13 week old COG for my daughter,( well, mostly.lol )

Deb1978

Apr 23, 2013
Hi all!
So my daughter decided that for her 16th birthday, she wanted a parrot. She chose the cog, because it is so smart. He arrived on the plane last night and was understandably shaken. He did eat really well all last night and is eating and drinking well today. I am taking him to the vet for an intial checkup tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should ask? Really happy that I found this forum!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If the vet is not an avian certified vet, I might be inclined to ask his experience with avian patients and specifically African greys.....

Many of us are intimidated by doctors and veterinarians, forgetting that these people are our really employes...albeit by an implied contract when they agree to treat us and/or our pets/animals.....if the vet is experienced with avian patients on a regular basis, I doubt I'd have any initial questions.....

Good luck.....

OP
Deb1978

Deb1978

Apr 23, 2013
We are very lucky here. Our university campus has a special avian clinic. They are supposed to be really well trained so we'll see tomorrow morning!

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Welcome to the forum & a big congrats to your daughter for an excellent choice for her birthday gift!:). Hope everything checks out in fine shape at the vets visit.

I will be picking up my GW girl Monday. She flies in & I am very anxious about that. None of my other parrots had to fly in, so it is going to be a first for me & her.:(

Good luck & I bet your daughter will have many happy years with her new friend. I look forward to photos when your grey settles in.:D

OP
Deb1978

Deb1978

Apr 23, 2013
Loki got the ok from the vet! He is healthy and happy. He had never had a shower before, just baths, so we put him in the shower. He seemed to really like it. He is very sweet, likes to be stroked on his face and beak, and squawks when we leave the room. He wouldn't and won't step up onto our finger but now he will step up onto a perch we hold. He tries to make different noises to get us to come to him,lol. We're all in love with this little guy!

Thehattress

May 25, 2013
Parrots
white capped pionus
I would avoid going to him when he squawks if you do. at least try to discourage it, because that can lead to a screaming problem down the road. He could associate his screaming with your coming to pay attention to him, instead, try to encourage a whistle. congratulations!! :)

Most Reactions