7wk old Tuki

ace1981.jr

Apr 12, 2015
Trujillo Alto, PR
Parrots
African grey
Jenday conjure
Hi guys first time posting. This is Tuki, he was given to me about two weeks ago after I made a nest for a friend and his pair had two babies.

Sadly his brother/sister was killed last sunday by a dog. It wasn't until a couple days after I got Tuki that I noticed one of the tips of his wing is missing. I guess i wont have to clip his wings. I named it Tuki beacause in spanish tuco means missing a limb
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.htc.sense.browser/files/TMP

Attachments

• IMAG0666.jpg
    IMAG0666.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 144

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry to hear about the birds killed by the dog! Are you certain that Tuki was not scratched or touched by the dog? If that is how the wing tip was cut the dog could have scratched him as well, in which case a vet check might be a good idea since mammalian saliva can be deadly to birds. (Saliva Is Dangerous For Parrots) Good luck with your birds!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and Welcome! What an adorable baby and a cute friend keeping him company.

I'm sorry to hear about Tuki's hatch mates. I agree with Julianna, Tuki probably needs to be examined by a vet sooner rather than later. Infection is a dangerous possibility after an encounter with a dog.

Good luck with your new addition. Please keep us updated.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome and what a cutie! I'm sorry to hear he lost his siblings (and by the sounds of it) himself was attacked by the dog. Hopefully there are no predatory animals in your home (?). I agree, a visit to the vet just to be safe is probably in order.

Curious if your conure has decided to play parent bird to Tuki? They look quite happy together!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
WHAT is this conure doing in my spot?!

OP
ace1981.jr

ace1981.jr

Apr 12, 2015
Trujillo Alto, PR
Parrots
African grey
Jenday conjure
Thanks guys. Tuki never came out of the nest, I removed them from the nest myself. So whatever it was either he was born with or happened during the month he was in the nest.

The other chick was in another home when it was killed. I should know this week what sex it is.

Lucas is my jenday. He'll be 9 wks, ive had him for 3 wks.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
What a cutie...can you get a picture of the wing tip? It would be interesting to see this. Could be it didn't fully develop or the parents did it.

OP
ace1981.jr

ace1981.jr

Apr 12, 2015
Trujillo Alto, PR
Parrots
African grey
Jenday conjure
Here's a view of the wing and the other for comparison

Attachments

• CYMERA_20150412_200814.jpg
    CYMERA_20150412_200814.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 980

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Are all the toenails and toes there? Many times if the parents nip at the babies they go after toes as well as wingtips. If this was done by the parents it was when the baby was very young as the feather sheaths that are they don't look damaged or deformed. It still could be congenital as well. There is still enough wing there that the baby will most likely adapt quite well.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. Sometimes the parent birds try to help the baby out of the egg... and do all sorts of unintentional damage...

OP
ace1981.jr

ace1981.jr

Apr 12, 2015
Trujillo Alto, PR
Parrots
African grey
Jenday conjure
Toes are all accounted for. Yeah i dont think he'll have a problem because of the missing piece of wing he just wont be able to fly. He flaps it just like the normal wing so there arent any issues w/ mobility

OP
ace1981.jr

ace1981.jr

Apr 12, 2015
Trujillo Alto, PR
Parrots
African grey
Jenday conjure
This will be tuki's home once he's old enough. Its my mother in laws but its been sitting outside for years.

Attachments

• IMAG0439.jpg
    IMAG0439.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 75
OP
ace1981.jr

ace1981.jr

Apr 12, 2015
Trujillo Alto, PR
Parrots
African grey
Jenday conjure
Well I found out today. She's a girl!! I keep wishing for boys and the almighty gives me girls. Just like my first born. Its currently 83 at night here in PR and summer hasnt even gotten here. She's all streched out.

Attachments

• IMAG0686.jpg
    IMAG0686.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 89

Most Reactions

Latest posts