1 month after releasing his tail feathers at the vet...

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Here's my little chicken 1 month after releasing all his tail feathers in a valiant attempt to escape the vet’s evil clutches. It’s amazing how he had a stub butt for a good 2-3 weeks, then POOF! Feathers all of a sudden! They are half the normal length currently but well on the way. The most sensitive week was the 2nd and third week when they were all just pin feathers and could potentially get damaged. I noticed some of his new tail feathers are a vibrant blue but with white tips. Some of his wing feathers have been this way but not the tail. I was worried that this was a sign of nutritional deficiency. From asking and reading around, it seems to be normal with some suns and could mean a bit of pied DNA. Any thoughts on this?

This is a few days after the Big Release:

1 week and a half later - he's not looking too hot here :

4 to 5 weeks later:

And here's a few more random pictures from the past couple of months:

The wild bird feeder is an early Hatch Day gift from Chris (Boomer turns 2 this Thursday!) . It's for the birds outside so Boomer can watch them from his cage when I'm out to work. He seems to think it's his toy though! Hope you enjoyed the photos and thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
wow, his feathers are coming back in beautifully! And your room is gorgeous! Boomer must be in heaven in there:)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Lol I see he's got his GF mrs. Moose! He looks really good, and your plant collection looks amazing. Every time I see it it's bigger

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
He is looking pretty good. Very nice photos of him. He is a photogenic bird.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Beautiful plant area!!!

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
The plant area does seem to be growing every month. I really need to stop adding to it because watering the plants is starting to take longer and longer each time haha! Thank you for the nice comments! Glad you guys enjoyed the photos.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
LoL.....I'm trying to cut my plants back as well cause it takes me an hour just to water all the plants....

Yay, the tail feathers is coming in nicely. No more naked booty chicken. ;)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
The plant area does seem to be growing every month. I really need to stop adding to it because watering the plants is starting to take longer and longer each time haha! Thank you for the nice comments! Glad you guys enjoyed the photos.

But it's so worth it :)

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Lol I see he's got his GF mrs. Moose!

He has a love-hate relationship with Mrs. Moose. Especially when she disturbs him in the middle of a serious preen!

And yes, the plant area is so worth it though. Not just for Boomer but for me too. I feel cozy when I am in that room.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
LoL.....I'm trying to cut my plants back as well cause it takes me an hour just to water all the plants....

Yay, the tail feathers is coming in nicely. No more naked booty chicken. ;)

It doesn't take me quiet that long. You must have so many plants :O I miss naked booty chicken!

Superbird

Jun 22, 2013
Parrots
Kiku my Black Cap Conure
I love the one where he is peeking out of your sleeve!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Great photos. Boomer looks beautiful, as always.

Was he bobbing for apples? The look like the r floating in water?
Love the one where Boomer is peeking out of your sleeve.

Thanks for the pictorial update BB.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
LOVED all the pictures- Boomer is so handsome!! And all those plants!! I am inspired now! Thanks for sharing!

sofiaee

Jul 19, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC Oliver (October 2009), and a Cinnamon GCC Mia (August 2013)
That's awesome! And omg I love your bird room so much! Do you have a list of plants or something? Dang I'm jealous...

Does he actually climb on the plants and stuff? Thanks :3

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Thank you for the nice comments! Sofiaee, none of the plants have vertical branches so Boomer doesn't bother to terrorize them. He might chew on the tip of a leaf if it's right in front of his face (which I don't allow because poor plant) otherwise he is just content to perch amidst them. Here is a list of the plants in that corner:

1. Dracaena Marginata (2 tall ones and 2 smaller ones of a different variety. These are bird safe. It's supposedly easy to grow but mine never seem to be in the very best foliage as when I first took them home)

2. Money Plant (2 small ones, also bird safe. Supposedly difficult to grow but mine grows like weeds)

3. Succulents (3 very small ones. Bird safe but I keep them inaccessible because one looks thorny)

4. I'll post a picture of this next one because I forgot what they're called. Maybe someone can ID. It's the one with the yellow flower. I have 3 medium sized in a pot with yellow, purple and pink flowers. I love them, they feel so tropical and bird safe.

https://imageshack.com/i/5lpv49j

5. The hanging plants on the ceiling and window are plastic. Not sure if the plastic is bird safe but Boomer doesn't try to get near them because I made sure he had no way to perch close by.

Hope this helps and I am happy it has inspired some of you in small way. Post pics when you start! :D

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
He is pretty and I love your plants. I don't have a green thumb. I bet he has a lot of fun playing around them. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Most Reactions