Sleep time questions

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
None currently but have owned a cherry headed conure and a sun conure.
I recently brought home a 2 month old green cheek conure. We've had her for a month and I really took time to let her come to me. It actually took almost 3 weeks for her to feel comfortable with coming out of the cage on her own. Now she flys straight to me as soon as the cage is open. I feel our bonding is coming along very well. Her hatch date is 1/22/2024. I'm trying to start things off right with her.

I have a question about sleep time. Her cage is in our family room. I tend to go to bed between 9pm and 10:00pm, but my husband stays up sometimes until 12:30am to 1:00am. He's retired. I do cover her cage usually around 8:00pm, but I'm worried she's not really getting enough sleep because my husband has the tv on the whole time at night and usually 1 light on. I get up and start moving in the family room at 7:20am when I start work at home. I uncover her at this time. Should I be worried with her not getting enough sleep?

I also have a small cage that I kept her in while waiting for her big cage. It's currently in a room off of my bedroom that's my hang out room. I spend a lot of time there at night and on the weekends when I have free time. Last weekend was the first time I brought her to the room and we spent practically 2 days hanging out together all day because it rained all weekend. I thought that maybe that could be a sleep cage for her since I go to be earlier and keep the room very dark. The paint on the walls are actually black too. Do you think this would be a better option? I also have a small Celltei pak-o-bird carrier that I got her so I can just put her in that to move her room to room. We have other pets and I absolutely keep her secured and away from them.

I'd love to hear some others suggestions. I have read where some families do have separate sleep cages for their birds and have actually kept them in their bedroom closets because their homes are so busy at night.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah thats not enuf sleep time. A sleeping cage, away from the all nite tv noise is a great idea for you.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
so long as it's not loud and cage is covered, the bird will sleep in my experience, make sure the volume is way down though or.... I disagree it is bad.

OP
S

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
Yeah thats not enuf sleep time. A sleeping cage, away from the all nite tv noise is a great idea for you.
Thank you so much for confirming that for me. I didn't think it was, but then again I think am I over thinking stuff.

OP
S

Soupspoon1223

Mar 3, 2024
Parrots
so long as it's not loud and cage is covered, the bird will sleep in my experience, make sure the volume is way down though or.... I disagree it is bad.
Yeah, he keeps it pretty loud sometimes I have to text him from the bedroom to turn it down. So if I can hear it that loud upstairs it has to be loud for the bird.

Most Reactions