25 yo male Congo African Grey and needing help with his frequent reguritation and hand humping on me.

renobeano68

Nov 19, 2022
Parrots
African Grey Parrot Male and almost 8 yo.
I recently brought an adorable and SUPER sweet 25-year-old CAG home. He is the sweetest boy, but whenever he sees me, he starts to regurgitate. Even if I'm just coming into the room for even a second, he will just start doing this! Then, when I let him out, he just wants to get on my and start humping me. I have tried to redirect him and have tried getting him to play with a toy or forage... whatever I can think of to distract him! I have had no luck. 😔 I have switched his diet to a seasonal chop diet in the morning and organic pellets in the evening. He gets at least 11 to 12 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night.
I just feel so sad for him. Does anyone have any suggestions???
I would GREATLY APPRECIATE the advice!
Happy 4th of July to all!
Thank you in advance,
Kristie

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hi Kristie! Some questions:

When did this behavior start? Is it something that has started more recently or has it been a problem for a while? Sounds like you got him recently - how long have you had him?

When you handle him do you touch him anywhere other than on the head?

Does he do this exclusively with you or anyone else also?

OP
R

renobeano68

Nov 19, 2022
Parrots
Hi Kristie! Some questions:

When did this behavior start? Is it something that has started more recently or has it been a problem for a while? Sounds like you got him recently - how long have you had him?

When you handle him do you touch him anywhere other than on the head?

Does he do this exclusively with you or anyone else also?
Thank you so much for responding!!!
I have had him for a couple months now and it started as soon as I got him.
I only scratch the top of his head as I know if I touch him elsewhere he become MORE hormonal and I FOR SURE do NOT want that!!! Thank you for asking that though!

He hasn't done this with anyone other than me but I do live alone so really there aren't others around that interact with him. Could that be an issue?

I do have a another CAG male that is 9 years old. My 9 yo.is flighted while Merlin, the 25 yo, hormonal L❤VE came to me clipped 😪

They, of course, have their own cages, but are in the same room with each other.

Merlin, the 25 yo, is the "boss". He will try and assert his dominence over my 9 yo (Kesh Koo) but Kesha is able to just fly away.

Thank you again for responding and ANY advice is so greatly appreciated!
Kristie

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
It sounds like he sees you as his mate! Interesting that it started as soon as you brought him home.

To try to control the hormones I would make sure he gets a solid 12 hours of sleep each night - maybe even try increasing that to 13. You could also try giving him some dried Chamomile flowers in his food or some bird-safe hormone management tea.

Does he do any sort of nesting behaviors in his cage at all? If he has any cozy hut/tent things in his cage I would take those away.

Hopefully some Grey owners will see this to give you more advice. Wishing you the best of luck.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Wow, two African greys?

Can we see??

I hope someone has some ideas for you in regards to the humping.

Whenever my Amazon starts to display breeding behavior he goes into this trance like state or stupor, clucking and flapping. I suppose the next step for him would be to pleasure himself somehow. I just try to distract him, if he is perched on my hand I'll give it a shake.

My Macaw I don't think will give any warning and will just grab your hand in his talon and try to force it into a good spot all the while pretending he's playing.

He never gets far with your hand, not even to second base.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
LOL -'second base' 🤣😂😍🥰😭

Hey look at it like this - he loves you!

OP
R

renobeano68

Nov 19, 2022
Parrots
LOL -'second base' 🤣😂😍🥰😭

Hey look at it like this - he loves you!
Oh boy!!! He sure DOES L❤VE me!!! He really is a total sweetheart 💗 too!

OP
R

renobeano68

Nov 19, 2022
Parrots
It sounds like he sees you as his mate! Interesting that it started as soon as you brought him home.

To try to control the hormones I would make sure he gets a solid 12 hours of sleep each night - maybe even try increasing that to 13. You could also try giving him some dried Chamomile flowers in his food or some bird-safe hormone management tea.

Does he do any sort of nesting behaviors in his cage at all? If he has any cozy hut/tent things in his cage I would take those away.

Hopefully some Grey owners will see this to give you more advice. Wishing you the best of luck.
Thank you VERY MUCH!!! I SINCERELY appreciate you!
He does do nesting behavior. I don't have anything in his cage but he does scratch at the floor and goes straight for my coat rack where can hide. I will try and figure something out with my coat rack! Lol! My younger African Grey is the total opposite!!! I think my younger one wonders what the heck my older one is doing!!! They are so funny to watch! I could sit there an watch them forever! I absolutely am totally in L❤VE with my boys!

I will try the dried Chamamile flowers and some bird-safe hormone management tea.

Again, THANK YOU 😊 🙏 ❤️
I will keep you posted!!!
The 1st picture is of my 9yo, Kesha Koo and the 2nd picture is of Merlin age 25 years young!
20230317_121326.jpg

20230621_131336.jpg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Thank you VERY MUCH!!! I SINCERELY appreciate you!
He does do nesting behavior. I don't have anything in his cage but he does scratch at the floor and goes straight for my coat rack where can hide. I will try and figure something out with my coat rack! Lol! My younger African Grey is the total opposite!!! I think my younger one wonders what the heck my older one is doing!!! They are so funny to watch! I could sit there an watch them forever! I absolutely am totally in L❤VE with my boys!

I will try the dried Chamamile flowers and some bird-safe hormone management tea.

Again, THANK YOU 😊 🙏 ❤️
I will keep you posted!!!
The 1st picture is of my 9yo, Kesha Koo and the 2nd picture is of Merlin age 25 years young!
View attachment 52455

View attachment 52456
Awe they are both adorable!! You are very welcome and I hope all goes well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts