Seed and Pellet Controversy?

Wingnut

Feb 25, 2016
South Carolina, USA
Parrots
Kiwi The Lovebird
Iā€™ve recently added a beautiful little Lovebird to my home and have been feeding her ā€œparakeet seedā€ currently as that is what sheā€™s been used to. I just wanted to ask....Seed or pellets?

About 4 years ago a very well known bird store near me always suggested a mixture of seed and pellet. Recently, the avian vetrinarian I use has said to never use seed (yet he uses it in the hospital). And Iā€™m the past I was told to always use just seed or just pellets!?
So what really is going on? Iā€™ve been feeding my birbs seed with a little pellet mixed in. Should I be feeding something different?

:white1::rainbow1:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
You want a varied diet. Same as for you and me! The so called ā€˜perfectā€™ diet of pellets is the same as eating granola bars for the rest of your life!
My JoJo gets high quality seeds every day! Most pellets are soy, wheat, or rice as the first ingredients!

Last edited:
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

Feb 25, 2016
South Carolina, USA
Parrots
Kiwi The Lovebird
Thank you! I was told the other day that cheap grains like corn were used in pellets also. Honestly seed has been used for years....I just find people everywhere that say one is bad and one is good. :confused:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
corn is commonly used as the base for pellets but a lot of the time they also have better things granted you get a good brand.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please understand that this subject has been and will continue to be a disputed subject regardless of which position you take or believe in.

'I' believe that this subject requires that the individual needs to clearly understand what the requirements of your species of bird (Parrot) needs! This is not a simple undertaking as the information can be very limited. One of the methods of doing this is too know where in this World your species originates and what is available in that area.

What is a Seed Diet???? Ask one hundred Parrot owners and be prepared for 100 answers. What is the correct Pellet for your Parrot and you will be faced with a fairly long list of different Manufacturers and the different products each makes.

The reality is that different Parrot Species require different diets. To add to this confusion, the life style of the parrot will require variations from the base requirements. A Parrot that is free to fly around the home 'at will' will require a different diet than a Parrot that sits on a perch all day, day after day. That being true, there is no one individual perfect diet or diet base!

I am an Amazon Snob! Amazons are faced with specific health problems that are diet based. And, that list of health problems continues to expand as our understanding increases and as our Avian Health Experts are exposed to these realities.

What we know today: Amazons need (as stated by Flboy) a varied diet and, this seems to be true with near all Parrots. As part of the Amazon Forum is a Sticky Thread (highlighted in light blue) Titled: I Love Amazons. This very large Thread contains over 30 segments supporting Loving and Living with Amazons (and other Parrots). One of those segments define what a varied diet for an Amazon would be developed from. It is worth looking at to understand what thinking goes into developing a diet.

It is important to understand that no one diet item provides everything a Parrot needs.

Enjoy!

caiquewalk

Feb 16, 2018
Media
Itā€™s quite controversial, my vet has a holistic approach to his practice and dislikes pellets but being honest i find personally that taking out seed in my caiques diet has reduce his hormones.

I feed my Caique a combination of Tropimix, Vetafarm Amazon Mix, and fresh vegetables and legumes with a sprinkle of hempseed. He gets a dose of extra vitamins once a week to cover any extra ground missed on his diet.

Itā€™s all about what works for the individual, for instance some birds can have problems digesting seed or pellets.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
The Rb has been on this regimen for 34 years now. I have a lot of faith in Harrison's... developed by an avian vet way back when, and updated/improved along the way.

I really like what Mr. Boats said about noe one item being adequate for a successful diet.

Harrison's Bird Foods
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products. :)

brighterdaysaviary

Jun 11, 2018
Florida, USA
Parrots
An Amazon Parrot and many Lovebirds.
Lovebirds are generally more active than other species of birds. So they do benefit from SOME seeds in their diet.

The best diet for lovebirds (in my opinion and experience breeding and owning lovebirds) is mostly veggies (50%), pellets (25%) I personally buy Zupreem and they love it, it also has ground fruits and veggies so they are used to the taste, fruit (10%) and seeds/treats (15%).

But most definitely do not only feed seeds. I have no experience in sprouting seeds however I know they have nutritional value.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Variety is the spice of life! The regimen for my flock has changed over the years, at this point it primarily consists of fresh vegetables/fruits and Harrison's pellets. Treats such as pieces of almond/walnut, bits of whole-grain dark bread, and cooked oatmeal are given. Once or twice a week they receive a teaspoon or so of a quality seed mix.

Most Reactions

Latest posts