coconut oil (or other suggestions?)

mrs.pants

Oct 23, 2018
Media
new york
Parrots
Sgt. Nanners - white belly caique
so since sgt. nanners has started to preen us we obs have to ditch all the hair-care products so my hair has once again returned to an unruly poof (which nanners seems to really dig :p).

since i have to be conscious about birbpreening one of my friends suggested that i should use coconut oil? figured i'd ask to see if anyone else here with unruly frizz had any suggestions for what i could use?

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
If you don't mind coconut oil in your hair, then go ahead. Some members actually use coconut oil to entice their birds to eat new foods. So it might actually mean your little guy might want to preen you more.

Not sure I have any alternatives off the top of my head, but will update if I think of something else.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Any natural (coldpressed) oils that keep moisture in and stop your hair from getting really, really dry might work (coconutoil can be tricky - and smelly/ the people of old used sweet almondoil a lot- at least that is a liquid at roomtemperature so easier to apply)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
so since sgt. nanners has started to preen us we obs have to ditch all the hair-care products so my hair has once again returned to an unruly poof (which nanners seems to really dig :p).

since i have to be conscious about birbpreening one of my friends suggested that i should use coconut oil? figured i'd ask to see if anyone else here with unruly frizz had any suggestions for what i could use?

I have nothing to suggest that would help. But, unless you have naturally very dry hair. It is very possible that your Shampoo may be one of the sources that is either causing or aiding to your frizz problem. Look for the term Salt or like words used to hide the use of the Salt as part of what they are using to formulate your Shampoo. Look for product with little to no salt added.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Coconut Oil would be fine bird-wise, but it could also make your hair really greasy...I don't know where you live, but if you have access to a grocery store that has a "Natural Living" department or whatever you want to call it, that's where I would look...I live in PA so we have a Wegman's grocery store here (throughout the entire Northeast US, based out of upstate NY), and they have a HUGE section in all of their stores that has all departments squeezed into one little area, such as food, medical, vitamin/supplements, cleaning, and then a huge double-aisle that is all "Personal Hygiene" products, including soaps, lotions, shampoos and conditioners, hair-care products, deodorants, shaving products, makeup, etc. Everything sold in this section, from the food to the cleaners to the hair-care products is All-Natural and most of it is also Organic, and most of the products are made from plants, earth/clay, etc. And it's also all "unscented" except for any natural scents that come from the natural ingredients...I buy a lot of different soaps their, everything from anti-bacterial hand soap to bars of soap to bathe with, as well as lotions, and then pretty much all of my cleaners. And there are a ton of hair-care products, from shampoo and conditioner to gel, mousse, paste/wax, hair spray, etc. So I guarantee you could find something there to replace each of your regular hair-care products, no trouble at all. And everything that I've ever purchased works great...I'm sure that there are other grocery stores that have the same type of "All-Natural Living" sections, maybe WholeFoods or Harris Teeter, or similar stores...Wegman's is awesome for that kind of thing...

***The only thing that you need to watch-out for is that if you do find a place that sells all-natural hair-care products, soaps, lotions, etc. that whatever you buy does not have any AVOCADO OIL as an ingredient! It's used in a lot of natural hair-care products, lotions, soaps, and even in a lot of the natural, plant-based cleaning products...and as we all know Avocado is toxic to birds...

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure

I was just googling bc I have hair product in my hair and he just nipped me. Every time it freaks me out 😖 trying to keep my hair away from him doesn’t feel like enough sometimes.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I was just googling bc I have hair product in my hair and he just nipped me. Every time it freaks me out 😖 trying to keep my hair away from him doesn’t feel like enough sometimes.
Can you check the ingredients of the hair product? I really think that just a nip of it won't hurt him.

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Can you check the ingredients of the hair product? I really think that just a nip of it won't hurt him.
Water (Aqua), Isobutane, Propane, Polyquaternium-4, Polyquaternium-11, Fragrance (Parfum), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Butane, Steareth-2, DMDM Hydantoin, Dimethicone, Collagen Amino Acids, Amodimethicone, PEG-7 Propylheptyl Ether, Cetrimonium Chloride.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have no idea what most of those are, but I'm sure that some aren't good for him. If it were my bird, I would call my vet and see what they think. It may require an appt., but better safe than sorry. I still think that just a nip wouldn't be enough to hurt him, but I'm just a person on the internet giving my opinion. Your vet is your best bet:)

DeSoto

Aug 15, 2021
Parrots
Conure
I have no idea what most of those are, but I'm sure that some aren't good for him. If it were my bird, I would call my vet and see what they think. It may require an appt., but better safe than sorry. I still think that just a nip wouldn't be enough to hurt him, but I'm just a person on the internet giving my opinion. Your vet is your best bet:)
Isobutane and Propane are gases it was an aerosol so they wouldn’t be in my hair. He’s acting fine as soon as I felt his beak I jerked away

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Isobutane and Propane are gases it was an aerosol so they wouldn’t be in my hair. He’s acting fine as soon as I felt his beak I jerked away
Great to hear!

Most Reactions

Latest posts