2 Months Old IRN Likes to Chew my Hand

Drlanik

Jun 15, 2016
Hello all,

I got myself a IRN last friday. We are together for six days know.
He or she is not afraid of me or other people, the bird is very calm, relax i think.
When i get home from and enter the room it looks excited, runs in cage and wants to come out.
I am freely handling it and feed it with my hand.
So what i want to explain here the bird looks completely relaxed, no sign of fear, no stress, no scream, no attacking me or my hands.
But when it is out of the cage, always wants to come to my head, my shoulder, my hand and when it comes to my hand it heavyly and stongly chews my flesh but not attacking.
It hurts really bad sometimes bleeding.
I dont want to give it back to breeder but for it bites i am thinking of changing it with a more young one.
What should i do, does it give up this behaviour in time ? Should i change it with an other bird ?

Attachments

• fe01e4b5-efcf-4731-9424-303bf529dfec.jpg
    fe01e4b5-efcf-4731-9424-303bf529dfec.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 27

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

First! 6 days is such a short amount of time! The bird appears to be young anyways judging by it’s dark eyes.

So the bird is biting you when you offer it your hand?

And please, don’t swap this bird out! Getting a younger bird doesn’t guarantee no behavioral problems.

I can’t tell from the picture but does he have toys to destroy? That way, s/he’s taking out some of their energy on chewing toys rather than your skin.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Hello all,

I got myself a IRN last friday. We are together for six days know.
He or she is not afraid of me or other people, the bird is very calm, relax i think.
When i get home from and enter the room it looks excited, runs in cage and wants to come out.
I am freely handling it and feed it with my hand.
So what i want to explain here the bird looks completely relaxed, no sign of fear, no stress, no scream, no attacking me or my hands.
But when it is out of the cage, always wants to come to my head, my shoulder, my hand and when it comes to my hand it heavyly and stongly chews my flesh but not attacking.
It hurts really bad sometimes bleeding.
I dont want to give it back to breeder but for it bites i am thinking of changing it with a more young one.
What should i do, does it give up this behaviour in time ? Should i change it with an other bird ?
Most young birds are no different than a puppy or baby. They are exploring their world and part of how they do that is with their beak. I have a young IRN and when she starts to chew on me. I offer her a chew toy such as a small grapevine ball or new popsicle stick. I have to hold it for her as she isn't to the point of holding it on her own just yet, but it solves the problem.
Even if you went back and traded your bird for a different one, you are still going to have to put in the time and energy to train it. Parrots are no different than an other animal. You get back what you put into them.
I couldn't tell from your cage setup, but if you don't have toys for your bird please get some. These birds are so intelligent and just like with a human child their brain and bodies need the stimulation that comes from having multiple toys. All of mine have at least six toys in their cage at all times and I swap toys out and around on a monthly basis. Tia in her cage full of toys as an example.

Attachments

• TiaMaria.jpg
    TiaMaria.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 26

Most Reactions