Help needed Indian Ringneck Parrot not eating

hanai325

Nov 24, 2023
Parrots
Teemo
Hello beautiful members, i hope you and your precious floofs are doing great. I recently ( almost 1.5 month ago) rescued an Indian Ringneck (Teemo) from a parrot mill where he was being kept in a very cramped cage with many other birds. The shopkeeper gave him to me for free saying he didnt have long to live anyways. He seemed very sick and hardly had any energy. He had very little trust towards anyone, was super bitey and stayed at the bottom of the cage. I slowly tried to integrate him into his new home, he sneezed alot and stayed puffed up and took heavy breaths which i thought were signs of maybe a cold and respiratory distress. I eventually got him to a better state with giving him steam, some homeopathic medicine (made for birds) and lots of warmth. He started perching and i started to try and convert him from seeds to pellets which hasnt been going great but his appetite had definitely improved. He started to warm up to me and now sleeps on my chest and asks for scritches which im more than happy to give. His current diet consists of pellets (vetafarm which are the only ones available near to me), seed mix, chop and the occasional fruit treat. I dont know his exact age but his ring is developed so i would say he is 2 years and above. He weighed around 117g when i got him and he was around 120g until a few days ago. Everything seemed to be going well but a few days ago i noticed that he stopped eating as much as he did before which scared me a little so i offered him every type of food available to me (bird safe ofc) but he just doesnt want to eat it his weight went down to 118g today ( 2 g loss in around 3 days). Even if he saw me eating something hed run up to me and try to steal it, but he suddenly stopped that as well. Another thing i noticed is that he tends to pace around alot, squaking and screeching trying to flap his wings (he was clipped very brutally when i got him). I feel like maybe he feels lonely ( even though i have spent 90% of the last month and half close with him) and maybe misses flying around but i cant explain why he doesnt want to eat. I also felt around his crop area and it didnt seem hard/compact to me and his poops have been pretty normal as well. I know the obvious answer is to take him to a vet but the thing is there arent good avian vets where i am located (rural pakistan) and also because my mother absolutely will not allow me to take him anywhere, she despises animals and has been quite aggressive towards me for bringing Teemo home. I know i probably shouldnt have brought in a sick bird if i couldnt access a vet but i made an emotional decision and now im quite attached to my little floof ball. If anyone has any recommendations or advice on what i should do, ill be forever grateful. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-02 at 03.41.35.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-02 at 03.41.35.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 16.55.14.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 16.55.14.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 17.04.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-07 at 17.04.23.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 13

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
You are very kind to help this little bird ā¤ļø. It sounds like youā€™ve done a good job with the resources you have available. Itā€™s very difficult to say what is wrong with your Ringneck, but most likely he has stopped eating due to illness. If you have stopped the homeopathic remedy I would try that again. Continue offering him lots of foods, including seeds if thatā€™s what he likes the most. You might also try probiotics which could help if he possibly has something going on internally. Sometimes you can buy powdered probiotics or something like plain yogurt or kefir could also work ( depending on what you have available where you live). I pray your bird will feel better soon ā¤ļø.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You are very kind to help this little bird ā¤ļø. It sounds like youā€™ve done a good job with the resources you have available. Itā€™s very difficult to say what is wrong with your Ringneck, but most likely he has stopped eating due to illness. If you have stopped the homeopathic remedy I would try that again. Continue offering him lots of foods, including seeds if thatā€™s what he likes the most. You might also try probiotics which could help if he possibly has something going on internally. Sometimes you can buy powdered probiotics or something like plain yogurt or kefir could also work ( depending on what you have available where you live). I pray your bird will feel better soon ā¤ļø.
Your floof ball is adorable! I'd follow Jcas' advice, above.

OP
H

hanai325

Nov 24, 2023
Parrots
Teemo
Thank you so much for your reply, I looked into some probiotics i can order online, i attached the ones available below in the photos. Would you be so kind to suggest which one i should go for? Thanks again for your kind words and advice <3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 11.47.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 11.47.12 AM.png
    282.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 11.47.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 11.47.28 AM.png
    326.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 11.48.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 11.48.21 AM.png
    276.7 KB · Views: 14

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Thank you so much for your reply, I looked into some probiotics i can order online, i attached the ones available below in the photos. Would you be so kind to suggest which one i should go for? Thanks again for your kind words and advice <3
Hanai324,
I think the one by Vetafarm might be best. They are a well- known company that seems to make good products.

Most Reactions

Latest posts