Is it a male cockatiel or a female ?? I’m so confused…

Bluey

Mar 12, 2024
Media
Parrots
Cockatiels
Ring neck
it’s an albino as u can see , it doesn’t have any under wing markings so I’m really confused is it a male or a female :(

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpeg
    IMG_8461.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8470.jpeg
    IMG_8470.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 8

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
it’s an albino as u can see , it doesn’t have any under wing markings so I’m really confused is it a male or a female :(
The longest tail feathers hold the key here! All female cockatiels will retain the rippled/stippling effect of colour on their tail feathers, even lutinos and albinos. You might have to wait until s/he sheds one of those feathers, and it'll probably be so pale that you'll have to hold it up to the light to see it, but the ripples will be there if she's a male, and it'll be all solid colour if he's a rooster. I had a very pretty little lutino hen once and that's exactly how it was with her :)

OP
B

Bluey

Mar 12, 2024
Media
Parrots
Cockatiels
Ring neck
The longest tail feathers hold the key here! All female cockatiels will retain the rippled/stippling effect of colour on their tail feathers, even lutinos and albinos. You might have to wait until s/he sheds one of those feathers, and it'll probably be so pale that you'll have to hold it up to the light to see it, but the ripples will be there if she's a male, and it'll be all solid colour if he's a rooster. I had a very pretty little lutino hen once and that's exactly how it was with her :)

OP
B

Bluey

Mar 12, 2024
Media
Parrots
Cockatiels
Ring neck
U mean that if her tail has those marks she’ll be a female ? I think u made a mistake while typing as u typed 👀
but the ripples will be there if she's a male, and it'll be all solid colour if he's a rooster.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
U mean that if her tail has those marks she’ll be a female ? I think u made a mistake while typing as u typed 👀
Oh yes, sorry about that! Yes the rippling colour indicates a female. And it will be on the underside of the tail feathers too, not on the top. That'll teach me to type before I'm sufficiently caffeinated in the morning!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts