Bird Walking

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There is a timeline to be understood here, as just getting 'protection' is far from enough. In the example you provided, unless you where 'at-the-ready' you would have likely not been able to 'stand-your-ground' position the 'protection,' halt the dog using it and maintain control of your Mac.

In addition, the size dog you had chase you was likely more interested than full out aggressive as a dog that size could easily follow you onto the hood of a car.

When you add a Parrot, you greatly increase the number of likely individuals and animals that wish to prey upon you and your Parrot. Where you live will great effect the size of wild life that perceive you and your Parrot as a meal. In North America, the list include: Lions, Bear, down to raccoon and from Eagles, Hawks, etc..

You need to greatly consider obtaining Defensive Training, so at the very least, you understand what dangers exist and basics regarding defending yourself and your Parrot. Just obtaining 'protection' does not assure you will know what and when you can legally use it, let alone how too.

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
There is probably a misconception as to what most people would think that this particular stun gun is/looks like. The term "gun" conjures up visions of a Glock when many, if not most of these devices are dual purpose flash lights or batons, or walking sticks. They are designed to be held in your hand while walking. In the US they are legal for sale in all but three states and require a permit on five others.

I wonder how effective they would be with a wild animal as where I live that is a concern more than dogs. I often drop my .410 in my pocket when I go out at night to water the dog.

Edit: Oh, and the don't shoot anything, they operate like a cattle prod.

Last edited:
OP
B

BirdieDad

Feb 2, 2020
There is a timeline to be understood here, as just getting 'protection' is far from enough. In the example you provided, unless you where 'at-the-ready' you would have likely not been able to 'stand-your-ground' position the 'protection,' halt the dog using it and maintain control of your Mac.

I definitely appreciate your help and thoughts but I must admit your comments made me and my friend chuckle:
1. I was in the military for almost 10 years, did pararescue training, and Muy Thai for 11 years; I feel comfortable defending myself.
2. The car is a tall truck, the dog would have had great difficulty climbing it and he did until the owner retrieved him
3. Defending yourself against a large dog is difficult. A trained large dog is almost impossible. However, walking with a stun baton at least gives you a chance. If you have never used one, they are like walking sticks and are always "ready" and sometimes the "pop" alone will make the dog think twice. Mace works well but usually ends up in the persons pocket and hard to get ready.

The reason I posted is because I wanted to know what other options exist, if people had found a better way to take their birds for walks or outside. I enjoy all animals and don't want a walk around the neighborhood to be "Mad Max and the Thunderdome". Several of the responders kind of shamed for bringing it up, and I second thought myself because I love animals and they were insinuating that I was over-blowing the situation. Now I have literally skinned my leg extensively and may have a small fracture in my toe. I just hope others learn from my experience, even if you feel I was the person in the wrong somehow. It is more data to consider.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I don't trust dogs. *Especially* someone else's dog/s. And I've been a dog person all my life and come from a major dog family. They may be domesticated, but they are still predators. Period.

Back when I lived with my mom we had a neighbor who had a little poodle mix and a big fat pit bull type dog. They would "accidentally run out for the first time ever omygosh I'm so sorry" just about every week. Went after other dogs, people, etc. One time I was out watering plants in the front yard when they got out. The poodle took a crap on our lawn which the owners never cleaned up, and the pit bull would have mauled me if I hadn't used the watering can against it and ran in the house. Where the dog remained on my porch trying to get me until I called animal control. The dog actually bit people all the time and several neighbors warned us about them when we moved in. They must have known someone because no consequences ever came. The dogs essentially lived outside in their backyard(with no shelter), which was illegal in that area, and they would constantly bark at us if we went in the back yard or were even on the first floor of the house with the windows open. The woman was a stay at home drunk, er mom. And she was VERY unpleasant. Several screaming matches... called us satanists who didn't have the right to free speech because my mom rented that place and didn't own it. Said her dogs had a right to bark all the time and I was just afraid of pit bulls and a racist.

After the pit bull ran me in the house and held me hostage I would only go outside with a very large kitchen knife or a cannister of bear mace my then boyfriend(now husband) bought for me.

I LOVE dogs, but because I understand them so well, I do. Not. Trust. Them. I bear many scars from being bitten, I do not fear them. I do not trust them tho. They are wolves that we have bred to be ok with wearing sweaters and eating biscuits. Every now and again they show us that they are in fact still very much wolf under it all. I love my dogs like family, but they are predators.

Nowadays in the wilderness we carry guns. Stray dogs here too, but also coyotes, bears etc which are more of a threat to people usually. Stray dogs more are a threat to our livestock

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for your service of our Country and welcome to the small number of individuals that like us have severed with Honor.

Sad that you chuckled as that would imply that you believed that the statement was for you alone. In an open forum, there are more visitors than the OP and members that visit a Thread and as a result most responders target not only the OP, but the many others.

Walking sticks are a great tool, but commonly require both hands to maximize their effectiveness even with a stun baton, one is limited. Add, controlling a Parrot and one begins with a disadvantage.

You're training implies you have the knowledge, but choose not to use it. The dog should have never been an issue.

Regardless, your new awareness zone includes the sky when you are out with your Parrot.

OP
B

BirdieDad

Feb 2, 2020
Thank you for your service of our Country and welcome to the small number of individuals that like us have severed with Honor.

Sad that you chuckled as that would imply that you believed that the statement was for you alone. In an open forum, there are more visitors than the OP and members that visit a Thread and as a result most responders target not only the OP, but the many others.

Walking sticks are a great tool, but commonly require both hands to maximize their effectiveness even with a stun baton, one is limited. Add, controlling a Parrot and one begins with a disadvantage.

You're training implies you have the knowledge, but choose not to use it. The dog should have never been an issue.

Regardless, your new awareness zone includes the sky when you are out with your Parrot.
I thoroughly and respectfully disagree with you.

1. The reason is made my friend and I chuckle was because of how the post was worded. More specifically the use of pronouns, please see direct quotes from your posts:

“YOU would have likely not been able to 'stand-your-ground' position the 'protection,'”
“YOU need to greatly consider obtaining Defensive Training, so at the very least, YOU understand what dangers exist and basics regarding defending YOURSELF…”

This is why I chose to give brief explanation of my background.

2. Training, common sense or otherwise will tell you if you can get away from an attacking dog by placing a barrier between yourself and the dog, then that is your best option. If I did not have a barrier (i.e my truck) then the odds are increased in my favor if I possess a deterent (i.e stun baton). I have known “bad-ass” women that have defended off an attacker with mace or a stun gun in one hand and a toddler in the other. If you have no choice, then you have no choice.
3. Batons (police nightsticks, stun, keychain) are not typically held or used with two hands. Unless you are referring to using fighting staff. Having worked in PM&R, walking sticks are not typically trained to be held in both hands.
4. Not sure how else you would have suggested to handle the dog, I literally just walked in my front yard and had been there for not even 2 minutes.

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

First of all... Thank you for your service for the Country...

My dad was in the service that was why I am here... I believe he was in the Air Force. That is why I respect all military men/women for all my life.

English is not my primary language, it's my third.. so... forgive me on my bad grammar and all..

I am confused... if the dog is not have the leash on (or even has one on) and ran up to you, was that the owner fault and you can report it right??? I don't have dog so I don't know.

I don't think any dog can go against you, maybe not even the K-9 that trained by the Officers.

I will not happy if I can't walk with my bird freely... and you should walk freely with your baby macaw out there too.

Up to date, I can't even train the harness for my bird.. failed too many times... :D :D

OP
B

BirdieDad

Feb 2, 2020

First of all... Thank you for your service for the Country...

My dad was in the service that was why I am here... I believe he was in the Air Force. That is why I respect all military men/women for all my life.

English is not my primary language, it's my third.. so... forgive me on my bad grammar and all..

I am confused... if the dog is not have the leash on (or even has one on) and ran up to you, was that the owner fault and you can report it right??? I don't have dog so I don't know.

I don't think any dog can go against you, maybe not even the K-9 that trained by the Officers.

I will not happy if I can't walk with my bird freely... and you should walk freely with your baby macaw out there too.

Up to date, I can't even train the harness for my bird.. failed too many times... :D :D

Thank you. I am still harness training, it seems like a long process!

Most Reactions