Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I agree completely with Wendy. I love my birds completely and equally, the ones I can hold and love on, and the ones who prefer not to be touched. I did not get my beloved birds for what they can do for me, I got them to be able to do for them, and give them a loving, caring home.
I agree that babies need homes as well, but rescues will always hold a special place in my heart, though rescue birds are not for everyone.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I consider Zilla a rescue. She came to me sight unseen, I had no idea if I would be able to touch her, if she would rip my face off, hate me, love me, or anything about her really, except she had feathers and needed a good home.

I was even told she was a cockatoo, but when she got here I knew cockatoos aren't little green birds!

She has been AMAZING! She's never hurt me, though she does "bluff" a lot.

She is feeling better with the love and meds, and is showing me how much she appreciates the love and care every day.

I can touch/pet her almost everywhere now that she trusts me. Her favorite place is on my shoulder doing whatever I am doing (even if I am being boring and working in my office)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
When we adopted Jackie I had no idea if I was ever going to be able to hold him- he was just downright mean....but that didn't matter to me. Being in my home and being loved no matter what, was better than his previous situation.

He became my best friend!!

My budgies are not hand-tame...but that doesn't mean I love them any less. I still find great joy in taking care of them, spoiling them, watching them do budgie things, etc.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Since this thread has been running a few days now, I just have to ask, has the OP decided to take in the zon or have you not decided yet? Just curious if we have a new BFA owner on the forum (theres quite a lot of us BFA fans;)).

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Since this thread has been running a few days now, I just have to ask, has the OP decided to take in the zon or have you not decided yet? Just curious if we have a new BFA owner on the forum (theres quite a lot of us BFA fans;)).

Kiwi, I think he said in a previous post he was going to go meet the bird on Dec. 1st. and would make his decision at that time. :confused: If I remember right???

Bartleby

Apr 13, 2014
Parrots
Blue-fronted Amazon & Blue-throated Macaw
This is my take on it.

If you are going to take the time to take in a bird who may very well be with you for many years then just get a bird you know will not have issues or get a baby bird.

It is not worth it to waste your time with a bird who may never be tame.

This may not come across right to everyone and may come across as selfish here but our lives as humans are short and precious and if we are going to take in a companion animal we might as well have the best we can.

I realized this when I wrote that my blue front amazon wanted too much head petting. Many people wrote that they wished they had that problem and their amazon wouldn't even let them pet their head.

I always think about that and the fact that many people have amazons who they can't even trust to shoulder the bird. They are missing so much in my opinion as it is very nice to shoulder my amazon while she sits on my shoulder for hours.

Why would you want to buy a amazon where there is a good chance you may never do this with?

I don't know, that is just my way of thinking.

I do have to wonder what will happen when/if your snuggly, shoulder bird matures into a hands off roommate? There's no way to know if that cute and cuddly baby will stay that way into adulthood or if, as happens with MANY babies, as they mature they will prefer more distance. Sometimes they stay that way permanently, sometimes it is a short lived adjustment period and then they go back to being cuddly, sometimes it is just a seasonal thing. But it happens AND it happens often enough that every owner should know that this drastic relationship change is a possibility.

So, if your bird grows up and prefers a more dignified mode of interaction are you going to be okay with that? Or is this another mature Zon who will wind up evicted from their home simply because they grew out of the cuddly baby stage and didn't live up to their owner's expectations?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I would disagree with a lot of that statement. With the proper socialization 99% of babies wouldn't be a one person bird. The key is proper socialization. Something most of us don't learn until after the fact.

OP
CFellows

CFellows

Nov 12, 2014
Paisley, Oregon
Parrots
5 year old, Male Sun Conure named Sunny & 20+ year old, Male Blue Front Amazon named Sammy
Wow! You guys have gone crazy while I was busy with family for the holliday. I am surprised to see all the chatter. I am going to go meet Sammy, the amazon, on the second and I am fairly sure he will be coming home with me. I will keep you informed on what happens, and thank you all so much for your input. It has really helped me out :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
bluefrontowner- I think the above comment about you 'evicting' your bird if he ever changed was rather harsh. Yes, that does happen, but typically it's idiots who buy birds with no clue how to care for them, not so much people who are well researched and understand puberty, hormones ect (which I assume you do). There are no guarantees with ANY bird, regardless what age you get it, but when you've had the bird since it was young and know it's potential, that can be a great encouragement to work through the 'difficult' years with patience and dedication. Much more so than a rescue bird you brought home yesterday who currently wants nothing more than to amputate each and everyone of your fingers. Some people find great joy in taking in birds 'like that' and helping them, other do not (which is totally understandable). I am sure you know all about zons and their hormones, so I am sure IF that happens you will be understanding and still love your bird:) And thats saying it does happen. My moms 43 y/o green cheek amazon doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He will let you hold him like a baby, pet him, kiss him, cuddle him, he doesn't care! He's never bitten anyone either. He's just a laid back guy. Yours may be too (though I wouldn't count on that with a BFA). You may have a VASTLY differing opinion than me about the potential of rescues, but that doesn't mean you would abandon your bird.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
This is my take on it.

If you are going to take the time to take in a bird who may very well be with you for many years then just get a bird you know will not have issues or get a baby bird.

This may not come across right to everyone and may come across as selfish here but our lives as humans are short and precious and if we are going to take in a companion animal we might as well have the best we can.

I realized this when I wrote that my blue front amazon wanted too much head petting. Many people wrote that they wished they had that problem and their amazon wouldn't even let them pet their head.

I always think about that and the fact that many people have amazons who they can't even trust to shoulder the bird. They are missing so much in my opinion as it is very nice to shoulder my amazon while she sits on my shoulder for hours.

Why would you want to buy a amazon where there is a good chance you may never do this with?

I do have to wonder what will happen when/if your snuggly, shoulder bird matures into a hands off roommate? There's no way to know if that cute and cuddly baby will stay that way into adulthood or if, as happens with MANY babies, as they mature they will prefer more distance. Sometimes they stay that way permanently, sometimes it is a short lived adjustment period and then they go back to being cuddly, sometimes it is just a seasonal thing. But it happens AND it happens often enough that every owner should know that this drastic relationship change is a possibility.

So, if your bird grows up and prefers a more dignified mode of interaction are you going to be okay with that? Or is this another mature Zon who will wind up evicted from their home simply because they grew out of the cuddly baby stage and didn't live up to their owner's expectations?

I didn't chime in before because I don't own an Amazon, but it doesn't matter with what I'm going to say... I see and can agree with BOTH of your points here BlueFrontOwner and Bartleby.

I will admit I may be of an 'unusual' mind set here for a long term bird owner, but 'personally', I do not want the challenge of having to rehab or take the time and steps to try and tame a feral wild animal. Also, as far as taming goes... my handfeds who came to me as babies are also a bit of work to "shape" and guide their personalities, but that amount of 'challenge' works for me. Taming a wild animal or dealing with other severe challenges in some rescues is a whole other story and does not appeal to me. I do have a heart, and understand the concept of rescuing an animal in need. However, I've never done it. I'm glad there are many others to fulfill that role. Besides my first parrot who was picked for me, I've always had my mind set on certain species that I've wanted. Is that so wrong of me to think that way? Different I admit, but I hope not viewed as wrong! I know, I have a very unpopular viewpoint for an experienced bird person :(.

BlueFrontOwner never said they'd rehome if a bird didn't quite live up to their expectations. I believe they were just expressing their ideal situation. I've had several birds before shipped to me upon weaning, sight unseen (except for pictures). For an example, how about Raven my Pionus... I LOVE him. If you're familiar with my posts you know I do. However, though I think he's grown to like me most of the time, he's not what you'd call crazy about me. When he met me as his new owner, I bet he was disappointed lol! Though I love a cuddly bird, Raven makes it clear he is pretty much hands off with me. It doesn't matter, he's individual and I'm still extremely happy to have such a funny loveable guy with me :).

Last edited:
OP
CFellows

CFellows

Nov 12, 2014
Paisley, Oregon
Parrots
5 year old, Male Sun Conure named Sunny & 20+ year old, Male Blue Front Amazon named Sammy
Ok everyone! I am home with my new blue front amazon, Sammy! He has spent the last 7 years just living in/on his cage. The lady would feed, water and clean his cage but he has not had any interaction. He does not look healthy to me, and the lady did not let him take a bath. How do you teach a bird to take a bath? My conure takes a bath every day and his feathers look great, But Sammy looks like a ragdoll. And Sammy looks skinny to me, you can see the curve of his breast bone. How do you put healthy weight on an amazon?

Attachments

• IMG_9260.jpg
    IMG_9260.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_9261.jpg
    IMG_9261.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9263.jpg
    IMG_9263.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_9269.jpg
    IMG_9269.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 151

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
YAY!!! I'm so happy for you and Sammy.

Honestly, I spray my BFA with a water bottle right now and at the beginning of the shower I usually have to chase him around the cage...just a little...and then he either settles on a perch or the side of the cage and lets me wet him down. He does look a little ratty right now but I think a good bath and some TLC he will come around. Don't I see a lot of pin sheaths on him?

From my experience it doesn't take a lot to fatten up a Amazon. Proper feeding will do the trick in a matter of weeks to months.

I'm so glad that you got him.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I would try a misting bottle and see how he does with that. He will probably appreciate a good bath. His feathers aren't great, but I've seen much, much worse. A good bath will do wonders for that.

I take it he is not tame, and a shower perch would be out of the question? Then a misting bottle would be the next best thing. (My zons enjoy their baths. Most do.)

Healthy weight on an amazon? Usually that would be daily rations of sweet potatoes and corn. I have yet to see a zon not eat that stuff. Even the seed junkies.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Many many congrats on bringing Sammy home!!!! :D

What a handsome fellow! And with a good diet and baths, he'll be looking even better in no time at all.

You could try and place a large bowl (stainless dog dish, if it fits) into his cage and see if he wants to take a bath on his own. If he doesn't, you could use a mister. He may not know what to do with water at first, but 'usually' Amazons LOVE water and baths.

As for diet, try offering him some of the homecooked recipes we have in the diet section.

I am THRILLED for you!!!

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Congratulations! I was hoping you would bring him home!

Welcome to the world of Zon's!

He doesn't look too skinny, and he should gain healthy weight with a good/healthy diet and some excersize to built up his muscles.

As for showers I just put a shower perch in the shower and use the hand held shower head to give Zilla her showers, but you could start with a spray bottle set on mist and spray it above him so a light "mist" falls down onto him and see how that goes.

There are a lot more experienced zon owners on here and I'm sure they will chime in when they find out you have him.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
This is my take on it.

My RLA was a bird that was one of the worst biters we ever had down at the rescue, and I was also told that she was so far gone, and so aggressive and phobic that she would always be a dangerous bird. She was scheduled to be put down...

When I got her she couldn't be handled except wrapped up in a towel. She was a five hour a day re-training project for the first four months I had her.

FOUR MONTHS LATER that same bird was curling up on my shoulder for extended head scratches, using my cheek for a pillow. She was startle trained. She was recalled. She was out and about trained. She would go to anyone. And she became Uber-bonded in the rehab process...

Sally has been with me now for 12 years, and she is the flock leader around here.

She's priceless. One of my most bonded birds ever.

She would have been put to sleep, if I hadn't been willing to take the chance, and do the work... !

She is EXCEPTIONAL!

That's why...

They don't always come that way. You were lucky. Most take work to become that. Sometimes a lot of work.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Congrats on Sammy! I personally think he looks to be a healthy weight. When you take him to the a-vet you'll know for sure. Amazons have a propensity towards obesity and you see A LOT of overweight zons, so a healthy weight bird sometimes looks "skinny" by comparison. I've also noticed BFAs in particular are more streamlined in shape than the bulkier YNAs and DYHs.

I do see a lot of pins on his neck. He looks to be molting right now, which would be contributing to his 'ratty' appearance. This will likely make his a tad grumpy too, so watch out! He would probably enjoy a misting bath over a bird bath. Zons are a tad large to get in a dish of water like your conure can. Crank up the heat and use a NEVER BEEN USED FOR ANYTHING BUT WATER spray bottle filled with warm water to mist him.

Any idea what his diet has been? Just because he wasn't interacted with doesn't necessarily mean he's been on a poor diet too. Things I see when I look at him that indicate overall good health are a healthy beak (not overgrown or excessively chippy), clear eyes, alert look and healthy (albeit probably dirty) feathers. He really (to me) doesn't look unhealthy, just like he's molting (and they do look like old feather dusters when they molt!) and in need of a good bath!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Pecker was ROUND when I got her...

A good diet made her LESS ROUND, but she was always round...

Amazons tend to perch potato and then gravitate toward ROUND...

So a little underweight is easy to correct.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congrats on bringing Sammy home! I am so thrilled for both of you:) I would also try the mist bottle, and perhaps turn on the vacuum...my zons go crazy for a misting with it on. I found a recording of a vacuum on Youtube so I did not have to actually run my vacuum for that long..lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts