4 month IRN who wont wean off his formula

Zazu4234

May 29, 2023
Parrots
Indian ringneck
I have a 4 month 2 week yrs old IRN. I love him I got him when he was a lil baby, heading bobbing, peanut brittle. He is a sweet angel who kind of entering his bluffing stage. I had fed him and at 3 months I tried to slowly wean him off and I offer him a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, pellets and lots of yummy treats and snacks. When I tell you this bird has a whole drawer full of yummy foods but throughout the day its as if he just plays with his food and barely eats any or he is too busy playing and completely forgets about food. Than when he starts to get hungry he will fly over to me and I know he wants his formula because he gives me the signal of nibbling my ear or when im in the kitchen he immediately flies over coz he thinks i am making his food and he loves to watch and gets very excited. I feed him Kaytee formula but i dont add water i juice a fruit or vegetables and use that water he loves it especially when i crush cherry juice into his formula or mango. I am afraid he will become dependent on me feeding him and he wont fed himself he wont fill his own tummy. How do I get him to wean off the formula and eat on his own to the point where he feels full and not begging me for formula?

Attachments

• fb8c30df-9ab3-4113-b95d-0d1601e12cdd.jpeg
    fb8c30df-9ab3-4113-b95d-0d1601e12cdd.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 22

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a 4 month 2 week yrs old IRN. I love him I got him when he was a lil baby, heading bobbing, peanut brittle. He is a sweet angel who kind of entering his bluffing stage. I had fed him and at 3 months I tried to slowly wean him off and I offer him a variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, pellets and lots of yummy treats and snacks. When I tell you this bird has a whole drawer full of yummy foods but throughout the day its as if he just plays with his food and barely eats any or he is too busy playing and completely forgets about food. Than when he starts to get hungry he will fly over to me and I know he wants his formula because he gives me the signal of nibbling my ear or when im in the kitchen he immediately flies over coz he thinks i am making his food and he loves to watch and gets very excited. I feed him Kaytee formula but i dont add water i juice a fruit or vegetables and use that water he loves it especially when i crush cherry juice into his formula or mango. I am afraid he will become dependent on me feeding him and he wont fed himself he wont fill his own tummy. How do I get him to wean off the formula and eat on his own to the point where he feels full and not begging me for formula?
How much formula total is he eating per day (volume)?

OP
Z

Zazu4234

May 29, 2023
Parrots
Indian ringneck
How much formula total is he eating per day (volume)?
I fill up a 10ml syringe but he only eats 6ml once in the morning and once at night and sometimes if i stay u really late he wants it than too

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I fill up a 10ml syringe but he only eats 6ml once in the morning and once at night and sometimes if i stay u really late he wants it than too
Don't cut his hand feedings off abruptly because he may become very anxious and beg even more. I would slowly reduce the amount at each syringe feeding over a few weeks while making sure he has a wide variety of healthy foods available to him at all times. He doesn't need to eat as much as he did when he was a rapidly growing chick. Just watch to make sure he's eating some on his own. I strongly recommend that you weigh him every few days using a gram scale. Weigh him before his am hand feeding. If his weight is normal for an adult IRN and he isn't losing weight he won't starve as you gently wean him off the last hand feedings. Consult an avian vet if you have any more questions or if he starts losing weight. Good luck with your baby!

OP
Z

Zazu4234

May 29, 2023
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Don't cut his hand feedings off abruptly because he may become very anxious and beg even more. I would slowly reduce the amount at each syringe feeding over a few weeks while making sure he has a wide variety of healthy foods available to him at all times. He doesn't need to eat as much as he did when he was a rapidly growing chick. Just watch to make sure he's eating some on his own. I strongly recommend that you weigh him every few days using a gram scale. Weigh him before his am hand feeding. If his weight is normal for an adult IRN and he isn't losing weight he won't starve as you gently wean him off the last hand feedings. Consult an avian vet if you have any more questions or if he starts losing weight. Good luck with your baby!
Thank you I will try that… and my bird is pretty hefty people who hold him say he will pretty heavy and that they own sun Conure fully grown and they weight less also since I have already got you here what kind and which brand of bird food should i feed my indian ringneck? They dont really market any foods for INR just conures african greys cocktails and flinches

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you I will try that… and my bird is pretty hefty people who hold him say he will pretty heavy and that they own sun Conure fully grown and they weight less also since I have already got you here what kind and which brand of bird food should i feed my indian ringneck? They dont really market any foods for INR just conures african greys cocktails and flinches
I've never had an IRN. Some other PF members have them, so hopefully they will respond to that question, or look in the archives for threads about IRN dietary needs. Good luck with you baby!

Most Reactions

Latest posts