3 mustached parakeets - train only 1 or all 3?

Yossi

Apr 6, 2013
I just got 3 mustached parakeets.
They are all 5-7 weeks old but 1 of them looks younger.
His chest feathers aren't fully grown (small center parts with no feathers) and his legs are also with just a few feathers.
The one that looks younger is kinda hyper. He's the only one that would actually step forward and come to me to take some food from me.
He also goes around the cage and doesn't respect to much the other 2. He would step on them or move them until he gets what he wants.
The other 2 are more calm and would eat from my hand if I bring it next to their mouth.
I don't think I would have time to give all 3 one on one attention...
Should I try & train the hyper parakeet?
Should I train 1 of the calm ones?
What should I do?
Thanks for reading... Your reply is highly appreciated
:green:

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
OK, I have to ask you, why did you decide to get three? Are you wanting a pair to grow up together and breed? Are they siblings? Are you wanting them just for companionship?

If it were me I would want to train all three and work with them separately to encourage them to bond primarily with me. IMO it's just easier to care for parrots that are tamed. Easier to change out food, clip nails, clean cages etc. But then, that will take up a lot of time as you are realizing. I think you have your hands full!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I agree with Peeker, but I would keep them in separate cages or they will bond together & be harder to train.....

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I also agree with peeker. Make time to train each bird, if you can't rethink your decision to bring three young birds into your life.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you can find a treat that they all enjoy, you might try training them all at the same time. May be difficult but it might also be fun. Birds can learn by example, so it's possible that if one bird learns something, the others can too if they see it in action.

Imagine if you could train all three to turn around on cue, at the same time! :D

Most Reactions