1 week with us

wolf0994

Apr 10, 2012
North Pole, Alaska
Parrots
Kawie, 16 year old Congo African Grey
So here is an update on Kawie. It has been a week now yesterday that we have had him. Aside from his food struggles which I asked about in another thread I just started, he is settling in I think.

He now kisses me on command anytime I want it. He still shys away from my hand if it is empty but I can get him to touch my finger with is beak but if I move towards his feet or feathers he runs. He has talked abit more though I havent heard it. I have heard "Hello Kawie" as far as words, the rest is just sounds. But my daughter has heard him say Hello Kawie, Come over here, come here boy. And one of them was almost a runon sentence. So hopefully soon he will do it more.

We are babysitting a pineapple conure and GCC at the moment. The pineapple conure is very sweet, she steps up, snuggles, hangs out on your shoulder etc. It made me very jealous that she is so handleable. I wish so badly that I can train Kawie that way.

But good things are definately happening. As I said I can get my face as close as I want and he doesnt run at all now. My hands can get about 8 inches away or so, but I still havent touched him. I find myself thinking about him all the time. He doesnt play with any of the toys we got him. The only thing he will do is shred cardboard for fun.

We bought him some shelled peanuts as a once in a while treat as his former owner would do. That was cool to watch him grab and open up. I wonder if he can do pistachios too. As far as food this is what I have discovered thus far.

Loves:
Spaghetti
Steamed asparagus
toast
crackers
peanut butter
shelled peanuts

Hates:
Bananas
Oranges
Pellets
rice-a-roni

Anyway just an update. I love him already! Feel free to leave any advice as it would be most welcome.

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Aw, I love a grey :) Makes me nostalgic for my childhood. Our grey would do anything for a cheerio ;)

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
Our grey doesnt touch his toys either. But give him a toilet paper roll and hes in heaven. Hes definitely not much of a snuggler either, but he looooves his scratches. It sounds like youre making really good,progress, i had read it can take months or years for greys to warm up to new people and a new home.

I learned our cag talks a lot when he thinks no one is around. I left the room today when my boyfriend left for work, he must have thought he was alone so he started talking away...then i heard him say "mamas baby" (which he's said before) followed by i love you mommy which he's never said before that I've heard. I wanted to cry, it was awesome! Try leaving the room and keeping quiet, or setting up a recorder when you leave the house, i think you'll be surprised. :)

Oh! Pistachios, walnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, cantaloupe, snow peas and nutri berries are our cags favorite treats. And recently added to the list is lasagna, lol.

Last edited:

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
Glad to hear he's settling in well:)

Ronald

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2012
Deltona, FL
Parrots
MoJo (B&G Macaw) Papito (Congo African Grey) Puffers (Quaker) Cricket (Rainbow Lorikeet) Freckles (Cockatiel)
Be careful labeling a food as love or hate for a grey. I tried to do the same thing but found out it was pointless. One day Papito doesn't like snap peas and the next day he will eat em like candy. If he has never tried a particular food before try cutting it open and eating with him. The only way to explain it is their food preferences change day by day just like ours do.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
asperagus?? i am sure i saw that in the no-no food list for our birds

never say never with food! as nut will eat most things when time and conditions are right, conditions being there is nothing else!

be patiance lol a confidant relationship takes time and the conure might be in honeymoon mode lol

congrats on progress

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
asperagus?? i am sure i saw that in the no-no food list for our birds

I read up on it awhile ago. You get conflicting answers, some sites say its okay, some don't. Some give it to their birds and other don't. I think the reason people assume its safe is because you cant see the side effects.

Asparagus- can cause severe stomach upset in parrots due to the fact it contains Asparagine and is a dieuretic.

OP
wolf0994

wolf0994

Apr 10, 2012
North Pole, Alaska
Parrots
Kawie, 16 year old Congo African Grey
I was unaware of the side effects of that. He does love it but I will be more wary of that. I knew Avacado was a no no, but other than that, and caffeine, chocolate of course. i will have to look for the list.

Most Reactions