Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatoos

>
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2016, 05:45 AM
Junior Member
Parrots:
Male Galah Cockatoo
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: England
Thanks: 5
Thanked 37 Times in 8 Posts
jessykai is on a distinguished road
I've hit a road block!

Some of you might have seen my thread about picking up an 11 year old galah.

Over the past few days, he has become terrified of me. He's fine with my mum, a friend came round last night to see how he'd react to her and he was fine with her.
The only triggers I can think of for this is either my body language when i'm not actually interacting with him (lots of stress from work atm, but i make sure I a happy chappy person when I'm with the animals), or a few nights ago I had a bit of a "break down" when I thought I had lost my grandmother's ring (and I was running around the house like a headless chicken but not in the room that he was in!)

One day we were playing nicely and he was being a cheeky little bird, and then the next he was quivering in fear, getting in a panic and flapping around, heavy breathing etc. There is no aggression from him, just pure fear, and it's breaking my heart!

I have him booked in with an avian vet today to hopefully rule out anything medical and make sure he has a clean bill of health, after that I'll know if it's that i have to try and rebuild his trust.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to go about doing that? At the moment he will take sunflower seeds from hand through the cage bars, but anything else just gets thrown on the floor!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2016, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK
Thanks: 2,631
Thanked 5,514 Times in 3,110 Posts
plumsmum2005 will become famous soon enough
Re: I've hit a road block!

Quote: Originally Posted by jessykai View Post
Some of you might have seen my thread about picking up an 11 year old galah.

Over the past few days, he has become terrified of me. He's fine with my mum, a friend came round last night to see how he'd react to her and he was fine with her.
The only triggers I can think of for this is either my body language when i'm not actually interacting with him (lots of stress from work atm, but i make sure I a happy chappy person when I'm with the animals), or a few nights ago I had a bit of a "break down" when I thought I had lost my grandmother's ring (and I was running around the house like a headless chicken but not in the room that he was in!)

One day we were playing nicely and he was being a cheeky little bird, and then the next he was quivering in fear, getting in a panic and flapping around, heavy breathing etc. There is no aggression from him, just pure fear, and it's breaking my heart!

I have him booked in with an avian vet today to hopefully rule out anything medical and make sure he has a clean bill of health, after that I'll know if it's that i have to try and rebuild his trust.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to go about doing that? At the moment he will take sunflower seeds from hand through the cage bars, but anything else just gets thrown on the floor!
Hi he's probably just tuning into you atm.

Make sure you use soft eye movements, no direct staring, bit submissive to put him at his ease. You may or may not realise that he is probably watching you most of the time so really easier said than done you need to conquer your stress if you want him to bond with you.

When you are able to be calm sit with/near his cage and do calm stuff - read, sew, knit, paint, draw, write and talk to him softly, engage him in what you are doing.

Try almonds and walnuts (tiny pieces) as a treat. Think the walnuts better than the almonds. Mine loves Nutriberries and banana.

Ps go easy on Sunflower seeds as high fat - I wont feed them anymore.
__________________




Last edited by plumsmum2005; 04-06-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Siobhan's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Illinois
Thanks: 6
Thanked 951 Times in 387 Posts
Siobhan is on a distinguished road
Re: I've hit a road block!

'Toos are very reactive and emotional birds and almost anything could be at the root of this. Maybe you remind him of someone who frightened him in the past. Maybe he doesn't like your hair or your clothes or your scent. Maybe you're doing something unconsciously that reminds him of something that scares him -- like body language, I mean. Settling in takes a long time, and usually birds go back and forth with which person they like best for a while before they make up their minds. So ... suck up to him! LOL Treats and special attention and share your food with him and sing to him and maybe he'll get over it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Junior Member
Parrots:
Male Galah Cockatoo
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: England
Thanks: 5
Thanked 37 Times in 8 Posts
jessykai is on a distinguished road
Re: I've hit a road block!

Unfortunately he's a poorly birdie
He's back to the vets tomorrow for X-rays and lots of tests, but at the very least they suspect chlamydia and liver disease. Liver disease I was half expecting after his previous 11 years diet of sunflower seed and peanut mix. But if it is that causing this level of symptoms (he does have a few things I didn't mention on here), then he is much worse than thought
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Christinenc2000's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Carolina
Thanks: 5,268
Thanked 5,762 Times in 2,064 Posts
Christinenc2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: I've hit a road block!

Quote: Originally Posted by jessykai View Post
Unfortunately he's a poorly birdie
He's back to the vets tomorrow for X-rays and lots of tests, but at the very least they suspect chlamydia and liver disease. Liver disease I was half expecting after his previous 11 years diet of sunflower seed and peanut mix. But if it is that causing this level of symptoms (he does have a few things I didn't mention on here), then he is much worse than thought

That is sad Keep us updated please
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Christinenc2000 For This Useful Post:
Mamaof3 (04-06-2016)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: UK
Thanks: 2,631
Thanked 5,514 Times in 3,110 Posts
plumsmum2005 will become famous soon enough
Re: I've hit a road block!

Hi jessykai, so sorry that your little fella is not well.

Here is a link for information sake re Chlamydia - Chlamydia Psittaci

Please let us know how it goes with him.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2016, 08:59 AM
Blancaej's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Middlebury, VT
Thanks: 2,316
Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,254 Posts
Blancaej is on a distinguished road
Re: I've hit a road block!

I'm so sorry to hear that your galah has such health issues. It's hard when you get a bird from another home. Especially if they were not cared for properly. You never know what adverse effects that will have on them. You always hope that there health is at least ok. Good luck and keep us posted.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Junior Member
Parrots:
Male Galah Cockatoo
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: England
Thanks: 5
Thanked 37 Times in 8 Posts
jessykai is on a distinguished road
Re: I've hit a road block!

Just a quick update before I go to bed.

Chlamydia test came back negative!
Bone density is shockingly low.
Liver doesn't look enlarged but we have to wait for blood test results to rule out liver disease.
He's had an array of other tests carried out that I need to wait for the results for (full blood profile/iron & zinc toxicity levels/fecal tests/& few other things I can't remember)

i took the opportunity while he was under anaesthetic to have him microchipped.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2016, 07:39 PM
ToMang07's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Maine, USA
Thanks: 474
Thanked 1,459 Times in 566 Posts
ToMang07 is on a distinguished road
Re: I've hit a road block!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the guy. Hopefully the vet can get to the bottom of things and get him on the mend.
__________________
~Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo. (Owner of Tom the Human.)

"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it is unfamiliar territory to them."

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Scott's Avatar
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Thanks: 79,815
Thanked 40,339 Times in 14,255 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road
Re: I've hit a road block!

Quote: Originally Posted by jessykai View Post
Just a quick update before I go to bed.

Chlamydia test came back negative!
Bone density is shockingly low.
Liver doesn't look enlarged but we have to wait for blood test results to rule out liver disease.
He's had an array of other tests carried out that I need to wait for the results for (full blood profile/iron & zinc toxicity levels/fecal tests/& few other things I can't remember)

i took the opportunity while he was under anaesthetic to have him microchipped.
Thank you for taking in your galah and caring enough to seek out veterinary care. Glad the Chlamydia test is negative, and hope the remaining tests will be more positive. If liver disease is indeed present, please discuss the full spectrum of care in addition to conventional medicine.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
Christinenc2000 (04-08-2016), plumsmum2005 (04-08-2016)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatoos

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New kid on the block monching New Members Welcome 45 10-03-2018 03:13 PM
New Kid On The Block FlyingSolo Conures 6 12-07-2014 06:33 PM
Road Block - Comes to a standstill - Mishka antoinette Off Topic 2 05-06-2012 02:25 PM
New kid on the block :P Carpinslerk New Members Welcome 8 03-29-2012 01:51 PM
Hey Ya'll, im the new kid on the block coocoolady New Members Welcome 1 06-27-2008 10:38 AM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.