Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Macaws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2020, 01:43 PM
BirdieDad is on a distinguished road
Re: Bird Walking

Quote: Originally Posted by Jottlebot View Post
Wow! A surprising amount of weaponry discussed for use of keeping dogs at bay! It's a bit of a shock (no stun gun related pun intended), but I'm a Brit, so having weapons on me to solve a problem just isn't really part of my thinking and I also have dogs and a parrot and I've never walked mine - the parrot that is, not the dogs.

I can only apologise for the above ramble, but somewhere in there I think there's a reasonable point or 2, even if they are well disguised...
You are coming from a peaceful place with a tremendous amount of love and respect for all living things. I also try to live in this place, but I am forced to live in reality. Not sure of your experience, but I have been a doctor for almost 10 years. In this span I have seen many noses removed, eyes lost, entire lips lost, ears gouged by dogs that were deemed to be harmless. I have even seen foot eaten by a small dog off a person who was sleeping, the person had no sensation in that foot. Point being, all animals are unpredictable. People, especially dog owners, tend to exercise poor control over their animals around others. This is why there are so many dog bites. If a strange dog approaches you and changes it's mind about their intentions then you will not have enough time to respond and protect yourself and your pet. Those are just the facts. If you are willing to take the risk, then that is definitely your choice and I am not judging it. My choice is to protect my animals. Also as an aside, I worked with security dogs (love dogs and all animals) but right dog with wrong intentions can do irreparable damage. A stun will not make any friends but it may save you a trip to ER, or worse case scenario, the pet cemetery. I have be aggressively approached by three dogs on two walks and only one was on a leash. Seems like a matter of time and I keep changing where we walk trying to avoid the pups.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdieDad For This Useful Post:
Scott  (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:
Parker - male Eclectus Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Thanked 6,680 Times in 2,521 Posts
chris-md is on a distinguished road

Jottlebot has a point. Reality is if it’s dangerous enough that you have to carry weaponry to protect the bird, it’s really not a safe practice to take the bird out in the first place.

This is being way overthought; id take a step back and reevaluate if I were you.

I actively dog sit (some of whom have desperately wanted to get to my bird), I walk my bird in areas dogs are walked. I’ve never had to carry any sort of hardware.
Scott  (06-29-2020), theconductor (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 03:53 PM

I disagree for many reasons. With all due respect, I don't think the logic holds. I adore dogs, but they can become easily provoked and attack. I have sewn many lacerations in the ED that started with the story, "I have never seem him/her act like that." Of course I look for trails with no dogs, avoid dogs, and I am in no way looking for dogs to confront. My birds really seem to enjoy getting out of the house and walking around with their harness. I see absolutely no problem with being safe in case something were to happen. I do think you are entitled to take risks you deem reasonable. I understand you have never had to carry any hardware, but it only takes one time (heaven forbid) and you may regret not being prepared. I do not see the downside to carrying a canine stun, if I never use it then all the better.
The Following User Says Thank You to BirdieDad For This Useful Post:
Scott  (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:18 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:

Iím not sure how ďif itís very dangerous, donít take the bird outĒ somehow fails a logic test.

Itís your bird, buddy, and youíre call. But driving down a city street in a tank becuase youíre afraid a fender bender is not what I would call reasonable.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally Posted by chris-md View Post
Iím not sure how ďif itís very dangerous, donít take the bird outĒ somehow fails a logic test.

Itís your bird, buddy, and youíre call. But driving down a city street in a tank becuase youíre afraid a fender bender is not what I would call reasonable.
Not what I was referring to. I was referring to your anecdotal experience of "never having to carry hardware". Comparing me carrying a stun gun made for dogs for the reason of prevalent dog bites to driving down the street in a tank is false equivalency. No disrespect and I appreciate your opinion. I agree with looking for safe areas, but prefer to be prepared. If the occasion never arises than all the better. My wife used to travel and carried pepper spray, she never used it. I think of it kind of like that. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:05 PM
macawpower58 is on a distinguished road

There are IMO several things in the above post from Jottlebot that are wrong.

Firstly, children, even unruly one don't have teeth and a desire to chase/attack prey.

Secondly, no dog should run up barking at anyone! Even without a bird, I'd be totally in my right to defend myself if I was afraid. Where is the thought that a bad dog is due to a bad owner?

Now I do understand accidents can happen even to the best of owners. But they should be few and far between.

Many dogs have been mauled by other dogs running up at them. What chance does a parrot on my hand have? A leaping, excited dog is going to grab at my bird, and if he succeeded, he'd be dead or badly injured.

So yes, my defense is IMO again, 100% allowed.

If my GSD ran up barking at someone off lead, their fear and striking out would only be my own fault.

I also think most of could read the dog's body language and gauge our reaction for it.

Last edited by macawpower58; 06-29-2020 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:17 PM
Supporting Member
Parrots:

It sounds like you’ve answered your own original question. Good luck to you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Macaws