Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Mark I was doing some nail biting reading that, then I realized you're still here :).

Larry's Dead Birds lol, what a name for a fried chicken place. Next time I'm in HB and near Beach and Adams I'll see if it's still there!

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mark I was doing some nail biting reading that, then I realized you're still here :).

Larry's Dead Birds lol, what a name for a fried chicken place. Next time I'm in HB and near Beach and Adams I'll see if it's still there!

It was the local nickname for the place... It's just plain old LARRY'S.

It's right next door to Hilltop Liquors... which was owned by Joe Irvine... (WHAT A GREAT HUMAN BEING HE WAS!)

We used to refer to it as Dead Birds... I subsisted on Larry's Dead Birds... whenever I didn't feel like cooking...

It's funny cuz there is no Larry. It's owned by a Korean family, or at least it was in the 80's... We ate there all the time, and we used to torment the poor guy.

Call up, "Is Larry there?"
"No, no Larry."
Pause for dramatic effect. "But isn't this Larry's?"
"This Larrys, but no Larry here."
"Well, what time do you expect Larry back?!"
"I told you NO LARRY HERE!"

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Lol, Okay makes sense! Now that I think about it, there would be no food business called "dead birds" of course! :eek:.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, did I ever tell you about our Friday the 13th "unlucky day" tempt fate and do something especially stupid, skydiving tradition?! :Okay... So here's the story. It's Friday the 13th... GASP! The unlukiest day of the year... COWER! Better not even get out of bed today. Bad things happen...

(Disclaimer: If anyone here is associated with the FAA - Please stop reading now! Oh, and nobody got it on video, so it didn't happen. And it was logged as a normal every day Hop and Pop. So you can't prove a thing. And I'm not naming the drop zone...)

So the big plane is reserved for high altitude jumps... and we reserve the Cessna Cardinal, and persuade another pilot to take us up for some "stupid fun.

"Hi, I'm from the FAA and here to help you!" Worst aviation pun, and I'd never seek a job with them!

Ugh, a Cardinal is probably the least forgiving of the high-wing Cessnas! You could stuff almost anything in a C-182 and it would fly.

Like I said said on the other decade thread, you are a survivor!! ;)

The old joke about the 182 we used for skydiving was, do you need me to get out and push?! THOSE THINGS ARE THE SLOWEST RIDE TO ALTITUDE GOING...

Yeah, the Cardinal. The perfect plane to tempt fate in...

The Cardinal they used for Skydiving had a modified STOL wing kit on it. Otherwise, it was too squirrel-ey for skydiving. Low speed handling wasn't the best, especially with added wind resistance, and a load that was continuously shifting on you...

It actually had a better useful load than a 182 with the modified wing. We actually stuffed seven people (including the pilot) into a stripped down 177 with a STOL kit on it, and it friggin flew!

Yeah, ummm... the FAA would definitely be inspecting the books at that point.

For those of you who don't know, a Cessna Cardinal is essentially the size of a skyhawk... Granted this one had no seats which gave you more room, and all the non essential equipment had been stripped to save weight, but you are talking about a TINY airplane. (It wasn't going off airport. It went up, the door opened, and then it landed again.)

Last edited:
OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Lol, Okay makes sense! Now that I think about it, there would be no food business called "dead birds" of course! :eek:.

I don't know. There's a ROADKILL CAFE... YOU KILL IT, WE GRILL IT...

The Roadkill Cafe

WE SERVE ONLY THE FINEST QUALITY MEATS, MARINATED IN TIRE RUBBER...

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Hilltop and Larry's were at Beach and Indianapolis...

Hilltop Liquors HAS TO still be there... it's an HB institution. The entire town ended up in there at some point or another during the day... it was "the" HB local hangout.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
OMG, I can't believe anyone hasn't asked yet. MARK...knock knock knock!!! We are in DIRE need of some pictures of you and your hard muscles!!! Pretty pretty please, with Mark on top? (You know how to forward the pics!) :D

AND, if you ever get to my neck of the woods (either before or after we move), we absolutely MUST get together, promise??? And no, you best not tell me that won't happen. >This< girl never takes 'no' for an answer. :D

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Don't have any of those either... LOST ALL MY OLD PICS WHEN THE GARAGE FLOODED... Kinda glad those are gone actually. They're kind of embarrassing now. I'm on stage oiled up, in less than my underwear...

Oh, and in addition to the short hair with a braided tail, I had a handlebar mustache...

But at some point, I pretty much didn't want any reminders of those days... I even tossed my "too cool" plastic second place trophy when I moved from Cali to Texas.

I never actually wanted to compete, I was training primarily for ego purposes, frankly. When I was in that kind of shape, I could run circles around people.

I got pushed into doing the show (by a girlfriend, of course)... then almost won... And the irony of it is that the guy who won was a training partner, someone I PUSHED into doing the show, because I didn't want to embarrass myself alone...

I coulda had the "too cool" plastic trophy with the number 1 on it, instead of the number 2.

That contest actually burned me out on training. I took a month off after the show. (That turned into about 29 years off... and counting.) IN MY BEST HANZ & FRANZ: "LETS FACE IT YOU'RE CHUST A FLABBY LOOZER!"

I'M A GIRLYMAN... I'M SO ASHAMED!

Last edited:

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
I have to go back and read all the responses so far.

The 80's....oh how I miss them! For me the 80's were...my first kiss (with him today) my first big concert Def Leppard Hysteria tour...(attended with my first kiss) Bon Jovi slippery when wet concert with my best girl friends.

Oh and Michael Jackson was coming to town...Thriller tour, he had to cancel our towns show because he got sick!

What else...ummm....oh goodness planning slumber parties with my bestie on Friday the 13th and renting all the Friday the 13th movies. Back to the Future, Star wars, Full House...John Stamos was a "babe". Hahahaha! Valley Talk...like...oh my god, totally! Everything cool was...RAD....and school dances were full of break dancers.

My first job, (bussing tables at a local restaurant,) drivers license, first car (1978 mustang Ghia)

I closed out some of the best years of my life when I graduated in 1989.

For me the 80's are some of my favorite memories to revisit.:)

Off to read all the previous comments!

Toni

Most Reactions