6 Months and still going strong

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I can't believe it's been 6 months already. Bosley is still changing all the time, getting more and more comfortable.

His newest thing now is flying to me, he's a great flier and is loving it.
His favorite place to be is on me and he is such a loving bird. I consider myself so lucky, when we first got him I would of been happy if I could give him a scratch now and then. He has turned into a complete cuddle bug and best companion. He steps up most of the time now and I can pick him up anytime without towelling him, it is truly amazing.

We recently took him to back to the vet for a nail trim and to follow up with his eye issue and occasional sneezing. Vet says he's in great shape.
He was great at the vet and didn't cry/scream at all. I think he said I want to go home while we were waiting for the vet though LOL.

The only thing is he still is a picky eater, still trying to find ways to get healthy food into him. I have a feeling this is a work in progress but I am slowly winning the battlle LOL

Just goes to show you, sometimes adopting an older bird can work out well.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Great update! I have adopted birds as well and love that you adopted an older bird. It's nice to hear the vet report is good news and things are going well!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
SWEET update, Sandy! I got goosebumps reading it! Bosley and you were meant to be, NO doubt in my mind! He's hit the jackpot with you - AND vice versa. ;)

It will only get better, and even though you may find it's still a struggle to get him to eath the "right" stuff, he's healthy and happy - which is the most important thing in the world.

Sandy..I have a wee tiny request, IF it's not too much trouble, could you post a picture or two or more of your gorgeous baby?? :D

OP
SandyBee

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
Thanks Wendy,

He is also a little trouble maker, getting into everything.
It's nice to see him curious and active.
He's also been surprising us with a few odd words here and there, I can't wait to see what he'll be like as time goes on.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I love it when a people and a zon find each other. Good work with the Bos(ley).

OP
SandyBee

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
Thanks for all the support and kind words.
I wouldn't of been able to do it without all of you and all the valuable information in this forum.

I have never had a bird before so getting an Amazon was taking a chance, never mind an older one. Even the sanctuary/rescue we got him from is amazed. They thought he was a good bird but he wasn't exactly social. In the whole time he was there they never managed to get him to step up at all. I guess he just needed to find his human that he would trust enough.

And he still hates any kind of stick, we got him a new pediperch for his cage. Yeah that's just not going to happen. I tried putting in his cage, he would climb the ceiling to avoid it. Have had it where he can see it on my couch, he won't even go near it.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
And he still hates any kind of stick, we got him a new pediperch for his cage. Yeah that's just not going to happen. I tried putting in his cage, he would climb the ceiling to avoid it. Have had it where he can see it on my couch, he won't even go near it.

Your description of Bosely climbing to the ceiling to avoid the pediperch made me giggle, lol.

Does he like rope perches? What about natural branches, or is he afraid of those, too?

OP
SandyBee

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
It was a sight to see, he was crawling his back wall and ceiling.
No luck with natural branches either. Rope perches he has a rope hoop swing in his cage that he accepts, but doesn't go on. We bought another one rope perch, he wasn't scared but didn't like either.
On his play stand he has being doing his own customization of his dowel though.

He might accept more as time goes on though, he didn't play much with toys at first, now he happily destroys most anything(not in his cage though)
The vet and the sanctuary believe that him not playing much in his cage is mostly due to his age and the fact that he gets so much out time(prefers to sleep, preen and watch TV). When I am home he is out.

I love the fact that he is flying now, I can put him down on the counter and he will fly to me every time the last few days.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hey, at least he can do his thing with the dowels, and you're right, him flying is phenomenal and SO good for him! It will surely boost his confidence. :)

Gosh, he was THAT petrified of it that he laid on his back? :eek: Poor guy!

But I think you're right...as time goes on, he'll probably change his mind about those things and will realize he can chew natural perches, too. :D...and that they won't hurt him.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Sandy nice progress for it only being 6 months!! Does he like his fabric toy ? Ive seen them but never used one.

OP
SandyBee

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
Sandy nice progress for it only being 6 months!! Does he like his fabric toy ? Ive seen them but never used one.

He loves it!! Got it for $2.00 when we first got Bosley.
We play catch with it, he loves to attack it especially when hubby throws it to him. Gets him really worked up and hyper.

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Bosley is looking great. I like this old guy and how they are getting much more brightener when they age :)

Most Reactions