Play biting?

fijii

Jul 11, 2016
I have a dusky conure he's a year old. He talks a lot and loves to be around people. The problem Were having is he loves to play bite.. Sometimes it even hurts. He is so codependent. He will not play alone at all. He squawks over and over when he's in his cage. When he's out of his cage, he is always up someone's butt. If we put him on a perch he'll just fly to us.. I wish I knew how to help him be a little more independent.. Any advice on these issues?

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Id suggest more time in the cage. Do this gradually so he doesnt get too stressed. Birds need to learn its fun and not a bad thing being in their cage especially if there is toys and things to do. My Quaker wouldnt play with toys or anything because id have him out so much. I give him a little more time inside now and he is really independant and plays with toys more. There might be squarking for a while as your lil guy gets used to it but it will pass x

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I figure... if it hurts... it's not play! Its just plain biting.
Ya know, it's all a matter of what you're willing to put up with. For consistent training, I believe you'll have to clip his wings. I don't like to clip the Rb, so I don't, and as a consequence, he realloy terrorizes the household, and requires constant vigilance. But that's what I get for my decision.
As for the squawking and being so demanding... it won't stop until you make it stop, by ignoring it until it stops, not rewarding it. And a lot of that is just pure parrot. He'll need cage time, too, to get used to it. He'll have to learn. Give parrots an inch and they'll take a mile. It's what they do! They're difficult pets, often, aren't they. Ya gotta love 'em!

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Mine play bites too but really gently. The odd time he used get excited and bite harder i would put my finger on his beak with very slight pressure and say no in a firmer voice every time he did it. He learned it was bad and never bites hard now. Try it for a week and if it doesnt work then discourage play biting all together as Conures are known for being a bit nippy x

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I think we're posting at the same time, Carl!
Great minds, etc., etc.

Most Reactions