Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
My Dilute Opaline lovebird Snowii is going through her second molt. Her first molt was a rather tough one, she lost most of her feathers due to trauma, but after the molt, she looked like a floofy lovebird as usual. But this one is her second, and its the start. Her feathers seem a little ruffled, and she has pin feathers [I can't really see her pin feathers cuz her whole head is white, I get to know depending on her reaction during scritches, and she has no bald spots whatsoever.] Is this normal?

She's energetic, Has her usual appetite and her physical self is all normal. But its her feathers I'm concerned on.
what should I do to help her through her molt? she seems rather irritated with the itching, and What warning signs should I look for? Thanks!

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
I think that's pretty normal! Mine have had around three really heavy moults this year for some reason (probably because I've changed their diets a few times) and I just make sure they have lots of water for bathing and I've misted them if they like that. They've come through it just fine by doing that so hopefully that will work for you!

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
I think that's pretty normal! Mine have had around three really heavy moults this year for some reason (probably because I've changed their diets a few times) and I just make sure they have lots of water for bathing and I've misted them if they like that. They've come through it just fine by doing that so hopefully that will work for you!
Oh my- I'm relieved! I'll make sure to give them more bathing and misting. Thank you for replying~! And about scritchies, How Do i scritch her carefully without paining her-? she literally flies on my shoulder, bows her head down, and I scritch, but then she jerks her head closer to my finger and bites me because my finger touched a pin feather by mistake- this is very confusing Q-Q

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Oh my- I'm relieved! I'll make sure to give them more bathing and misting. Thank you for replying~! And about scritchies, How Do i scritch her carefully without paining her-? she literally flies on my shoulder, bows her head down, and I scritch, but then she jerks her head closer to my finger and bites me because my finger touched a pin feather by mistake- this is very confusing Q-Q
None of mine let me scratch them unfortunately! Especially not with pin feathers. Hopefully the feathers grow out soon, it usually only takes a few days for the head feathers

OP
Featherii_Fids

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
None of mine let me scratch them unfortunately! Especially not with pin feathers. Hopefully the feathers grow out soon, it usually only takes a few days for the head feathers
Yeah, lets hope- I handraised my little lovie which is why she's so clingy, but she sometimes can get annoying- And weird enough, My brother loves to watch me getting my ears Killed by her screetches!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Yeah, lets hope- I handraised my little lovie which is why she's so clingy, but she sometimes can get annoying- And weird enough, My brother loves to watch me getting my ears Killed by her screetches!
When my budgie Rocky was a baby growing her first set of feathers I got a baby sized very soft toothbrush to help her groom all those pinfeathers. I would "brush her hair" for her. I got itchy just looking at her covered in pinfeathers like a porcupine, poor baby! If she lets you use a toothbrush just be very gentle and "brush" them in the direction they're growing. Going in the opposite direction my hurt. Either way she will let you know if it hurts!

Most Reactions

Latest posts