so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
24 hours after our vet visit Bella has finally started to talk again.

She got her nails trimmed and a... if toenail care is a pedicure and fingernail care is a manicure what is beak care, Beak a cure :confused:

Anyway the vet smoothed, trimmed and oiled her beak. Then I went and spent twice what I paid for her vet appointment at the pet shop for new toys, pellets, and one o them perches that help keep the toenails from getting to long.

The car ride to the vet was spent climbing around her transfer cage as in the previous car ride.
The trip home she was very chill. Sat on the perch the whole time and I think was glad to be "going home".
I told her repeatedly we were going home and I believe she understood the worst was over.

LeakP. I like your bird's name (Nigel).
In a book by a Hamilton (The Void series and Pandora's star) Nigel is a main character.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wes...I call ANYTHING that is performed on my kids as a "birdicure" :grey: :green: :rolleyes:

As for the rides in the car..I still think with weather permitting,take Ms Bella for short rides..around the block? Thru town? Get her accustomed to noises (traffic/horns honking).

As I have mentioned in one of your other posts,Smokey really didn't travel much,BUT she did get used to it for the most part,after a while.

And Amy started traveling at a very young age,heck,she WAS going to be my side kick in my tractor-trailer lol. And now,because I take her to a lot of places in warm weather,she loves it.
I can have her on my shoulder and look out my front door and tell her it's a nice day out there,and at times she'll say to me "outside?in the car??" SHE KNOWS lol

I'd bet'cha if you gave her rides,by the time summer hits us,she'll be well traveled and enjoy herself :p

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Glad all's well...

About nails... that was always SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stressful for Rb and me. I really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming. It took a few years, but I eventually established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails in 15-ish years. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first. I LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Rb scrubs and polishes AND SHARPENS his beak on them, too.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Glad all's well...

About nails... that was always SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stressful for Rb and me. I really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming. It took a few years, but I eventually established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails in 15-ish years. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first. I LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Rb scrubs and polishes AND SHARPENS his beak on them, too.

Ya Ms Gail...I'm always so very nervous about those nail trimming perch thingies..always thinking they will hurt their little tootsies. :eek:

Jim

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Awwww grooming sometimes can be a chore! Poor Bella!

Nigel's name was my husbands idea and we all liked the name, it seems to fit him.

I have a small pet nail trimmer that Nigel, with protest, allows me to use. I believe I will introduce those perches Gail recommends bit by bit. Nigel has had to learn everything from chewing to climbing around but he's doing well.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Wes...I call ANYTHING that is performed on my kids as a "birdicure" :grey: :green: :rolleyes:

As for the rides in the car..I still think with weather permitting,take Ms Bella for short rides..around the block? Thru town? Get her accustomed to noises (traffic/horns honking).

As I have mentioned in one of your other posts,Smokey really didn't travel much,BUT she did get used to it for the most part,after a while.

And Amy started traveling at a very young age,heck,she WAS going to be my side kick in my tractor-trailer lol. And now,because I take her to a lot of places in warm weather,she loves it.
I can have her on my shoulder and look out my front door and tell her it's a nice day out there,and at times she'll say to me "outside?in the car??" SHE KNOWS lol

I'd bet'cha if you gave her rides,by the time summer hits us,she'll be well traveled and enjoy herself :p

Jim

I was wondering if anyone out there was "trucking" with a parrot. That would be sooo cool.
You hear about other sorts of pets as companions for truckers but a dog would have to go for "walks".
I bet it would make CB conversations more interesting. Try explaning to the FCC that the bad language was actualy from your bird:D

Most Reactions