $200.00 firm worth over $800.00.

so im hoping i can get the cage... then ill just ahve to get the bird and toys(since my dog chewed up the toys i had made!) and a few more perches.

im going to keep the cage in the living room since my tiels are in my bedroom and i dont want them to get sick incase the new bird is sick or something. Ill probably keep the senegal in the living room its whole life because its most interactive and stuff... but it doesn't work out (ei. my cat tries to attack it ) then ill be moving the bird and cage either in my sisters old bedroom or my bedroom.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Just be very careful with the Senegal and the cat, for some reason Senegals think they're as big as Macaws. They have no fear and will chase cats dogs, etc. My cat is afraid usually of popsicle.

OP
meghanxx4

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Ya ill be sure to keep an i on that.. my cat is usually outside anyway. Shes not much of a family/indoor cat really... hopefully my sister will be moving out and into somewhere that allows cat.... because the cat is actually hers. Sometimes my cat comes in at night... so ill just keep the living room door shut ... and also when where not home since it gets in through the windows sometimes.

Most Reactions