Thinking of our Australian members

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Hannah did I miss something or did you say you use *potties* for trot-pole holders? LOLOLOL! We used to make cavallettis out of kopper logs (treated pine poles) and bits of fencepost. We even made a trotting-race out of about twenty old pallets propped up with star posts. It never ceases to amaze me how inventive horse people are! :)

Potties! LOLOLOL! Heehee! *Such* a brilliant idea! :) :) :)

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I've just read that recently in Austarlia there are a lot of hail and not only...
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=90&v=cdonet-RGY4&feature=emb_title"]Australia's week of wild weather: bushfires, hail, dust storms and flash floods - YouTube[/ame]

In another thread I'm going to write about how its effects to wild parrots basing on an article which I've read

Edit: the mentioned thread link: http://www.parrotforums.com/general...-australian-wild-parrots-after-bushfires.htmlhttp://www.parrotforums.com/showthread.php?p=849436#post849436

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It's been pretty wild and woolly weather-wise alright, we've had flash flooding in Queensland, dust storms in New South Wales and hailstorms in Melbourne the likes of which they rarely see down there.

While the rain is certainly welcome there are still many places that are drought-affected and fires do continue to rage in Victoria and NSW. We have the tragic news that a C-130 Hercules water bombing aircraft crashed in NSW yesterday with the loss of all 3 of it's American crew. To all of our firefighters, wherever you are from, we cannot thank you enough for your selflessness and courage and we deeply mourn the loss of those brave souls who simply want to protect and serve our ravaged communities. This thing is not over yet.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
BIG benefit concert going on tonite raising (more!) funds for bushfire relief, lots of Aussie and international musical acts giving of their time and putting on some pretty awesome performances. Not sure if/when Alice Cooper’s contribution may be uploaded to see online but it’s worth looking for, he absolutely knocked it out of the park, God love him!!

We are SO not worthy :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
My daughter went to the Queen concert the night before and it was amazing! We're all currently glued to the telly watching the Fire Fight concert! :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
And how fantastic is NSW fire commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons? The man the nation needed when elected leaders were found to be wanting. I love that man!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Exactly! It wasn't just elected leaders, though! Even the opposition went into a flat spin looking for holes to poke in the government in the middle of a national crisis. It was awful from all sides of Oz politics! Shane Fitzsimmons stepped up and showed himself to be a true leader. He absolutely outshone every pollie in the country!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wonderful to see fund raiser concerts, etc lifting spirits and helping fund recovery efforts. Sadly, the Australian fire coverage has been somewhat muted by the coronavirus.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
The scariest part of all is that the most damage has been done to the 'insignificant' species like insects and reptiles. While the iconic ones (kangaroos and koalas) are important, it's the small food species that *might* have supported the larger ones in the aftermath. As it is, it's been a huge problem trying to keep what's left fed and watered. Its' going to be a a *really* long road! :(

MrLaurieKeats

Jan 4, 2019
Media
Albums
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Fang the cockatiel, Valentino the budgie (aka Fang’s wingman)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Warm greetings to our PF family. This is a brief visit to say thanks to all of you for your prayers when we were burnt out in the Fire Storm of Jan.4/20, when the Border fire in Victoria stormed into South Coast NSW. We are blessed to be able to start over with only my broken ribs as the most serious injury. I am well healed now. A huge thanks to my friend Terry57 for keeping you updated on our behalf. Love ya Terry.

LaManuka, please ask HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly forgiveness on our behalf because we have relocated to HRH State of Qld and had no time to ask her permission. :04::D.We are busy building our new home and spending much time gathering materials or on site building. Currently we are renting a small unit and hoping to be in our new home before Winter.

Bertie and Ellie have been amazing. We were officially evacuated Dec.31/19 and went from caravans, spare rooms, an evacuation centre, tent, and even sleeping in our vehicle until Feb.1/20. Bertie was living in his travel cage and Ellie was without her house (cage) the entire time. Hubby made her a perch for rest/sleep. Both were unsettled and needed heaps of contact time for reassurance. Both are doing very well and pretty much back to themselves now that we have had 5 whole weeks in one place.

I have lots of catching up to do with respect to what has been happening on the Forum. However, it will be another couple of months before I am able to make regular visits. Please stay well, stay safe, and take care of one another. Treasure every moment with your loved ones and fids…EVERY moment matters; once gone, that moment is lost forever.:red1::rainbow1::)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Welcome back Debbie and flock, it was a very pleasant surprise indeed to see you back on the Forums again after such a long absence! The lovely Terry kept us appraised of your whereabouts but I’m so sorry to hear about your broken ribs and hope you are well on the road to recovery. And welcome to the Sunshine State, even if it is raining today, Lord knows we need it! I’ve managed to persuade HRH to allow you and your flock to stay here in God’s Own Country and She will permit your visas to be granted retrospectively. Which part of Queensland are you calling home?

Terrific to have you back and we are looking forward to your regular contributions in the days and weeks to come :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Dearest Debbie, glad to know you are on the road to rebuilding and recovery from broken ribs. So pleased Ellie and Bertie are weathering the changes as best as possible. They will remain an inspiration as your new home slowly takes shape.

Looking forward to your regular participation - you've been missed!

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Welcome back Debbie and flock, it was a very pleasant surprise indeed to see you back on the Forums again after such a long absence! The lovely Terry kept us appraised of your whereabouts but I’m so sorry to hear about your broken ribs and hope you are well on the road to recovery. And welcome to the Sunshine State, even if it is raining today, Lord knows we need it! I’ve managed to persuade HRH to allow you and your flock to stay here in God’s Own Country and She will permit your visas to be granted retrospectively. Which part of Queensland are you calling home?

Terrific to have you back and we are looking forward to your regular contributions in the days and weeks to come :)

We humbly accept HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly's visas retrospectively. As well noted, sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness rather than permission :D.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Dearest Debbie, glad to know you are on the road to rebuilding and recovery from broken ribs. So pleased Ellie and Bertie are weathering the changes as best as possible. They will remain an inspiration as your new home slowly takes shape.

Looking forward to your regular participation - you've been missed!

Thank you Scott...missed you...met you in the Game's room for old times sake...With respect to inspiration from Ellie and Bertie, you bet...they will have an aviary on deck like Betrisher planned for her home (hope it went well Trish).

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Warm greetings to our PF family. This is a brief visit to say thanks to all of you for your prayers when we were burnt out in the Fire Storm of Jan.4/20, when the Border fire in Victoria stormed into South Coast NSW. We are blessed to be able to start over with only my broken ribs as the most serious injury. I am well healed now. A huge thanks to my friend Terry57 for keeping you updated on our behalf. Love ya Terry.

LaManuka, please ask HRH Crown Princess Lilly Pilly forgiveness on our behalf because we have relocated to HRH State of Qld and had no time to ask her permission. :04::D.We are busy building our new home and spending much time gathering materials or on site building. Currently we are renting a small unit and hoping to be in our new home before Winter.

Bertie and Ellie have been amazing. We were officially evacuated Dec.31/19 and went from caravans, spare rooms, an evacuation centre, tent, and even sleeping in our vehicle until Feb.1/20. Bertie was living in his travel cage and Ellie was without her house (cage) the entire time. Hubby made her a perch for rest/sleep. Both were unsettled and needed heaps of contact time for reassurance. Both are doing very well and pretty much back to themselves now that we have had 5 whole weeks in one place.

I have lots of catching up to do with respect to what has been happening on the Forum. However, it will be another couple of months before I am able to make regular visits. Please stay well, stay safe, and take care of one another. Treasure every moment with your loved ones and fids…EVERY moment matters; once gone, that moment is lost forever.:red1::rainbow1::)

Debbie, I am so happy to see you!!! You have been missed, my Friend!
I'm so glad to hear an update, and am praying that your new home is ready before winter. Also happy to hear that your ribs are healed and that Bertie and Ellie are settled in and getting back to normal.
I was happy to pass along your updates, and am sending much love right back to you:)

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots

Debbie, I am so happy to see you!!! You have been missed, my Friend!
I'm so glad to hear an update, and am praying that your new home is ready before winter. Also happy to hear that your ribs are healed and that Bertie and Ellie are settled in and getting back to normal.
I was happy to pass along your updates, and am sending much love right back to you:)

Missed you as well lovely....just stepped in for a minute before we head out to our building site...will drop in like this when able.:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts