Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Eclectus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Parrots:
Sunny a female B&G macaw; Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey; All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Thanked 4,775 Times in 1,779 Posts
ChristaNL is on a distinguished road
Re: Darn my little red-head's fiery temper!

Sponsored Links
Oh, poor you!

I agree, the larger the amount of pinfeathers, the worse the tempertantrums about them seem to be.
(Sunny was *no* fun for a few weeks as well, but thankfully she did not molest most of them / this time anyway)

Chris already said it: soak her in cammomile (and get her to drink it as well).
(I've tried the aloe-- but that just annoyed the <excrement> out of my birds here, but chamomile-tea works just fine.)

I would not blame you if you put some kind of collar on her then next round- she will be as annoyed as she can possibly be anyway ... but if semi-forcing her through that phase prevents future misery I am all for it (tough love etc.)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChristaNL For This Useful Post:
Anansi  (12-08-2018), HEEDLESS Supporting Member (12-08-2018), Laurasea (12-08-2018), plumsmum2005 (12-09-2018), SailBoat  (12-08-2018), Scott  (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Parrots:
Parker - male Eclectus Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,772 Posts
chris-md is on a distinguished road

Well, to be clear I meant serve it in lieu of water, or to dress the chop with the dry leaves. With parrots showing feather destructive behavior - and especially those particularly known to be prone to plucking like ekkies - the last thing you want to do is introduce a new substance to the feather surface that attracts their attention further to the feather.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chris-md For This Useful Post:
Allee  (12-08-2018), Anansi  (12-08-2018), HEEDLESS Supporting Member (12-08-2018), Laurasea (12-08-2018), SailBoat  (12-08-2018), Scott  (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thanked 43,145 Times in 14,077 Posts
Anansi will become famous soon enoughAnansi will become famous soon enough

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
My Too really likes spinning plastic linking c-links around. Maybe something like that would be a good distraction.
Thanks, Noodles. I've actually switched around her old toys, added a foraging toy and put in a new one I made. She's tearing them to bits as usual. Problem is, hard to even know how well anything is working - even the Celebrex - since she ripped everything out on the first go around. I guess I'll have a better idea in a few weeks.

Quote: Originally Posted by Laurasea View Post
Dang! That would worry me too! What a great work up she had!!!
Oh, yes. She definitely has a first class CAV working her case. I only hope that proves to be enough.

Quote: Originally Posted by LaManuka View Post
Oh Maya you naughty little red she-devil you, donít go yanking out your beautiful feathers that your daddy has so carefully helped you to cultivate and worry everyone to bits! I do agree with the theory about the plucking causing a small endorphin rush though so it must be very important to stop that cycle before it gets too entrenched. No doubt she is getting the Gold Standard of care from everyone concerned.

I hope she recovers soon, and you too Anansi!
Thank you, LaManuka. This was all so sudden and unexpected, but the entire household is pitching in to try and head all this off at the pass.

Quote: Originally Posted by AmyMyBlueFront View Post
A typical fiery redhead Stephen
Hahahahaha! I won't tell her you said that, Jim. That Diva doesn't accept being considered a typical anything. Lol!
Old 12-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

Quote: Originally Posted by chris-md View Post
Naughty indeed!! Dang Stephen, sorry this is happening! Crossing fingers for the Celebrex!

You might also consider an avian tea to supplement the regimen. Greywood manor has a few options for a calming tea with stuff like lavender and chamomile. Or just straight camomile tea from any grocery store could also do as well.
Thanks, Chris. I've been leaning toward giving her some chamomile tea, actually. Though lavender isn't something I've considered. Guess I've got some reading to do. I'd never heard of Greywood Manor, but I'll look into their teas as well.

Quote: Originally Posted by wrench13 View Post
Discuss a topical anesthetic like lidocane with your vet. If the pain and scratching of a massive molt is triggering a plucking session, that might help. But do it soon before it becomes habit. Good Luck!!
Thanks, Al. I'll bring it up with him, but considering the sheer breadth of skin surface area any topical cream would need to cover, I doubt it will be a viable option. But that's just my layman's opinion. I'll see what he thinks. And yeah, I'll definitely be acting with some urgency.

Quote: Originally Posted by ChristaNL View Post
Oh, poor you!

I agree, the larger the amount of pinfeathers, the worse the tempertantrums about them seem to be.
(Sunny was *no* fun for a few weeks as well, but thankfully she did not molest most of them / this time anyway)

Chris already said it: soak her in cammomile (and get her to drink it as well).
(I've tried the aloe-- but that just annoyed the <excrement> out of my birds here, but chamomile-tea works just fine.)

I would not blame you if you put some kind of collar on her then next round- she will be as annoyed as she can possibly be anyway ... but if semi-forcing her through that phase prevents future misery I am all for it (tough love etc.)
Thanks, Christa. I'm hoping the chamomile tea does the trick, but yes, if need be I'll give her something to wear that keeps her from getting to the feathers. Tough love, indeed.

Quote: Originally Posted by chris-md View Post
Well, to be clear I meant serve it in lieu of water, or to dress the chop with the dry leaves. With parrots showing feather destructive behavior - and especially those particularly known to be prone to plucking like ekkies - the last thing you want to do is introduce a new substance to the feather surface that attracts their attention further to the feather.
Yep, I used to give my flock dry chamomile mixed in with their chop on a somewhat regular basis... but it's been a while since. I'll be starting this practice again, however, along with the tea.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Eclectus. Her name is "KISE" She was born on Jan, 2018
HEEDLESS is on a distinguished road

Oh Dear. Poor you and Maya.

Now I am worry since I have a baby girl with a fiery temper too.

Well.. She is flying in a short distance now. By the way she is now, she will be flying around in two months.

I just plucked few of her broken feathers on her left wing and the left side of her tail (it took only two weeks for it to grow out).
Yes, I plucked them myself since her doctor has put her to sleep three times. I don't want that again, From now on, I will be plucking any broken feather with a forceps.

Anansi. Kise will go see her doctor in two weeks, is there anything I need to tell her doctor or any concern that I do not know and need to ask/tell him??

Please and thank you Sir,

~HEEDLESS~ There is no remedy for love but to love more~

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HEEDLESS For This Useful Post:
Allee  (12-08-2018), Anansi  (12-08-2018), chris-md (12-08-2018), SailBoat  (12-08-2018), Scott  (12-09-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
U2-Poppy Budgies-Piper & Twinkle Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson, Zeke-forever in our hearts, YNA-Bingo, CAG-Jack
Thanked 34,185 Times in 11,656 Posts
Allee will become famous soon enough

Maya, Noooo! Why would you yank those pins before they could release those gorgeous feathers?

Doc, I'm shocked to hear this, I know you're girl is a diva and demands everything in her kingdom to be perfect but really, that was a bit dramatic. I think the chamomile is a great idea and the extra toys to keep her busy and distracted will be helpful. I'm glad to hear her health is excellent. Hopefully with her vet's help, when the new pins come in Maya will be in a calm enough state to allow the feathers to come in.

Please keep us updated, I feel so bad for Maya and for you.

"She is not refined. She is not unrefined. She keeps a parrot." Mark Twain
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Allee For This Useful Post:
Anansi  (12-08-2018), chris-md (12-08-2018), HEEDLESS Supporting Member (12-08-2018), SailBoat  (12-08-2018), Scott  (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanked 28,814 Times in 10,798 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road

Poor Maya, what an unfortunate response to a major molt. Wish I had experience to offer advice, but this may be a seminal moment to stave off an ingrained tendency to p----. (don't wanna even say the word!) I have no doubt you'll find an effective solution.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator
Parrots:

Quote: Originally Posted by HEEDLESS View Post
Oh Dear. Poor you and Maya.

Now I am worry since I have a baby girl with a fiery temper too.

Well.. She is flying in a short distance now. By the way she is now, she will be flying around in two months.

I just plucked few of her broken feathers on her left wing and the left side of her tail (it took only two weeks for it to grow out).
Yes, I plucked them myself since her doctor has put her to sleep three times. I don't want that again, From now on, I will be plucking any broken feather with a forceps.

Anansi. Kise will go see her doctor in two weeks, is there anything I need to tell her doctor or any concern that I do not know and need to ask/tell him??

Please and thank you Sir,

Is the vet that Kise is going to see in two weeks the same one that you'd said was always putting her under with anesthetic and plucking out her flight feathers? If so, you should definitely look for another CAV. And then you should ask the new one about all of the broken feathers that Kise is getting. You shouldn't have to pull her feathers with anywhere near such frequency. Honestly, you really should only have to pull broken blood feathers, as doing so could save her life. Just to give you an idea of how out of the ordinary Kise's situation is, I've kept birds for around 22 or so years now... and I have yet to pull a single feather.

Also, if you haven't yet done so... or haven't done so recently, you should get a complete blood panel done, as well as a Gram stain and fecal test.

Quote: Originally Posted by Allee View Post
Maya, Noooo! Why would you yank those pins before they could release those gorgeous feathers?

Doc, I'm shocked to hear this, I know you're girl is a diva and demands everything in her kingdom to be perfect but really, that was a bit dramatic. I think the chamomile is a great idea and the extra toys to keep her busy and distracted will be helpful. I'm glad to hear her health is excellent. Hopefully with her vet's help, when the new pins come in Maya will be in a calm enough state to allow the feathers to come in.

Please keep us updated, I feel so bad for Maya and for you.
Thanks, Huckleberry. Yeah, this was waaaaaay more dramatic than I'd have expected from Lady Maya. But hopefully between the Celebrex, rearranged and new toys, and the calming teas, we can head this off.

I'm really wondering why her molting was so intense this time around, though. Seems so random.
Allee  (12-09-2018), chris-md (12-09-2018), HEEDLESS Supporting Member (12-09-2018), Inger Supporting Member (12-09-2018), LaManuka Supporting Member (12-09-2018), SailBoat  (12-09-2018), Scott  (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Parrots:

Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Poor Maya, what an unfortunate response to a major molt. Wish I had experience to offer advice, but this may be a seminal moment to stave off an ingrained tendency to p----. (don't wanna even say the word!) I have no doubt you'll find an effective solution.
Thanks, Scott. (Sorry I'm just seeing your post. Looks like we posted at almost the same time.) I'm thinking the same thing about this moment being pivotal. It's such a difficult habit to break once it becomes ingrained, and I feel like I have a rare opportunity here to get out ahead of things. Most members here with pluckers don't get a chance like this. (Due to the fact that I have a defined reason for the behavior at the start that I can focus on.)

Hopefully my choices turn out to be the right ones.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Parrots:
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo / RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanked 28,814 Times in 10,798 Posts
Scott is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Thanks, Scott. (Sorry I'm just seeing your post. Looks like we posted at almost the same time.) I'm thinking the same thing about this moment being pivotal. It's such a difficult habit to break once it becomes ingrained, and I feel like I have a rare opportunity here to get out ahead of things. Most members here with pluckers don't get a chance like this. (Due to the fact that I have a defined reason for the behavior at the start that I can focus on.)

Hopefully my choices turn out to be the right ones.
Without a doubt, you'll find the best choices! Hopefully this is a one-off response to a major molt.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Eclectus
Remove Ads