Parrot Forum Header Left  
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2018, 12:53 PM
Parrots:
Bliue & Hayat ( both rescue parakeets )
Amsterdam is on a distinguished road
Re: I want to rescue cockatiels in the future what do i need to know

Sponsored Links
Quote: Originally Posted by ChristaNL View Post
Oh...if you are into rescue, not breed... I would not even mix males and females.

The only species that really cannot do without a partner of the opposite sex are ferrets (afaik / since kids may read this -> google the reasons why yourself).
Apart from that most of the time you can get away by having same sexe-groups.

So apart form quarantine may just make big friendly non-fertilizing-each-other groups.
Otherwise you wil start with one pair and end up with a huge incestuous flock...

If you have limited recourses - adapt and make sure the group stays small.
so 2 aviaries al least
Thanks christa great advice
Old 09-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Parrots:
Bliue & Hayat ( both rescue parakeets )
Amsterdam is on a distinguished road
Re: I want to rescue cockatiels in the future what do i need to know

Quote: Originally Posted by noodles123 View Post
Also- you will need a better quarantine set-up and access to an avian vet (you need to get birds tested for deadly diseases before taking them near your other birds---I know you had to kind of "wing it" (no pun intended) with Hyaat, but it generally is dangerous to bring a potentially sick bird into your home with other birds (even if you keep them apart, some diseases are spread by airborne feather dust/dander etc). Again---I LOVE what you did for Hyaat, but if you are going to start doing it with other birds, you will need a pretty elaborate plan because it gets very risky for all birds involved (ex: if you handle a bird with something like PDD, they say you should even change your shirt before touching other birds). Without testing (and even with testing) it can be hard to detect this deadly illness---just looking at a bird won't necessarily tell you whether they are harboring contagious illness.

Man noodles your are so right i wish there was a vet nearby, i need to sort that out i geuss my plan looked so easy in my head hehe but i know its not that easy thank u all for the great advice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community > Species Specific > Cockatiels
Remove Ads