Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Health Care

General Health Care Remember to use common sense and consult with an avian veterinarian.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 08:52 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
adz1984 is on a distinguished road
Lunging at nothing?

Sponsored Links
So i've noticed my alexandrine sometime's do quick head-turns backwards with small lunges while being alittle vocal, almost af if there is a mosquito behind her or someone she doesn't like trying to touch her from behind/sides each time i've looked i've seen nothing there?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Flboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Parrots:
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Florida
Thanks: 3,294
Thanked 3,311 Times in 2,075 Posts
Flboy is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

A possibility?
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flboy For This Useful Post:
adz1984 (01-01-2017), EllenD (01-15-2017), itchyfeet (01-01-2017), SailBoat Supporting Member (12-29-2016), Scott  (12-31-2016)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:52 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Thanks: 3,222
Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,392 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

Quote: Originally Posted by adz1984 View Post
So i've noticed my alexandrine sometime's do quick head-turns backwards with small lunges while being alittle vocal, almost af if there is a mosquito behind her or someone she doesn't like trying to touch her from behind/sides each time i've looked i've seen nothing there?
Always turning to the same side or will go either way (doesn't have to be equal number of turns)?

If its more either way, its likely to move specific muscles of the neck and the movement also causes physical changes in size of the throat. The first relaxes muscles and the second can release or move 'food' either up or down within the throat.

If it is always a turn in the same direction, that is more likely a question for your Avian Vet as part of you yearly visit. If either become more common, better move up the AV visit!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
adz1984 (01-01-2017), EllenD (12-30-2016)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
adz1984 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

I think it's both sides but i'm not 100% i'll pay more attention next time..
Here is a short video of her doing it right at the start
View My Video

Last edited by adz1984; 12-29-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Thanks: 3,222
Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,392 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

Quote: Originally Posted by adz1984 View Post
I think it's both sides but i'm not 100% i'll pay more attention next time..
Here is a short video of her doing it right at the start
View My Video
Did see what could be small movements of the Bill prior to the full movements (both ways) and after.

Just to add to my Good Friend in Florida's Post (Flboy), could be possible!

Not sure when your up-coming yearly Avian Vet visit is, but keep a close eye on your sweetheart. Maybe an irritation, possible mites?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
adz1984 (01-01-2017)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2016, 09:17 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
adz1984 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

She done it again today and it was to other side, so both sides and no beak movements other than getting ready to bite. Shes only vocal (mumbling, calling etc) 2-3 times a day for about 5mins each and she did it during her vocal time the last 2 times i've seen it, maybe it only happens when shes being vocal i'm not sure yet. I thought of mites too but couldn't confirm or deny due to lack of experience

Last edited by adz1984; 12-31-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2016, 09:54 AM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Thanks: 3,222
Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,392 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

Quote: Originally Posted by adz1984 View Post
She done it again today and it was to other side, so both sides and no beak movements other than getting ready to bite. Shes only vocal (mumbling, calling etc) 2-3 times a day for about 5mins each and she did it during her vocal time the last 2 times i've seen it, maybe it only happens when shes being vocal i'm not sure yet. I thought of mites too but couldn't confirm or deny due to lack of experience
Would have hoped that an Alexandrine experts would have jumped in by now with species specific insight.

OK, checking for mites is much the same as checking for lice on children. It requires a bit of pushing feathers about looking for the little buggers. Its been a while since I have had to look for them, so I may miss a spot or two. Check the rump and vent area, lower back, wings at and near the body joints as with the legs in the same area. With the response seen with your Parrot, I would start with the rump and lower back.

If its outside you're comfort zone and believe me, I would understand. Well, its getting to a point that moving up the yearly Avian Vet visit is becoming a reality.

Any Alexandrine experts want to jump in here?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
adz1984 (12-31-2016)
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2016, 08:06 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Thanks: 24
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
adz1984 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

She doesn't like to be touched generally but i'll try take a closer look, i did find a few small black insects flying at the bottom of her cage that look like fleas (dont think mites can fly)
I've got Avitrol bird mite and lice spray but weary to use it but im thinking of just using alittle on her lower back and tail , perches and bottom of cage is this stuff safe? pretty sure she will preen sprayed area's also read about some people using salted water that worked any idea's?

Last edited by adz1984; 12-31-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Thanks: 3,222
Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,392 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

Salt water treatments are not overly common in the Great White North since we do not normally come in contact with with salt water that often. So, I will let those who have more experience with that kind of treatment comment.

We do not have either cats or dogs so fleas are something that we do not have much experience with either. In the Spring, Summer and Fall we do get no-see-ums. Not aware of flying mites.

A quick Web Search should be able to define the 'Bird safe' status of Avitrol Bird Mite & Lice Spray. As with any Misting Sprays, avoid the Parrots face, eyes, ears and Beak areas. I guess that we have been very lucky regarding bugs, so I have never used this product.

Sorry, not much help this time around!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
adz1984 (01-01-2017)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
DYH Amazon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Grand Rapids Michigan
Thanks: 3,222
Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,392 Posts
SailBoat is on a distinguished road
Re: Lunging at nothing?

Quote: Originally Posted by SailBoat View Post
Salt water treatments are not overly common in the Great White North since we do not normally come in contact with with salt water that often. So, I will let those who have more experience with that kind of treatment comment.

We do not have either cats or dogs so fleas are something that we do not have much experience with either. In the Spring, Summer and Fall we do get no-see-ums. Not aware of flying mites.

A quick Web Search should be able to define the 'Bird safe' status of Avitrol Bird Mite & Lice Spray. As with any Misting Sprays, avoid the Parrots face, eyes, ears and Beak areas. I guess that we have been very lucky regarding bugs, so I have never used this product.

Sorry, not much help this time around!
Did a quick look on the Web. Product is widely available is at least three sizes. Is recommended for a wide cross section of caged Birds and Parrots. Recommendation is to Mist from a distance of 15 to 20". Taking care not to mist the eyes, ears and Beak.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailBoat For This Useful Post:
adz1984 (01-01-2017)
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > General Health Care
Remove Ads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lunging olivia.charlie.xox Indian Ringnecks 6 10-22-2015 03:28 PM
Lunging autum_howard Amazons 19 12-04-2013 11:40 AM
lunging BFA KevH Amazons 17 09-22-2013 01:11 AM
Help with my lunging B & G please mab Macaws 10 05-22-2012 05:19 PM
Lunging parrotlet mishykinz Behavioral 4 01-24-2011 05:54 PM




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2005 - 2009, Parrot Forums.com