2 Year Macaw Plan?

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Beaker- 6 year old cockatiel
Leonardo da Birdie- 11 year old cockatiel
So first, I wanted to say that I recognize that I am not capable of handing a macaw right now (I'm not financially ready, and my only experience is with my two tiels who were neglected by my dad for a few years, though they are improving. Plus I have a very sick hedgehog who is taking up a lot of my time right now). But, I want to begin preparing myself for being able to bring a macaw into my life in about 2-3 years so I know fully what I am getting into and have practice with handling them. It sounds like a cool idea right now, but I could totally change my mind if I don't feel up to it, or if 2 years isn't a long enough time, I will put it off more. So, I have a few questions to make sure I am getting on the right track.

I am planning on volunteering at a local bird shelter that has macaws. Is there anything else I can do besides this to get hands on experience?

Stupid question: but do macaws tend to like taller people? I'm 5'3, and I've noticed that my tiels like landing on taller people, though they still like hanging out with me. Is there are similar reaction in larger parrots?

Are there macaw resources or people I can talk to when it comes closer to the time I am actively looking for a bird?

I want to get (probably adopt) another bird in about a yearish that is a little bit more challenging than a cockatiel. Do macaws do well in multi-bird households?

Also, any tips on macaws getting along with dogs? My boyfriend wants a dog eventually, and that may happen pre-macaw. So that's another thing I would rather know now rather than later.

Are there differences in macaw breed behavior? I like the more red-colored macaws because they look like phoenixes. But would a blue one be a little more friendly? I've heard that there is a difference.

Final question in edit: I normally am a big fan of adopting, but I have always had a dream of raising a parrot from babyhood, so I probably will get this macaw from a breeder, and in the future adopt any other birds I get. The exception would be if I fall in love with a macaw when I am looking and it picks me. But should I know of differences between adopting and raising now? Just so I can go in fully educated about the difference?

Basically, is there anything else I can do now to at least start getting prepared? I recognize they are giant, life-changing commitments with can-openers attached to their faces. Originally, I was thinking maybe I would get one in my 30s, but because I may begin working from home as a writer sooner, I might be able to bring one into my life earlier than I thought. No matter what, I don't want it to be an impulse decision and I want to be as prepared as I can be. :red::red::red:

Last edited:
OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
I also wanted to add that having the most talented talker isn't important to me. Having the companionship of a macaw is enough for me. I don't expect perfection or for one not to bite or be loud. I know birds are birds and will act like birds. I don't want an accessory. My only requirement is that it has a beautiful personality. I just really love parrots and think this will be the right decision for me when the time comes.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
If you haven't, start by reading 'multiple' times the first three Threads in the MAC Forums. Now scan the MAC Forum and read anything Threads and Posts by Birdman666.

Note: Yes, visit and work at local bird shelter for at least a solid three months. Once, you have done that, come back to the Parrot Forums. At that point, you will have very detailed questions and some really interesting stories to share!

There is nothing better than cleaning MAC cages, while they are in the cage, to get up front and personal with a MAC or two!

Please make sure that you read those first three Threads in the MAC Forum, BEFORE you go to the local bird shelter!!! They are high lighted in light blue!

Larger Parrots and their support system is costly! I would not recommend a transition Parrot.

The biggest danger you are faced with is having a MAC and you fall in love with each other! It can happen!

A middle age MAC could still out live you!

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
I'd support the adoption idea, simply because of their long lifespans and you won't have to worry so much about the bird-puberty. You already have a couple of adorable cockatiels, so I'm sure you understand what it's like to have a bird, especially ones that need help. Share the love! Birdman666 seems to have the best info on Macaws. :)

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
If you haven't, start by reading 'multiple' times the first three Threads in the MAC Forums. Now scan the MAC Forum and read anything Threads and Posts by Birdman666.

The biggest danger you are faced with is having a MAC and you fall in love with each other! It can happen!

What do you mean by falling in love as a danger? I may be taking that too seriously, but I just want to clarify.

I know the parrot outliving me could be a risk. I'll definitely put a plan B in place in case that does happen. The main reason I want one when I am younger (I'm 22 now) is so that I can potentially be there for most of its life in case outliving does happen.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
I'd support the adoption idea, simply because of their long lifespans and you won't have to worry so much about the bird-puberty. You already have a couple of adorable cockatiels, so I'm sure you understand what it's like to have a bird, especially ones that need help. Share the love! Birdman666 seems to have the best info on Macaws. :)

Thank you. :D Adoption is a huge consideration (especially if I do decide to get another bird in between after my hedgie goes. I love him, but after this health issue, 3 different exotic vets, and still not being able to do anything to help him, no more hedgehogs :(), and I've read a bit about the notorious bird puberty, so that is on my con list for going to a breeder. I'll have a much better idea of what I want to do in about a year. I'm not pressuring myself into one route or the other. I will frequent shelters when I am searching, and if I can't find anyone who really calls out to me, I may choose a breeder route.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

What do you mean by falling in love as a danger? I may be taking that too seriously, but I just want to clarify.

I know the parrot outliving me could be a risk. I'll definitely put a plan B in place in case that does happen. The main reason I want one when I am younger (I'm 22 now) is so that I can potentially be there for most of its life in case outliving does happen.

There is no danger in Loving! Its just you have a plan and Love never has a plan! So, what happens four months from now and there you two are all starry eyed and deeply in Love. Puff, there goes the Plan! i.e. the danger!

A Large healthy MAC can push 80+ years. Personally, I'm into re-homing an Adult Parrot.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well I will tell you that life with a well adjusted, socialized parrot is indeed a joy. Just yesterday our parrot, Satly has us all doubled over, laughing and he laughing right along with us. But parrots are a lot of work to tame, keep tame and well socialized, clean and healthy. Its a daily effort that is needed, every day. Our little yellow shoulder Amazon is as sweet and friendly a parrot as you will ever meet, and even he has his days. The beautiful personality that you seek comes with daily interaction with your bird. Good on ya for doing your homework. The local parrot rescue is a great idea.
Good luck.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
I will say that when I do look for a mac when I am ready, I will check the shelters first after hearing from everyone. Thank you. <3 The responses so far are very helpful.

Even if I fall in love with a mac now at the shelter, I won't bring it home. I've passed up countless kittens that I really wanted to bring home before, so I have the strength to admit that I can't care for one even if I deeply love it. Because sometimes love is knowing that you can't handle that pet right at the moment. As long as I can spend time with it sometimes, I will be happy even if it goes to another home. :) I'm really bad with needing to say more things and editing. But I waited for a hedgehog for about a year before getting Moyo. Most hedgehogs aren't snuggly, but then I have Moyo, who is a cuddle demon. I actually have no idea how to tame a hedgehog because he made it so easy and tried snuggling with me even on the car ride home from getting him. I do believe when I do find the right bird, it will be the right time. Even if I love another bird in the meantime, the bird I am meant to share my life with will come along.

Last edited:
OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
If I can convince my boyfriend to learn how to handle macaws with me, do you think he should come with me to the shelter? I talked to him about wanting a larger bird and learning how to handle them and he said that maybe me teaching him as I learn will help me learn, but since he is basically going to be the co-parent, maybe bringing him with me is not the worst idea? Mainly because I obviously would prefer the Mac to love me, but I want it to be willing to socialize with other people as well, so having someone else around who knows what they are doing would help immensely. I found some posts by Birdman about it, so I had that thought.

Last edited:

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I would definitely encourage him to volunteer with you. First off just so he'll know how to handle large birds and, secondly, because a lot of people are nervous at first around macaw beaks and experience is always good! It certainly can't hurt for him to work with large parrots if you're planning to get one.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
Ok I have tons of experience reading birdmans threads so this is right up my alley lol I was considering the exact same thing as you are right now(I didn't have the will power to wait and fell in love with an Amazon) I would recommend reading every one of birdmans posts I have and he is a very knowledgeable and funny guy also check out JerseyWendy's posts also and be sure to read sailboats replys to threads even when I was considering macaws I learned a lot about the commitment a large parrot takes especially because sailboat doesn't sugarcoat stuff which is super helpful. Second in my opinion the absolute best personality macaws are Greenwing macaws my other favorites are B&Gs and military's but I cannot recommend the Greenwings enough. Adopting is always good make sure that the bird picks you instead of the other way around. Really prepare yourself for the commitment that a macaw takes it is easy to say that you know how big a responsibility they are but you really have to be ready to have a 3 year old child for the rest of your life that will NEVER leave you alone and NEVER move out. All this being said macaws are one of my absolute favorite birds and it is awesome that you are taking time to learn and gain experience and I wish you the best.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Lol. I prefer advice non-sugarcoated because that will help me be a better parrot mom even if I don't get a macaw in the end. I have been reading through posts and they are all super helpful.

I actually have been looking at the Greenwings. So I may look in that direction.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
Lol. I prefer advice non-sugarcoated because that will help me be a better parrot mom even if I don't get a macaw in the end. I have been reading through posts and they are all super helpful.

I actually have been looking at the Greenwings. So I may look in that direction.

If you are looking for a breeder I know a perfect GW breeder who actually sells them pretty cheap but is A+ when it comes to raising and socializing large birds.
Other birds to look at are amazons(they have more fun) they are a little more difficult to live with because they know what they want but totally worth it, galah cockatoos (very very cool birds) and if you have tons of time Goffins cockatoos and mini macaws they are very cool birds that have all the personality of the macaws just in a smaller package. But big macaws in my opinion are absolutely amazing birds they just need a lot of stuff to destroy and lots of time out of their cages. I personally decided that I had the time and money for a GW but I didn't have enough space to let them fly around so I figured I would wait until I buy a larger house to add one to the flock. If I were you I would go to the rescues and really see if you would rather have a Big Mac or another bird. Before you go to the rescue read the Amazon sticky thread that describes Amazon body language some of that stuff applies to macaws as well but it's always good to know what the birds are trying to tell you. If you are Interested in the breeder let me know and I will pm you the name and number.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Might I suggest that you also start setting aside emergency money for future expenses? Vet care can really add up. In the last few days I've spent $230 on Charlotte. It should have been a lot more but the emergency vet didn't change me the normal exam fee, only charging for the new meds because my son and I did all of the handling and she didn't do a full physical exam, just looked at the wounds as I handled the bird and exposed the relevant parts, then my vet is charging me just the boarding boarding rate and not the full hospital rate. I was prepared to pay the full amounts, but my vet gives us breaks when he can on account of our large feathered family. Now my macaw is a rescue/rehab, so she is a bit more expensive medically than average, but you never know when disaster might strike. Based on my experience I wouldn't be comfortable without a $1000 emergency fund. Others might think a little lower, but I'd never want to be in a position where money gets in the way of caring for my birds.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Might I suggest that you also start setting aside emergency money for future expenses? Vet care can really add up. In the last few days I've spent $230 on Charlotte. It should have been a lot more but the emergency vet didn't change me the normal exam fee, only charging for the new meds because my son and I did all of the handling and she didn't do a full physical exam, just looked at the wounds as I handled the bird and exposed the relevant parts, then my vet is charging me just the boarding boarding rate and not the full hospital rate. I was prepared to pay the full amounts, but my vet gives us breaks when he can on account of our large feathered family. Now my macaw is a rescue/rehab, so she is a bit more expensive medically than average, but you never know when disaster might strike. Based on my experience I wouldn't be comfortable without a $1000 emergency fund. Others might think a little lower, but I'd never want to be in a position where money gets in the way of caring for my birds.

This is an AWESOME point, Beatrice! At least as human beings most of us have some sort of health insurance that will help pay bills if we have an emergency. But when pets have an emergency, well, most people have no insurance and there is usually at least one point in an animal's life when you end up paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars--and that is NOT including the regular, scheduled veterinary fees! I don't have a $1000 emergency fund mostly because I simply don't have the disposable income for it, but I do keep a $500 one just in case, along with making sure I have a credit card I can put more on if needed. Accidents happen, and it's important to have the funds!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)

This is an AWESOME point, Beatrice! At least as human beings most of us have some sort of health insurance that will help pay bills if we have an emergency. But when pets have an emergency, well, most people have no insurance and there is usually at least one point in an animal's life when you end up paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars--and that is NOT including the regular, scheduled veterinary fees! I don't have a $1000 emergency fund mostly because I simply don't have the disposable income for it, but I do keep a $500 one just in case, along with making sure I have a credit card I can put more on if needed. Accidents happen, and it's important to have the funds!

I like to have a lot of slush. $500 is probably sufficient for most people. That said, the OP is planning two years ahead. Stuffing $42 into a savings account every month for the next two years is all that's required to save that much. That's not too unmanageable for most people. And the assurance that the money is there should an emergency arise takes off quite a bit of stress.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
One of the main reasons I am waiting as long as I am is because I'm currently having issues pulling off vet bills for the pets I do have. I still have them covered. Just because I have 2 birds who were neglected and a hedgie that has a seemingly unresolvable GI Tract illness, it would be pure idiocy to bring another pet in right now. I could see me adopting a conure early next year, but I am still working with being fresh out of college. But saving up is a very good idea as well, and I will definitely start stowing away.

Also, CDavis, you mentioned like...all of the parrots I would consider adopting. XD Galahs are beautiful. I personally do not have any desire for an Amazon, though I could see that changing too. I haven't exactly met one. XD I'm pretty willing to change what type of bird I eventually get if I am picked by another bird. I just fell for macs. :)

Last edited:

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Care Credit Cards are my friend. Credit Card for vet visits! Pay that sucker off and I have 2,500 of emergency line I can draw from. Also pays for doctors visits for hoomans as well. (I got the card initially for my root canal >A< )

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts