A bit worried about Cookie...

OP
ChocolateChipCookiez
Jan 16, 2019
Maldives, H.Dh Kulhudhuffushi
Parrots
White-faced 'tiel (Cookie). Pied Budgie (Pepper).
Yiu have not said if you are following my advice about giving yogurt! This can be a huge help to your bird, and one if tge few things you can do.

The addition of live culture yogurt wih no artificial sweetners, will help if yiur burd has a yeast infection! A common thing tgst can get out if wack in a bird. Also will help balance if your bird has a bacterial overgrowth. Is safe to give and won't harm them , and has a chance to really help. I found it really helped my bird at 1/2 teasooon a day, for a week, then every other day for a couple if weeks. I learned from other members here the importance of the addition of probiotic!!! I found yogurt to contain many of the same strains of beneficial organism. And yogurt is the preferred way for many, as tge burd eats it readily. With powders you sprinkle on tge food unknown amounts are ingested.

Also never put anything in the burds water. Yiu fo t add vitamin to tge water or anyt fo you ??

Except mention weightloss linked with yeast infection , and the importance of weight checks

" Many types of diseases such as yeast infection, parasites, or goiter may result in weight loss, so a veterinarian examination will help find the cause and process to initiate treatment
arrow-up-icon

Diagnosis of Weight Change in Birds
Because of the very nature of your bird in wanting to keep its health status hidden, the best way to determine any impending health problems is to be aware of slight behavioral changes. Performing this observation when your bird is not aware of it is best. As well as that, if you teach your bird to become used to being weighed and you establish a baseline of normal weight, any noticeable fluctuation from the normal weight will be the best estimation on its health. There will be slight changes on a daily basis due to what is happening in your bird’s life that need to be taken into consideration. "

Regarding the yogurt, I tried that today but Cookie did not like it. I'll try some different ways of getting Cookie to try some tomorrow since it's late here now.

I didn't put anything in Cookies water. I understand why I shouldn't.

Cookie's become pretty accustomed to being weighed daily. I don't have a T-perch so I just put a sunflower seed on the scale and Cookie hops right on. I'm sure he'll begin associating the scale with treats soon.

Speaking of weighing, Cookie's gained a bit of weight! I weighed him right before I gave him some formula and he was at 80g, which is a huge improvement from his previous 76g. After I fed him his weight was at 83g. I also saw a little bit of dried carrot and greens on his beak which tells me that he probably ate some veggies!

OP
ChocolateChipCookiez
Jan 16, 2019
Maldives, H.Dh Kulhudhuffushi
Parrots
White-faced 'tiel (Cookie). Pied Budgie (Pepper).
I tried giving Cookie some yogurt this morning. He would not try it at all. I tried giving it from the spoon, on my finger and even from the yogurt cup itself. This morning I mixed a bit of water with the yogurt and tried to give it to him by putting it on the spoon we use to feed formula (the type with the edges curled up).

He also seems to have some weight gain. I weighed him this morning as soon as he woke up and he was at 79g. After I gave him his formula he was at 82g.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Glad he is gaining weight. You can just add/ mix in the formula.

Try other flavors

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
just keep tracking the weight- a lot of that is probably food weight, but if it sticks, then that is promising

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
this bird is two years old, it shouldn't need formula feeds... but I'd keep those up to get the probiotic ( yogurt ) in him, and until you can figure out weight-loss.......
Can you take a picture of poop for us to look at?

Also please check that your scale is accurate by weighing an object ten times in row. Some scales aren't supper accurate...check to what decimal point your scale is accurate to.

You really only need to weigh once a day, usually first thing in morning after the morning big poop

Most Reactions

Latest posts