Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2018, 03:27 AM
Super_Noel is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help selecting a bird as pet.

Sponsored Links
Guys bad news! I went back to the breeder to show her the problem and she said she will take this one and have a check up and will give me another conure, he wasnt bonded with us because we only had him for 3 days so it was fine..... but a bit sad...

Also while we was changing the cage it bite my brother super hard and blood came out... So i told this to breeder too and she said its better then if you are worried of getting bitten to get a cockatiel or budgie.... Is this true?

She said conure bites lots compared to cockatiel and budgie also conure bite hurts way more as its bigger beak... So i don't what to do ? she said she can give me a conure or cockatiel and budgie... and the one I had she will want it back...?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:55 AM
Parrots:
Cairo the Ekkie!
charmedbyekkie is on a distinguished road

Woah, slow down - don't rush. I understand getting a new family member is exciting, but take time to think things through.

What have you read about conures, cockatiels, and budgies? Have you visited the stickies in those different subforums? Talk to us about why you think one is a better fit for you than the other. Talk to us about your concerns and your hopes.

We can't make decisions for you, but we can share knowledge and experience.

I say this largely because, as a person who read through all the stickies in this entire forum (yes, I'm a bit obsessive about being prepared with all the horror stories and worst-case scenarios, even though they're not species I'm planning on adopting), I would be hesitant about adopting a conure - I was quite surprised you went with a conure, but assumed you had done your research.

Take time to read more and decide if your lifestyle matches which species. Like I said:
- Talk to us about why you think one is a better fit for you than the other.
- Talk to us about your concerns and your hopes.

Last edited by charmedbyekkie; 06-21-2018 at 03:58 AM. Reason: incomplete
The Following User Says Thank You to charmedbyekkie For This Useful Post:
Super_Noel (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 04:14 AM
Super_Noel is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by charmedbyekkie View Post
Woah, slow down - don't rush. I understand getting a new family member is exciting, but take time to think things through.

What have you read about conures, cockatiels, and budgies? Have you visited the stickies in those different subforums? Talk to us about why you think one is a better fit for you than the other. Talk to us about your concerns and your hopes.

We can't make decisions for you, but we can share knowledge and experience.

I say this largely because, as a person who read through all the stickies in this entire forum (yes, I'm a bit obsessive about being prepared with all the horror stories and worst-case scenarios, even though they're not species I'm planning on adopting), I would be hesitant about adopting a conure - I was quite surprised you went with a conure, but assumed you had done your research.

Take time to read more and decide if your lifestyle matches which species. Like I said:
- Talk to us about why you think one is a better fit for you than the other.
- Talk to us about your concerns and your hopes.
Yes I feel like I rushed a bit getting a conure... But luckily my breeder is a good person... She also gave me advice about it and after seeing how hard conures bite and seeing blood...I am really not good with pain.. I am going to do some research and go for cockatiel or budgie. Also I think conure is for someone who is more experienced with birds..
Old 06-21-2018, 05:29 AM
Parrots:
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,848 Posts
LordTriggs is on a distinguished road

budgies and cockatiels can both draw blood when they want to. When it comes to any bird it's a case of when one tears into you. The pain you felt from the conure bite isn't actually hard but because it was sudden and shocked you your brain overloads it as we're programmed to not want to get bitten.

Depending on what you want out of a bird will change your decision greatly. If you want a chill out companion who just sort of relaxes and is a bit mellow then yeah a Cockatiel is good but if you want a playful squeaky cuddle-bug then a Green cheek is your go to. Just remember yes you will get bitten, sure it will hurt BUT he's not going to really damage you anymore than a small cut, think of those little tiny cuts you never notice until you see the blood.

Don't let a little grumpy bite from that first guy turn you off conures. they are pretty easy to look after, they just need a bit of structure
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LordTriggs For This Useful Post:
EllenD (06-22-2018), Flboy Supporting Member (06-22-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 PM
Parrots:
Nico - male Turquoise GCC
sweetpeamusic is on a distinguished road

Obviously I'm partial towards GCCs, especially the Turquoise ones, since I own one, but for a squeamish person I'd definitely recommend the cockatiel.
Even a super tame bird like my Nico will bite sometimes (we can't always do exactly what they want!), and conures bite pretty hard compared to the cockatiel. Nico's taken bits of skin off of people's hands and there has been a little bit of bleeding. His nails are also sharper than the tiel my friend owns, and if left untrimmed can poke holes in the skin, kinda like if you stab yourself with a needle (ouch).
Cockatiels are also probably a bit more quiet than a conure, although GCCs are one of the quietest types of conures. Conures also have a habit of screaming early in the morning and when the sun sets, or just whenever they feel like it, like most birds. From my experience, cockatiels sing and whistle more than conures. Conures can learn to speak (for tiels it's more rare), but mainly your conure will just make screeches and short chirps.
That said, tiels and GCCs are both great small to medium sized companion birds. My sweetheart Nico makes me smile and laugh every day with his antics (he's attempting to chew on the edge of my computer monitor at the moment) and I'm very glad I got him.
I'd suggest you do a bit more research on the differences between the bird species (budgies are great too! They're one of the most popular birds for a reason) and how they would fit into your life. I myself waited and researched for almost four years before getting Nico and I don't regret a minute of the time I waited.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 AM
Thanked 1,303 Times in 795 Posts
Dopey is on a distinguished road

Even with a cockatiel you need a bigger cage.

I have big birds - macaws, greys, and ekkies - so I know they can bite. I'm around smaller birds every weekend - playing with the babies at a bird store. I'd rather get a cockatiel out of a cage than a conure any day. But that is just me.

Are you able to spend some time with them before making a decision? Can you let the bird pick you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dopey For This Useful Post:
Cardinal (06-22-2018), EllenD (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:19 PM
Parrots:
Kaka, the Cockatiel (Clear pied or lutino?) 2 years old
Cardinal is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by LordTriggs View Post
budgies and cockatiels can both draw blood when they want to.
Female budgies can give a very painful bite , but i have not experienced them drawing blood. Cockatiels- have had only 1 cockatiel for 2 years and no blood so far but won't pass any judgements because of the low sample size
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardinal For This Useful Post:
EllenD (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Parrots:
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Thanked 3,370 Times in 1,507 Posts
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Okay, so what bird do you have right now? Do you have any bird right now in your home? You lost me after you gave the first one up for some reason, I couldn't understand what you meant when you said that you "took the first bird back to the breeder to show her the problem and she gave you another Conure"...I don't know what the problem with the first Conure was, he looked perfectly fine, his cere was fine...So now the second Conure bit your brother, and now you've given that one back too? Is that right? Or do you still have it? If you're not planning on keeping it then I'd give it back immediately, it's not fair to the bird or the breeder...

I think you need to stop at the moment and not bring back ANY BIRD from the breeder when you return this second Conure...I think you rushed into this decision, as we told you in the beginning of your post. And I think you know why we told you this now...It doesn't seem that you're quite ready for any bird at all yet...The cage that you have is way, way, way too small for either a Cockatiel or a Conure, and that will need to be remedied before you bring any other bird home...

Besides the cage issue, please do not think that bringing a Cockatiel or a Budgie home is going to solve your problems, as it just seems that you are not prepared for having a pet bird right now, neither emotionally or in routine/schedule...2 hours a day out-of-cage-time is not long enough for ANY species of bird, you must have at least 4-5 hours each day for the bird to be out of it's cage, regardless of species, otherwise you're going to end-up with a hand-raised bird that becomes nippy, as well as a bored bird that either screams all day long, or starts plucking itself, or both...

And believe me, as a long-time Budgie (English and American) and Cockatiel breeder and owner, they can both bite every bit as hard as a Green Cheek, even a small Budgie can break the skin if they want to, and a Cockatiel is no different in this respect than the Green Cheek...you're going to get bitten, that's just a part of owning a bird. It doesn't mean that anything is wrong with the bird, nor does it mean that the bird is "mean" or "not tame", it means that it's trying to tell you that something you are doing is something that it doesn't like. There's a learning-curve here, and you aren't going to find any bird that doesn't let you know when you're doing something it doesn't like.

It's never the bird's fault, it's always the human's fault...This is something that you need to remember...

You need to decide what exactly it is that you're looking for in a pet bird BEFORE you bring another one home...A Cockatiel has a completely different personality than a Green Cheek Conure does, they tend to be a bit more independent than Conures are, they aren't as cuddly or clingy, they will hang-out with you, but in-general a Conure is more of a person's "baby" than a Cockatiel is...HOWEVER, each bird is an individual, just like people are, so you cannot expect that you're going to get a certain type of personality, no matter what species you bring home...You must be ready for anything, you must be prepared, and you must have enough time for any bird you get...
brighterdaysaviary (06-22-2018), charmedbyekkie (06-22-2018), Flboy Supporting Member (06-22-2018), itzjbean (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Parrots:
An Amazon Parrot and many Lovebirds.
brighterdaysaviary is on a distinguished road

I agree 100% with Ellen. Well spoken.
The Following User Says Thank You to brighterdaysaviary For This Useful Post:
Flboy Supporting Member (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Thanked 7,056 Times in 3,929 Posts
Flboy is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by brighterdaysaviary View Post
I agree 100% with Ellen. Well spoken.
I meet your 100% and raise you 200%
I must say, my JoJo draws blood once a month, but it is absolutely my fault!
Normally, he bites, I say, why did you bite me that way?
In big Conure eyes, he replies, I am so sorry, which way should I have bitten you?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Community > Questions and Answers
Remove Ads