A big scare and a warning.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I underestimated Captain Jack and almost lost him due to that. I leave his cage open during the day. On Sunday I was heading out the door when he just flew past me and flew into a tree! The trees in my neighbor hood are big and not with branches you can climb up in. He flew around from tree to tree for a little bit (due to some black birds chasing him). I felt so bad and felt I lost him for good. I kept calling and calling for him in hopes he would fly back. Luckily he decided to circle back and landed in back into the tree this time in the lower branches) in my driveway. I brought his cage out and brought a chair out to sit in and tried to encourage him to come down. I think he wanted to come down but he did not now how to go about it. After five hours animal control came and got him out of the tree. He went to the vets yesterday and was inspected and got his wings clipped. I was told to keep a eye on his feet (the vets main concern was exposer to parasites). Luckily, it turned out good for me and Captain Jack at the end. I learned a big lesson about not underestimating the little guy. I am also glad these birds were not able to hurt hum. He was pretty clingy when I got him back. He also drank his water and gobbled up his food. Here is the pictures I took of him before he went to the vets.

11351230_10207134846435340_7028618225647315497_n.jpg

11229755_10207134846915352_7476066769816325658_n.jpg

11393255_10207134847955378_9219120926872859352_n.jpg

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
How scary for you both! I'm so glad you got him back!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What a horrible ordeal to have gone through - both of you! :eek: I am certainly very happy you got Captain Jack back!! Gosh, you had to have been absolutely horrified to have him fly right by you out the door.

The importance of training pet birds to fly 'downwards' cannot be stressed enough. Quite easy to go up, up and away, but flying down takes entirely different skills.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am so glad Cpt. Jack is ok! That must've been terribly frightening for you both. A very good reminder for those with flying birds to always be sure they're up when your opening doors/going in and out.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
WOW! I am so glad this story has a fantastic ending! That must have been horrifying! Captain Jack is adorable, I'm thrilled he's back at home and has no lasting reminders of his adventure. I commend you for being able to act fast in an emergency and also for having your little guy checked out by a vet.

OP
Abigal7

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
What a horrible ordeal to have gone through - both of you! :eek: I am certainly very happy you got Captain Jack back!! Gosh, you had to have been absolutely horrified to have him fly right by you out the door.

The importance of training pet birds to fly 'downwards' cannot be stressed enough. Quite easy to go up, up and away, but flying down takes entirely different skills.

I need to look into doing recall training with him. Of course I will now on lock his cage door before opening the house door.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Yikes how scary!
Glad he's home.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
On training to fly down. Mine have picked some up on their out. A made a rope perch form their cages to my bed for my tiel. At first he couldn't fly and I wanted him to have a way to come to me. The keets will fly down about 3 feet to land on the perch. Is this a good start?

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
So glad this very scary story had a happy ending!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Whew! I'm glad to hear Captain Jack is okay! So glad you got him back, how terrifying that must have been for you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts