2 new GCC's and question re: bonding/caging

theceltichorse

Apr 7, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site. I am the brand new owner of two very, very cute GCC's, one normal color (sex unknown) and one pineapple (DNA male). They are both about 10 weeks old. They were both hand raised from about 2 weeks of age apparently.

Right now, I have them in a single cage as that is the way they were housed from where I got them. The young lady who had them got them from a breeder in Florida (she gave me their hatch certificates)- not sure how they are weaned already, but they do appear to be doing fine with regards to eating- are on pellets (Zupreem and Harrisons) as well as veggies (carrots, parsley, and broccoli) and fruit (apples and strawberries seem to be favs, bananas, and blackberries, going to try grapes soon) so far. I am introducing them to as many new foods as I can.

My question is in wanting to separate them to promote the bonding process with me. However, I am unable to separate them without keeping their cages in the same room because they are in quarantine right now. Currently they are in my bedroom on the upper floor of my house since my cockatiel and parakeets are on the middle floor. The pineapple accepts when I have the other out, the original throws a temper tantrum when I have the pineapple one out by himself!

Will putting them in separate cages, but in the same room, work? The little pineapple is much shyer than the original (haven't picked names yet!). The original little one will come out of the cage on his own but will not step up on me while inside. Once outside, I can usually get him to crawl onto me. The pineapple will eventually come out if the other one does, but I have to catch him in order to hold him. I am worried about doing things wrong!!!
eek.gif

If in separate cages, how quickly should I be pushing them etc.? Please help me as I am wanting to do things right... Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond!

Most Reactions

Latest posts