African Grey price increase due to Defra / Article 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
My house is 7m x 7m floorspace. Plus the 2.5m x 5m conservatory I just built. The parrots are welcome to 3.5 x 1.5m of the house :)

Wow, downsizing, what a strange idea. So Enzo is never shut in anywhere? Don't you find things destroyed when you wake up?

good for you, i was rattling around in my other house and this one is in a perfect location next to woodland and the countryside. Enzo is in her big cage when im at work at the office or when im out of the house. She sleeps in her 'ni night' cage so its all good really. Doors and banisters get chewed/replaced/chewed/replaced etc etc and she throws everything off the kitchen worktops but its all a laugh for me. No wife any more so its a much better/cheaper alternative ;) (back on subject)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Here's something on diagnosis- Now, I said you had to have a metal panel because there could be alterations in standard CBC levels due to OTHER issues-- this assumes you have already ruled those out:

"Diagnosis:
Because the routes of heavy metal exposure are typically external (physical contact) and/or consumption, tissues that can be used to assess concentrations of metals include feathers, egg, liver, kidney, and others. The metal content of feathers can be used to monitor environmental contamination.2 A tentative diagnosis can be based on history of exposure, clinical signs, laboratory results (mild anemia), and/or radiographs.4,6 Lead is best measured in liver and bone.1

Baseline complete blood count of a bird with heavy metal toxicosis would show leukocytosis and hypochromic regenerative anemia.1,3,4,6 Blood chemistry might show elevated levels of lactate dehydrogenase, aspartate aminotransferase, bile acids, and creatine phosphokinase. Birds with zinc toxicosis may also have elevated lipase, amylase, and uric acid levels.

Radiographs can reveal metal opacity in the gastrointestinal system, especially the ventriculus, but radiographic findings are not definitive1,3,4 (FIGURE 4). Definitive diagnosis is based on postmortem examination of the pancreas, liver, and kidneys. The organ of choice to test for zinc is the pancreas1,5; pancreatic zinc levels greater than 1000 mcg/g are suggestive of toxicosis.4"

here is a source on metal issues from galvanized metal-- first hit: https://www.currumbinvetservices.co... cages, galvanized,swallow pieces of the wire.

another https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/heavy-metal-toxicosis

Last edited:
OP
H

hucker

Banned
Banned
May 16, 2017
You wouldn't be able to see it if it were- let me see if I can find you a link and then I need to actually go try to locate some compost because apparently, the truck that delivers to all of the stores in my area was blocked or flipped, and now I need composted manure and can't get it unless I go knocking on doors lol....either way-- I need to plant these seeds or I will lose the season.

One of my birds will probably be getting a blood test in a couple of weeks to make sure he's over what the vet said was a calcium deficiency (which I'm not convinced of since he eats lots of cheese!). I'll make sure the test includes zinc levels.

I hope they aren't eating it, or I have a lot of rebuilding to do!

OP
H

hucker

Banned
Banned
May 16, 2017
good for you, i was rattling around in my other house and this one is in a perfect location next to woodland and the countryside. Enzo is in her big cage when im at work at the office or when im out of the house. She sleeps in her 'ni night' cage so its all good really. Doors and banisters get chewed/replaced/chewed/replaced etc etc and she throws everything off the kitchen worktops but its all a laugh for me. No wife any more so its a much better/cheaper alternative ;) (back on subject)

I could never move to a smaller house, I love space. It's not as if you have to use it, it's easy enough to never use a few rooms if the house is more than you need. Then you have storage space. Doesn't everybody accumulate loads of stuff they don't have room to store? Garage and sheds and attic crammed full?

Yeah mine chew things when they're out too, I also just replace when required, I'm not fussy what things look like. The only problem is keeping them away from what could harm them, like electrical wires.

OP
H

hucker

Banned
Banned
May 16, 2017
Here's something on diagnosis- Now, I said you had to have a metal panel because there could be alterations in standard CBC levels due to OTHER issues-- this assumes you have already ruled those out:

"Diagnosis:
Because the routes of heavy metal exposure are typically external (physical contact) and/or consumption, tissues that can be used to assess concentrations of metals include feathers, egg, liver, kidney, and others. The metal content of feathers can be used to monitor environmental contamination.2 A tentative diagnosis can be based on history of exposure, clinical signs, laboratory results (mild anemia), and/or radiographs.4,6 Lead is best measured in liver and bone.1

Baseline complete blood count of a bird with heavy metal toxicosis would show leukocytosis and hypochromic regenerative anemia.1,3,4,6 Blood chemistry might show elevated levels of lactate dehydrogenase, aspartate aminotransferase, bile acids, and creatine phosphokinase. Birds with zinc toxicosis may also have elevated lipase, amylase, and uric acid levels.

Radiographs can reveal metal opacity in the gastrointestinal system, especially the ventriculus, but radiographic findings are not definitive1,3,4 (FIGURE 4). Definitive diagnosis is based on postmortem examination of the pancreas, liver, and kidneys. The organ of choice to test for zinc is the pancreas1,5; pancreatic zinc levels greater than 1000 mcg/g are suggestive of toxicosis.4"

here is a source on metal issues from galvanized metal-- first hit: https://www.currumbinvetservices.co... cages, galvanized,swallow pieces of the wire.

another https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/heavy-metal-toxicosis

I don't have a Biology degree! So how do I test for zinc consumed from chewing metal caging? I assume my vet will know.

OP
H

hucker

Banned
Banned
May 16, 2017
house is still reasonable, 2up2down brand new detached, 8X14m so plenty for me and Enzo.

I don't know what "2up2down" means. I thought that meant a block of flats - 4 houses, 2 upstairs, 2 downstairs.

I assume 8x14m is the total floor area, sounds nice, twice as big as mine, hence me building extensions. My neighbour was furious when he found out I'd built something the same size as his for £1000. He'd spent £14000.

I still wouldn't have moved to somewhere smaller, but I guess if you can't afford the mansion anymore :-/

Moderator edit: This thread has run its course and is now closed to further posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions