Out of the cage?

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
When is ok to start letting him out?
its day 4 and so far he lets you pat him all over and and seems to have started a playfighting game where he moves his head fast and pretends to bite you, but just gums you and wants his head rubbed.
he walks over my hand and arm in the cage but wont yet sit on my hand.
He moves away in his cage only if you put your face near the bars.
Is it too early to let fly around the house?
I dont want to have to chase him down and stess him out to get him back in.
He is doing much wing flapping in his cage, so I am thinking he needs a fly.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yes I would say let him out, leave his door open so that he is able to get in on his own, don't put food/water out of his cage, that way after a good fly around he'll want some food/water and will prob go in on his own, or allow you to put him in,

Let us know how he get on with his first outing :D

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
ok
1st outing well indifferently.
He got out on the outside perch and sat for a while, then flew off to the window sill. Nothing exciting for a while, then into the hall to take up residence out of reach on the top mast of a 1/12th scale Model ship (the Cutty Sark, actually) till the sun wnet down.( I have a pic). Then Back on top of the cage sitting quietly,...... for 6 freakin hours!!!!. At 2am he went in for water and I dropped the cage door shut, showing none of the panic I was feeling.

the score is master 1, Bird Zip.

Tonight he indicated it was time to come out by playing with the latch on the top of the cage. I decided I could do with a stress free night so he is staying in.
I will happier when he will let me hold him or come to me when out of the cage.
So ends day ,...ummm 7?
Thanx for the advice.
No one is dead yet.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Make sure you give him lots of praise when he goes in the cage, Have you got a treat that he really loves that you could give him only when he goes in the cage. That may help. Don't give up on getting him used to the hand, things will be a lot easier (for you) when he is used to that and will come readily to the hand.

the score is master 1, Bird Zip.

Be very careful when keeping score, cos just when you think you've won he'll make you real sorry. :18: :18:

Most Reactions